PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I need help defending Linux!

brennydoogles
November 24th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I am doing a speech in one of my classes on why people should switch to Linux, and I plan on handing out Ubuntu CD's to everyone in the class. What I need to do this effectively however, is a wealth of resources and Ideas. I already know that I will talk about improved security over windows (although if anyone has any sources that are somewhat non-technical that would be great), freedom (speech and beer), and posibly mention that several governments have begun using linux (although I don't know exactly which ones or how many so any help would be appreciated!) . If anyone has any helpful statistics or sources for me it would be unbelievably helpful, and if anyone has any good (intelligent) approaches that I could use let me know!! Thanks in advance!!

dips_xe
November 24th, 2007, 11:36 PM
well, that's a lot of information, do some research yourself. i'm sure wikipedia has lots of good articles like...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Windows_and_Linux

also, i don't know about handing out ubuntu discs to your (potentially stupid) classmates. you might get blamed for wiping their hard drive, who knows...

erfahren
November 24th, 2007, 11:37 PM
advancing one's computer skills

PurposeOfReason
November 24th, 2007, 11:37 PM
My option wasn't there, but freedom was close. I like the idea of open source.

jken146
November 24th, 2007, 11:42 PM
http://www.getgnulinux.org/

Look through the news at, for example, linux.org to find out what's going on in terms of linux adoption around the world. Today there was an article about Macedonian schools using Edubuntu in all their classrooms. I think Peugeot (or some other French car manufacturer anyway) run their computers exclusively on Linux now.

IMO people should only use Linux if it is right for them. Some people are just more comfortable using Windows or Mac, or don't care enough to take the time to learn a new OS. If I were you I'd talk about software freedom and why I use Linux, not try to shove it down people's throats (that never works).

There's a lot to be said about how bad Windows is (perceived to be) and how evil MS is, but you should concentrate on the positives (IMO).

gn2
November 24th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Didn't vote because the reason I switched isn't there in the options.

I just wanted to use Linux because it's technically superior and requires little or no maintenance after it's installed.
I just find it a more pleasant experience than the Microsoft eXPerience.
Certainly didn't want to ever have to pay for another licence again.

Once Ubuntu's set the way you want and all the apps you need are loaded, you're done.

Windows on the other hand is an attention freak that demands constant maintenance and medical intervention..

Hang on, I've changed my mind, I think I will vote after all.....

bluepowder7
November 24th, 2007, 11:49 PM
ya, the choices are kinda limiting, but still my closest option was "Sick of windows". sick in that it's getting more and more restricted, bloated, and just not as "friendly" and enjoyable as it used to be. i still have win2k and winxp on my machines, so i'm not TOTALLY kicking it to the curb, but i do appreciate the various parts of entering LinuxLand.

* it's free to get, and the applications are free. i haven't got the skills to contribute, but i certainly do applaud the efforts of those who have made it what it is today!

* there are HUGE communities of support, and people who figure out how to make stuff work that the manufacturers don't bother with are a godsend

* stuff just seems to work (though that's something the user has to experience before they actually realize it) without having to futz around too much

* it brings me back to my good ol' DOS days, where you could manually tweak stuff and learn about the various operations. the CLI is suddently wonderful to use! brings a tear to my eye. :)

* someone on here had a "WinXP is not ready for the desktop" link in their sig, and the post it refers to is BRILLIANT. again, hard to truly appreciate how friendly linux can actually be until the user tries it out and compares it to what windows needs to have done to it

* bloody hell it just LOOKS cool, it's different, unique, fun, and very crash-friendly

windows still has its uses, mostly driven by the corporate software authors, but 95% of the time i'm using linux.

mivo
November 24th, 2007, 11:52 PM
I switched to Linux because it is the better OS for what I do with my computer. I am more productive with Linux (and I don't have a "technical job"), get better performance out of my machines, and have more control over what is running. Freedom and independence from a monopolist also played a role. The quality of the software and its integration were also considerations. And finally, I like to learn new stuff, and Linux offers numerous opportunities to gain new IT skills.

Edit: Oh, and I don't think Linux needs "defending". Just present the advantages and let people decide which OS is best for them. Evangelizing often has the opposite effect.

odinb
November 24th, 2007, 11:55 PM
5 biggest reasons:

1. Security: Due to the way unix/linux is built with its user rights, it is a lot harder to infect it with spyware, virus and worms. Also, scripting is less dangerous due to this (javascript in your browser).

2. Cost of purchase and ownership: Why pay for an operating system that takes all your rights away (Vista) and only tries to lure you into a vendor-lock-in situatiuon, and by the way, you still do not own it even if you paid for it (read the Vista EULA)! Getting applications is also a lot easier, and usually free on linux. Most MS-apps has very similar versions on linux.

3. Hardware: You do not have to buy new hardware everytime you upgrade. You do not have to buy all new peripherals everytime you upgrade. Most hardware today works with linux. Some "bleeding edge" hardware might have some issues.

4. Administration: with todays packet managers (adept anyone?) you will upgrade the OS adn all apps in minutes. Try that on a windows system! Remote login for helping out your father-in-law is a breeze on linux!

5. Dell: You can no longer say that the machines sold does not support other OSes! Dell even preinstalls machines with Ubuntu!

Why pay for bloatware that has 47 processes just for spying on you (and again, you still do not own it)?
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forget-about-the-WGA-20-Windows-Vista-Features-and-Services-Harvest-User-Data-for-Microsoft-58752.shtml

I no longer have my father-in-law calling me with stupid user questions after I moved him to Kubuntu from Win XP. Now he scans, prints, copies, downloads pictures from his camera, streams video over the internet and uses his webcam. All of this was a nightmare to get him to do previously, so usability gets a point as well....

Example of companies/government agencies running Linux:
Swedish Apoteket (Government monopoly pharmacy) http://www.idg.se/2.1085/1.121599
Swedish Police http://www.disa.nu/?q=node/170
German Police http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-11-19-009-26-NW-DP-PB

Daveski
November 24th, 2007, 11:59 PM
You could simply inform people of the alternatives to Commercial software and Operating Systems. Many people do not realise that they do have choice. You should not try to persuade anyone to switch from commercial software, if that software fits their needs and they are happy with (an understand) its software license.

I believe the goal should be simply to promote choice, and if your choice is to use proprietary or commercial software, then that is great.

Here are my tips for giving out free Ubuntu CD's:

1 - Point out that it is their choice to try or install Linux - and that is what Linux is all about: Choice.
2 - Advise that most of the time Linux is simple, but at times Linux will be difficult. The positive is that YOU will be in complete control of your computer and the data stored on

Irihapeti
November 25th, 2007, 12:25 AM
My main reason wasn't in the poll, either. It's curiosity. I'm always intrigued by something different. Of course, now that I've tried Ubuntu I know that several of the other reasons also apply.

Curiosity is a powerful emotion - ask any rubbernecker! But seriously, there's a lot more to a decision than just the technical side. If people feel anxious about stepping outside their comfort zone into something new, make a point of saying that the live CD is all about trying it with no obligation. If they enjoy being different, here's their chance. If they like to go with a crowd, Ubuntu is one of the most popular distros. I could go on but I'm sure you are bright enough to be able to think up other ones.

Best of luck
Irihapeti

ericartman
November 25th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Join Slashdot and do a search for Linux articles. Pros and Cons galore along with links to news articles.

Cart

Orbital75
November 25th, 2007, 12:44 AM
I'd say pretty much " all the above "

nikoPSK
November 25th, 2007, 12:49 AM
It should be multiple choice poll, but yeah, I got a virus, IE was hi-jacked so I'm like screw this. I am completely ubuntu.

rexxxlo
November 25th, 2007, 12:52 AM
i am just fed up with paying for a new new license every time i have a hardware failure or upgrade and having to re validate bl bla bla

it just works

there is included free software that does everything that a windows machine does (that is huge) no more having to pirate and crack software helps

and i like to learn new things too

ByteJuggler
November 25th, 2007, 12:58 AM
This article should provide good food for thought:
http://www.dwheeler.com/oss_fs_why.html

mikewhatever
November 25th, 2007, 12:58 AM
My main reason wasn't in the poll, either. It's curiosity. I'm always intrigued by something different. Of course, now that I've tried Ubuntu I know that several of the other reasons also apply.

Curiosity is a powerful emotion - ask any rubbernecker! But seriously, there's a lot more to a decision than just the technical side. If people feel anxious about stepping outside their comfort zone into something new, make a point of saying that the live CD is all about trying it with no obligation. If they enjoy being different, here's their chance. If they like to go with a crowd, Ubuntu is one of the most popular distros. I could go on but I'm sure you are bright enough to be able to think up other ones.

Best of luck
Irihapeti

+1. Never had any problems with Windows XP.

bobpur
November 25th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Send them to: www.distrowatch.com. There you will find distros for networking, servers, forensics, desktop, and scientific use.
Check out the cost of a Windows machine versus the same machine with Linux installed.
Look around the forums and tell them to check it out for themselves. If they read for themselves, you won't have to defend anything.
You could tell them how to resurrect an old computer with the proper distro.

Good Luck

nikoPSK
November 25th, 2007, 01:00 AM
I only got blue screens 3 times, not bad:lolflag: But yeah, that virus pissed me off same with scanning and defraging each 2 weeks.

dips_xe
November 25th, 2007, 01:56 AM
also, an engaging activity you could have everyone do is to use your personal laptop or desktop, and have xfce/kde/gnome/beryl/and a few minimalist window managers installed, let your classmates mess around on the computer a little and show them os alternatives to windows programs that they're used to.

nikoPSK
November 25th, 2007, 02:44 AM
My laptop:

128 RAM
267 MGz Processor
heavens know how much Hard-drive space....

Find me a distro please!

Earl_Maroon
November 25th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Show off the jelly effect when dragging windows and the pulse screensaver. I converted a friend on the strength of just those.

Billy_McBong
November 25th, 2007, 02:56 AM
i put Linux on a spare computer because it was getteng the BSOD all the time(it had hardware problems but crashed much less in Ubuntu)

shortly after that i put it on my main machine

gn2
November 25th, 2007, 02:59 AM
My laptop:

128 RAM
267 MGz Processor
heavens know how much Hard-drive space....

Find me a distro please!

Feather Linux: http://featherlinux.berlios.de/about.htm

KIAaze
November 25th, 2007, 02:59 AM
What does "I'm Po'" mean?

There are also some options missing like work and hobby. (and lots of others: fun, eye candy, etc)
I didn't switch to GNU/Linux because of Freedom, but it is a strong reason for me to stick with it. :)

Majorix
November 25th, 2007, 03:02 AM
The reason I switched to Linux is, believe or not, the terminal.

It is great if you can automate tasks by writing a script, which you can't do under Windows.

Plus the freedom is also important. As in speech. As in beer, well, we all know how to get them for free anyways, don't speak that out loud though :)

Viruses, I never get one on Windows. You just have to be a little smart and careful. So security was not a matter in my case.

And finally, configurability. Like you (OP) have in your sig, you can even remove all your home directory at once, without Linux bugging you with talking paperclips etc. You can do whatever you want to your computer to get the most out of it.

Good luck with your speech.

gn2
November 25th, 2007, 03:06 AM
What does "I'm Po'" mean?

Either it mean's I'm a Teletubby, or I'm P####d Off

http://www.teletubbies.co.uk/en/eh-oh-po.asp

Majorix
November 25th, 2007, 03:07 AM
I believe it means "I am poor"

jordanmthomas
November 25th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Either it mean's I'm a Teletubby, or I'm P####d Off

http://www.teletubbies.co.uk/en/eh-oh-po.asp

I thought it meant "I'm poor"

nikoPSK
November 25th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Feather Linux: http://featherlinux.berlios.de/about.htm

I;ll try:D

I've tried

damn small
puppy
Arch
Vector
Xubuntu
and more

NavyRSt
November 25th, 2007, 03:16 AM
I voted "I'm Po'" for the spirit of the venture that I started with a computer that I picked up with a friend. I wanted to prove to a few buddies that I could get a box that would normally be considered a bookend/doorstop/landfill brick/etc. into a computer that runs most everyday programs/files for nothing more than your time.

Just for info purposes the computer is a 600 MHz PIII; 512Mb RAM; 32Mb video card; no operating system or restore CD.

Other than games or big videos it runs like a champ.

Brett

Gripp
November 25th, 2007, 03:40 AM

* stuff just seems to work (though that's something the user has to experience before they actually realize it) without having to futz around too much

sorry man, i gotta disagree... EVERYTHING i have ever done with linux has ended up requiring hours of research, workarounds and posting to forums... i would think the fact that linux forums are typically so busy speaks to this affect..

but, as for me, it is the ability to get in and do whatever you want with your computer without a million things trying to stop you
plus the community and all the great stuff that is made by linux users that simply could never be made by windows users b/c of M$ crap

i think the looks sell most people really though
i would show a vid of XGL/compiz/beryl/Enlightenment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q45pTiJ1sz8&feature=related
is a decent and somewhat short demo of that

good luck!!

Linuxratty
November 25th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Well,I did it because of security reasons, due to WGA, and the other creepy stuff everyone knows about...
I also just wanted something different...After all,I used Windows since the early 90's and i felt it was time for a change.
And Windows, no matter how they prettied up the gui,it was still Windows. And this OS has always had a huge neon sign over it and an arrow pointing to it's core...And the sign reads:"INFECT ME!!!"
Tired of worrying about infections, even though I took security very seriously.I feel a lot less paranoid running Linux.
Good luck with your talk...I hope it goes well.

DeadSuperHero
November 25th, 2007, 05:09 AM
I switched to Linux because I was sick of Windows errors, sick of spending hours trying to find a free Windows codec, sick of not being able to modify my system to look how I want, sick of feeling more and more bloated by the antivirus software, and the viruses it missed, and I was mostly sick of Windows because it ruined my hard drives. After about 6 months, my Windows hard drive dies. I've been using Linux for a solid year without many problems.

Why do I still use Linux?
-It's free.
-It's legal.
-It's customizable.
-It's not locked down by vendors much. (media codecs)
-Anything exessively important usually comes in a repo.
-The community is amazing.
-It has all the things I used back in Windows, only they're better.
-Stable as a brick, unless you purposely try to damage it.

With all of that, who can argue?

brennydoogles
November 25th, 2007, 05:46 AM
For those of you who have posted helpful links, thank you. I want to clarify what I am doing and why though, so that maybe we can come up with a truly compelling case for Linux. I am speaking to a college classroom full of people who already know quite a bit about open source software (because my previous speech for this class was on open source software, and included a brief section on Linux). My assignment is to give a persuasive speech on why they should switch to Linux. I have chosen to talk more specifically about Ubuntu because I feel it will be most likely to fit the needs of more of the class than any other distro. Since the class knows about OSS and Linux, I want to focus on why Linux will better suit their needs and wants than windows (along with the obvious disclaimer that Linux is not ready for everyone, and that you should use whatever OS will let you do what you need). Because of the nature of the assignment, what I need is data which can be used to backup my claims... such as a comparison of the number of windows Viruses VS Linux Viruses, or some other data which suggests that Linux is at least as usable as windows. Thank you all so much for your help!!

Flying caveman
November 25th, 2007, 05:47 AM
All of the above.

AusIV4
November 25th, 2007, 06:11 AM
I use Linux for all of the above reasons, and then some.

1) FREEDOM!!!!
I like being able to control everything that runs on my system. With Ubuntu, there are very few binary blobs that run on my system, as opposed to Windows - in which the system is a binary blob.

2) Sick of windows
Where to start? Boot time. Viruses. Processes that are running in background and I have no idea how to stop them. Corrupted registry entries. Everything costs money.

3) Security
Security is something that should be built into an operating system. With Linux, discretionary access control greatly reduces the risk of security breaches without having anything extra running in background. With Windows if you want to keep your system from getting bogged down with viruses, you have to run security suite that bogs down your system.

4) Vista
For years I was everybody's go-to guy for computer help. With the advent of Vista, I can honestly say "I've never used Vista and it's been over a year since I ran XP, I'm not going to be much help."

5) I'm Po'
I run a desktop, a laptop, and a virtual machine (for development). If I'd had to pay for an OS license for each, I'd at least have to forgo the virtual machine. If I had to pay a yearly fee for a security suite for each as well, the desktop would probably go too. The costs of running Ubuntu are definitely a benefit.

gn2
November 25th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I thought it meant "I'm poor"

Ah, noo ah ken fit eh OP wis spikkin aboot.

corney91
November 25th, 2007, 05:16 PM
For me, it was about the choices. I could customize everything, so I didn't have the same desktop as everyone else.
I also learnt alot about computers, but I don't think that was my initial intent:)

arashiko28
November 25th, 2007, 05:33 PM
You should have added all of the above. My main reason was experimenting something different, then I compared, then I realized I was sick of waiting 5 full minutes for antivirus and msn to start up each time I turned on the computer. Then got a major virus that deleted my precious 16 GB data in music, videos, works, pictures, etc... Then, I found out that I could do the same work of encoding videos on the half of the time that it takes on windows, greater quality, and no blue screen error when I mistake configuring something. That I could protect my work by turning them into PDF files so that no one would try to steal it. :) And THEN I found out that for being a Med student, Linux is pretty useful, fast turn on, fast on everything. And on top of that, there's a bug that circulates from pendrive to pendrive in my university that steals all your data, it copies everything and send it to someone. I have my own authored material, that no one should lay it's eyes on it.... Dunno, there a hundred reasons why I will completely remove windows on April 2008:lolflag:

arashiko28
November 25th, 2007, 05:43 PM
such as a comparison of the number of windows Viruses VS Linux Viruses!

http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/security-info/default.aspx?lst=vu&sitepanda=particulares

here you have the latests windows vulnerabilities, in the page, somewhere there's a statistic about global warning of virus mostly of windows. Also I didn't found it bu I recommend you to google about the steps needed for a virus to do in linux before it can do anything, it's hilarious when I first saw it, it needs you to grant permissions to an unknown applications and give root rights (sure, like if you're stupid enough!)

jim_p
November 25th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Use this quote (I think it's from MIB)

"We are not part of the system, we are ABOVE the system!"

Btw I switched to linux to save the data from my virus infected hdd... and stayed there!

aysiu
November 25th, 2007, 06:11 PM
In the interests of intellectual and academic honesty, I hope you mention to your teacher that you asked for help and cite your sources specifically.

SomeGuyDude
November 25th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I was perfectly content with Windows when I switched, but enjoyed Ubuntu more. Simple preference of aesthetics.

Anzan
November 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Fast install, fast startup, applications open in seconds not minutes, fast logout/login, fast restart, stable, flexible, free and libre OS and applications without propietary lockin, not just a customer but a fellow user, gain the ability to use the computer in ways not imaginable before one begins to learn how.

I cannot think of a single reason to use anything other than Linux or some form of *Nix.

ExpatPaul
November 25th, 2007, 06:21 PM
and posibly mention that several governments have begun using linux (although I don't know exactly which ones or how many so any help would be appreciated!)!

The city of Munich migrated from Windows to Linux back in 2004 [link (http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2004/10/04/205693/munich-migrates-to-linux-despite-eu-debate.htm)] and, more recently, the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia is about to roll out Linux into the 33 universities in the region [link (http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39288932,00.htm)].

For myself, I installed Ubuntu out of curiosity and am intending to stick with it because I've been very impressed with both its speed and reliability.

nikoPSK
November 25th, 2007, 06:25 PM
The french government (I think in paris) switched over to linux. I read that in maximum pc:p)

n3tfury
November 25th, 2007, 06:27 PM
i voted "to do something different". oh wait, there was no vote for "other". lol at the thread title though - like you'll be on auto-defense as soon as you speak?

MrSpiffdifilous
November 25th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I'd say theres the potential for getting blamed for harming peoples computers if you hand out LiveCD's but at the same time if you warn someone not to install it if they dont want to risk losing everything and they do anyway, I say it's their own fault if something goes wrong. Just make sure to tell them exactly what to do, even type out a set of instructions to go with each cd. I would, if possible, actually do a short demonstration of a few features of a full install. Most people that I've shown Ubuntu to were altogether unimpressed until I showed them Compiz and Emerald. Although not the only great thing about Linux it is one area where Linux clearly and distinctively has an upper hand. Unfortunately there's no really way to show how much more stable linux can be. I do know the schools are beginning to put Linux in classrooms and computer labs.

brennydoogles
November 25th, 2007, 07:06 PM
In the interests of intellectual and academic honesty, I hope you mention to your teacher that you asked for help and cite your sources specifically.

Not only do I have to cite my sources in MLA format, I plan on showing this thread while talking about the community involvement found in Ubuntu. Credit will be given where deserved!

aysiu
November 25th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Not only do I have to cite my sources in MLA format, I plan on showing this thread while talking about the community involvement found in Ubuntu. Credit will be given where deserved!
That's good to know.

science4sail
November 25th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I switched after a virus wiped out both my hdd and my external backup hdd

sanderella
November 25th, 2007, 08:11 PM
There sould be an "All of These" option on the poll.

Also "Because it makes me feel superior to MS users." :KS

sanderella
November 25th, 2007, 08:16 PM
What does "Po'" mean?

GepettoBR
November 25th, 2007, 08:36 PM
There sould be an "All of These" option on the poll.

Also "Because it makes me feel superior to MS users." :KS

I'd vote for "All of the Above"

The main reason for me was Freedom, though - that and the fact that all my software in Windows was already Open anyways.

ice60
November 25th, 2007, 08:45 PM
i really like computers so that's the reason i first tried Linux, especially as it's free (money-wise)

you can say once it's set up linux takes care of its self - no defragging, virus scanning, CheckDisk etc, also, you don't have to do any system hardening on a fresh install - disabling un-needed services which can be exploited etc.

you can say whereas windows might assign 10 or so programmers to write something new for the OS, linux could have 100s of great programmers looking through and correcting the linux alternative of that program. so, in general linux programs are smaller in size, more stable and better written.

there are security problems in windows that have taken years to be patched, linux patches security holes much faster. MS, on the whole, are far less open about security holes.

linux updates the OS frequently which brings many advantages, for example, if something starts going in the wrong direction it easier to take it out of the OS, far fewer things will be relying on it.

google uses linux for it's searching as well as their internal computers :)

etc etc.

KIAaze
November 25th, 2007, 09:41 PM
What does "Po'" mean?
Po=Poor (i.e poverty)
So I wasn't the only one who didn't understand it. ^^

phen
November 25th, 2007, 09:43 PM
linux perfectly fits my need at the university: free scientific programs, the ability to write small scripts to automate some tasks, free choice wich program to use.

compiz: it looks better than windows, even vista.

open source and standards could improve interoperability so much: imagine an mobile phone that is talking to the car-audio, hifi and computer. most important: the car-audio you choose, the hifi you choose and the mobile and pc you choose. not everything apple or something like that. proprietary formats make all that complicated: does this phone work together with this pc? what about itunes and the ipod. WHY??? money for the company, exactly. this is not for the customers.

sub2007
November 25th, 2007, 10:10 PM
I'd say my main reason was because I liked it! I would simply rather use it than Windows. I like the way it looks much better, I like it's stability, I love the security (although I still maintain that it's easy to secure Windows it's certainly lovely not to have to worry about getting spyware). The community is brilliant, whilst I've never needed to ask questions if it wasn't for the Wiki and reading this forum then I wouldn't have got anywhere. But if I had had questions it's really nice to know that there is a fantastic supportive community who would be more than willing to help (although I've never had one that hasn't already been answered/a HOW TO guide written on it). Most importantly, I love the fact that it's open source and based on free software principles.

Windows is still there as a dual boot but it rarely gets used, I don't mind Windows at all and certainly am not an MS hater, but I just can't see any reason to boot into it any more. It just leaves me wishing that more people would use it and feel as happy to use their computer as I do (I feel like I have a computer that works exactly the way I want it).

Good luck with the presentation!

lyceum
November 25th, 2007, 10:37 PM
You need an "other" in your poll. I guess I switched for the "FREEDOM" reason, but really it is because FOSS works better as a business model than others. I don't want to rent programs, I want to own them. If I can't own them, I do not want to pay for them. It is ironic, I would rather pay for FOSS and I think if it is not FOSS, it should be free.

With FOSS if a program does not work the way you want you can make changes or join the community to help with ideas for changes. it is just a better way of doing things. You can call that freedom, I call it good business.

I also like that there are not surprises that I have to deal with on new releases. Everything works and updates come faster, in most cases. Ubuntu is every 6 months, not when ever they feel like it. That is more reliable, and that is good for businesses and home users.

The fact that is is free as in $$'s is not relevant, as you still buy support or books or even new hardware. There is always a cost.

If you want more on how business are changing to be like FOSS, take a look that the "Vista community". If you want to see how companies try to milk FOSS and fail, look at Xara.

Good luck.

Vadi
November 25th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Security.

Ubuntu needs no third-party programs to keep itself secure, whereas Windows does (see - firewalls, anti-viruses).

:)

KIAaze
November 25th, 2007, 11:35 PM
The fact that is is free as in $$'s is not relevant, as you still buy support or books or even new hardware. There is always a cost.

Also not (very) relevant because:
-Pirated copies of Windows are easily available (maybe less for Vista, but for XP and older, no problem)
-...and Microsoft has now officially dropped the prices in underdevelopped countries.
-99% of PCs come with Windows installed, so you already paid for it anyway
-Cheapest PCs are often those with Windows on them.

Bruce M.
November 26th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Sick of windows

That's it in a nutshell.
I spent too much time downloading virus definations, ant-malware definations and security leak fixes than I was spending time enjoying my system. Won't go into the cost of those or into the long stories of crashes, freezes, constant re-boots after 90% of the aforementioned downloads.

FREEDOM!!!! & Security

Having tasted freedom & security, those are two very big reasons I'll never go back to Windows,

Yup, now I can actually use and enjoy my computer worry free!
I'm using the Unpiratable Edition OS: Ubuntu Linux

Skorzen
November 26th, 2007, 12:05 AM
The main reason was freedom! But I have to confess that I was tired of using an right-abusing unsecure system on my personal computer.

brennydoogles
November 26th, 2007, 01:35 AM

There is not always a cost. My last computer was completely free, from the hardware which I scavenged for free to the operating system (full tech support provided by Ubuntuforums), to all of the software running on the system for free. I love that Ubuntu can be run on virtually everything, not just Microsoft certified Vista Ready top-of-the-line break-the-bank hardware. free as in $$'s is surely relevant for me.

lyceum
November 26th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Also not (very) relevant because:
-Pirated copies of Windows are easily available (maybe less for Vista, but for XP and older, no problem)
-...and Microsoft has now officially dropped the prices in underdevelopped countries.
-99% of PCs come with Windows installed, so you already paid for it anyway
-Cheapest PCs are often those with Windows on them.

My point is that some people DO spend money on FOSS, even if they do not realize it. And as for the pirated stuff, I think that is reason #1 why I use FOSS, it is 100% legal, I don't have to worry if I am violating anything by actually using the program. As a musician I use to worry if my songs were legal, even if I paid for the programs I used. MS got me so paranoid I didn't feel safe using my own PC. Now I know I am legal, I use FOSS.

You can't buy Windows, you can only pay for it. And if you do, you'll keep paying and paying. PC's are coming out now WITHOUT recovery disks. So, if they have a problem that wipes the hard drive, they have to pay for Windows AGAIN or pirate a copy. The last PC I bought with Windows on it, the recovery disk could only be used twice. That is bad for a guy that likes to reformat his hard drive every 6 months. I have to say, Apple may not be FOSS, but at least their prices are fair and you get a disk, a REAL OS X disk, when you buy your PC. If everyone is using Windows, they could cut the price in the US and give it away free to developing countries. Dropped prices are still prices. If they can't afford $10 you may as well leave it at $250. I read somewhere that Ubuntu has some 3 million users. I also read that Linux as a whole only has 1% of the market. Lets say that Windows has 50%. If Ubuntu sold for $1, and all 3 million had legal copies, that would be... $3 million dollars. If everyone only paid $1, i think there would be no pirates, so that would be $150 million for MS. I know MS holds a larger than 50% of the market, and that not all copies are legal. My point is that even if it did cost 1 billion for Vista, they made several times more than that from XP. The price is too high and you do not even own the software. It is sad that people fall for their tricks.

mmb1
November 26th, 2007, 01:45 AM
I would definitely go heavy on the philosophical aspects, and you may want to throw in a bit about trusted computing you can learn more here:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html

It's a killer article with several more links at the bottom.

Good luck with your presentation!

louieb
November 26th, 2007, 01:58 AM
What does "Po'" mean?
Not sure, but thats what we in the southern U.S.say when we don't have much money honey.

I started using Linux out of curiosity. Stuck with it because of flexibility it offers.

brennydoogles
November 26th, 2007, 05:04 AM
My point is that some people DO spend money on FOSS, even if they do not realize it. And as for the pirated stuff, I think that is reason #1 why I use FOSS, it is 100% legal, I don't have to worry if I am violating anything by actually using the program. As a musician I use to worry if my songs were legal, even if I paid for the programs I used. MS got me so paranoid I didn't feel safe using my own PC. Now I know I am legal, I use FOSS.

You can't buy Windows, you can only pay for it. And if you do, you'll keep paying and paying. PC's are coming out now WITHOUT recovery disks. So, if they have a problem that wipes the hard drive, they have to pay for Windows AGAIN or pirate a copy. The last PC I bought with Windows on it, the recovery disk could only be used twice. That is bad for a guy that likes to reformat his hard drive every 6 months. I have to say, Apple may not be FOSS, but at least their prices are fair and you get a disk, a REAL OS X disk, when you buy your PC. If everyone is using Windows, they could cut the price in the US and give it away free to developing countries. Dropped prices are still prices. If they can't afford $10 you may as well leave it at $250. I read somewhere that Ubuntu has some 3 million users. I also read that Linux as a whole only has 1% of the market. Lets say that Windows has 50%. If Ubuntu sold for $1, and all 3 million had legal copies, that would be... $3 million dollars. If everyone only paid $1, i think there would be no pirates, so that would be $150 million for MS. I know MS holds a larger than 50% of the market, and that not all copies are legal. My point is that even if it did cost 1 billion for Vista, they made several times more than that from XP. The price is too high and you do not even own the software. It is sad that people fall for their tricks.

I think it's crap that Microsoft is only allowing limited reformats on computers pre-installed with Windows. Just ticks me off...

To MMB1-- Thanks for the article, I will most likely be able to use it.

KIAaze
November 26th, 2007, 05:46 PM
That's only one article. There's a whole book you can use a reference. :)
Free Software, Free Society (http://www.gnu.org/doc/book13.html)
You can also use the little printer story from Stallman for example:

The MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab (AI Lab) received a graphics printer as a gift from Xerox around 1977. It was run by free software to which we added many convenient features. For example, the software would notify a user immediately on completion of a print job. Whenever the printer had trouble, such as a paper jam or running out of paper, the software would immediately notify all users who had print jobs queued. These features facilitated smooth operation.

Later Xerox gave the AI Lab a newer, faster printer, one of the first laser printers. It was driven by proprietary software that ran in a separate dedicated computer, so we couldn't add any of our favorite features. We could arrange to send a notification when a print job was sent to the dedicated computer, but not when the job was actually printed (and the delay was usually considerable). There was no way to find out when the job was actually printed; you could only guess. And no one was informed when there was a paper jam, so the printer often went for an hour without being fixed.
It's in this chapter (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/shouldbefree.html).

mivo
November 26th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I think it's crap that Microsoft is only allowing limited reformats on computers pre-installed with Windows. Just ticks me off...

Using Linux really makes you realise with how many limitations and, bluntly put, "crap" we've been keeping up with. Most of always knew that, of course, but how drastic it actually was became truly obvious only when my perspective changed and I could look at it from the "outside" rather than the "inside".

ByteJuggler
November 29th, 2007, 02:57 AM
My assignment is to give a persuasive speech on why they should switch to Linux. I have chosen to talk more specifically about Ubuntu because I feel it will be most likely to fit the needs of more of the class than any other distro. Since the class knows about OSS and Linux, I want to focus on why Linux will better suit their needs and wants than windows (along with the obvious disclaimer that Linux is not ready for everyone, and that you should use whatever OS will let you do what you need). Because of the nature of the assignment, what I need is data which can be used to backup my claims... such as a comparison of the number of windows Viruses VS Linux Viruses, or some other data which suggests that Linux is at least as usable as windows. Thank you all so much for your help!!

Ok, with the disclaimer/caveat about different users having different needs etc, I would perhaps argue along the following lines:

If you use/want...
1.) System tools
Linux has *loads*, Windows has 3rd party tools you pay for. For example, tools like "dd" and "ddrescue" has no equivalents in Windows. These are worth their weight in gold during data recovery. There are many other examples.
2.) Graphics apps
Linux has many open source alternatives, inluding Gimp, Krita, Karbon14 and so on. With Windows you have 3d party tools which range from cheap to exceedingly expensive.
3.) Software development
Linux has very many programming languages and IDE's at its disposal, from very popular Integrated environments like Eclipse, Kdevelop, MonoDevelop and Lazarus to virtually every language you can think of (including versions of some Microsoft languages like C#) including Java, C, C++, Smalltalk, Lisp, Haskell, Python, Perl, PHP, Ruby, Eiffel, the list goes on and on. On Windows you have whatever has been ported from OSS or has been produced by proprietary companies.
4.) Sound editors
Linux has some very capable music production packages, including for example RoseGarden, Wired and Ardour. On Windows you have several as well, Cubase and others.
5.) Media players
Linux has a plethora of media players, including Amarok, Rhythmbox, VLC, and a host of others. On Windows you alse have a fair few, but arguably not quite as cool.
6.) Media encoders
There's quite a slew of media encoding tools on Linux, so you won't be left wanting in this respect. On Windows there are also many, but they tend not to be free. ("Super" is a notable exception.)
7.) CD/DVD burners
On linux, pretty much built in to Gnome. If you need more features, there's always more feature packed versions (K3B?) On Windows, you have basic burning included but generally need to buy a third party package to get decent functionality.

Etc. etc. So you demonstrate that if joe x. user's needs fall into categories above, then their needs can by implication be met by Linux.

Good luck.

de_valentin
December 7th, 2007, 06:59 AM
All of the above but mainly I got sick and tired of xp calling home and the building up of junk you can't really remove, and is slowing everything down more and more.

But It wasn't all negative. I mean I have to give linux some credit too here, I ditched windows because linux Ubuntu specifically looked great did all the things I needed and just worked except for one or 2 small things.

roachk71
December 7th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Definitely freedom, in addition to stability and security.

By definition, most EULAs are designed to take freedom and control of the software away from the users and computer owners. The GNU General Public License (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#GPL), on the other hand, is designed to protect software freedoms, and to give all others who use the authors' sources and binaries the same rights as the authors to modify and redistribute.

The GPL (at least in my humble opinion) is essential for the collaborative work which has made this incredible OS possible. :cool:

misfitpierce
December 7th, 2007, 09:22 AM
FREEEDOMMMMM!

And sick of windows... but mainly I love opensource and freedom.

DirtDawg
December 7th, 2007, 09:52 AM
In the interest of accuracy, I originally switched to Linux because I was po' (which is how I voted), but now, the freedom's got me hooked. It would take a lot to get me to go back to something else.

blueturtl
December 7th, 2007, 10:30 AM
For the security issue I will refer you to one of my favorite articles of all time: The Six Dumbest Ideas in Computer Security (http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_security/editorials/dumb/)

After reading it you will better understand (and hopefully be able to communicate to others) why the Linux approach to security is better than Windows. To sum up, Linux is mostly based on a policy of default-deny whereas Windows is mostly based on the policy of default-permit. Read the article, it is enlightening.

rzrgenesys187
December 7th, 2007, 10:34 AM
My reason wasn't there either. I was just interested in a free operating system and after I installed it spent about 3 solid days trying to get sound to work. After that i found i could do more with linux and much easier than windows (aside from having working sound :))

sloggerkhan
December 7th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Let's see.... mess with Ubuntu and break everything. Reinstall in 20 minutes and everything works fine.

Mess with Windows, break everything, and 2 days later I'm still installing stuff.

It's all the little things that really make ubuntu great.

Being able to find and install over 20000 pieces of software in a few clicks.
Being to try the latest development versions of cool software with a few commands.
Being able to completely change my theme easily.
Knowing that the problems I have, I usually have caused myself.
Not needing to install drivers for every single thing.
Being able to do anything I want with my computer in a few clicks for free.
Not having stuff sold to me at every turn. (Like AV trials and crapware)
Not worrying about viruses and hacking half as much.
Having a community that will help if there are problems.
Software that works with tons of formats.

There are loads and loads of reasons which just add up and add up.

brennydoogles
December 8th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Well, I gave my presentation the other day, and everything went well. Thank you all so much for all of your help!

nikoPSK
December 8th, 2007, 05:37 PM
welcome, anything to help!

n3tfury
December 8th, 2007, 05:53 PM
how anticlimatic

corney91
December 8th, 2007, 06:56 PM
how anticlimatic

What were you expecting?:p

aysiu
December 8th, 2007, 06:58 PM
What were you expecting?:p
A detailed report.

toupeiro
December 8th, 2007, 07:06 PM
A detailed report.

or at least SOMETHING more than "it went well"

wow dude.. just wow.

Congrats though on it going well.

n3tfury
December 8th, 2007, 07:26 PM
A detailed report.

doesn't have to be detailed but after all the discussion - "it went well" is a bit weak.

brennydoogles
December 9th, 2007, 06:04 PM
doesn't have to be detailed but after all the discussion - "it went well" is a bit weak.

lol. I will post more soon, but this project (along with about 3 others) marked the transition into Finals week. After I get through the first few I will have enough time to update. Sorry about that. Thanks for being patient!!

n3tfury
December 9th, 2007, 06:43 PM
that works.

Bruce M.
December 10th, 2007, 02:53 PM
that works.

+1