PDA

View Full Version : Planning to buy a Rio mp3 player? -The day Rio's music died -CNET

byen
September 4th, 2005, 02:08 AM
Here is the latest on RIO

The Japanese company that makes the Rio line of MP3 players is shuttering its portable digital-audio division. Rio parent D&M Holdings said on Friday that the ultra-competitive business no longer fit its market strategy. Although it has only a small market share compared to Apple Computer's iPod, the Rio brand name has been linked with the early days of digital-music history since weathering a lawsuit from the recording industry that aimed to shut down the MP3 hardware business. D&M Holdings--which also owns high-end home audio brands including Denon and Marantz, and is close to acquiring Boston Acoustics--said the portable MP3 player business required too much investment, and didn't offer enough return, to warrant continuing. The company said it will stop producing the Rio line of products at the end of September. Despite its history of innovative designs, the Rio brand has had a choppy corporate history. Originally produced by Diamond Multimedia, the first Rio-branded MP3 player triggered a lawsuit in 1998 from the Recording Industry Association of America, which at the time viewed MP3 as primarily a format for music pirates. After an initial injunction blocking sales of the product, courts ultimately ruled against the record industry, clearing the way for a digital-audio market that evolved into today's iPod-dominated music culture. Diamond Multimedia was purchased not long afterward by Taiwanese graphics chip company S3, which eventually sold its chip business and morphed into Sonicblue, acquiring other consumer technologies, including ReplayTV, along the way. Previous Next The company's fortunes fell in the middle of the dot-com crash, and Sonicblue declared bankruptcy in early 2003, selling off the Rio assets to D&M Holdings. The last several years have seen several well-reviewed designs from the company, including the hard-drive-based Rio Karma and Rio Carbon players, which respectively competed with the iPod and iPod mini. Neither device, however, was able to gain more than a small fraction of the iPod's market share. Some customers complained about persistent hard-drive problems with the Karma. D&M said it would retain rights to the Rio brand and trademark, and would continue to support retailers and customer service claims.

Source:http://news.com.com/The+day+Rios+music+died/2100-1047_3-5843561.html?tag=cd.hed

I was under the impression that they were good!! Infact i was close to considering one of those...feel sad when i see companies that try to make stuff cheaper fade away like this. Guess good products (Ipod) still rule no matter at what price eh? well...seems like rio did have its share of issues and drawbacks...tough market!

MetalMusicAddict
September 4th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Too bad. They did have some nice products. I was looking at a Karma but I bought a iRiver H340 instead.

xequence
September 4th, 2005, 02:51 AM
I had a rio nitrus, my first MP3 player I bought. Back in october of 2004. It was good and all but the advertised battery life was 16 hours and it only lasted 9 so I took it back. I demand good battery life! I got a sony nw-e99, not compatable with linux :( Stupid sony. Decent mp3 player though. Good battery life. 50-70 hours on a good battery.

byen
September 4th, 2005, 02:53 AM
I demand good battery life! I got a sony nw-e99, not compatable with linux Stupid sony. Decent mp3 player though. Good battery life. 50-70 hours on a good battery.

seems to me tht iRiver is the way to go these days....well...Ipod too...no denying that!

xequence
September 4th, 2005, 03:05 AM
seems to me tht iRiver is the way to go these days....well...Ipod too...no denying that!

iHave heard good things about iRiver. Compatable with linux iThink. iDont like the iPod, too much hype.

Galoot
September 4th, 2005, 03:22 AM
Time to snatch up a Rio. What the hell, it'll go nicely with my P2-500.

Brunellus
September 4th, 2005, 04:41 AM
Too bad. They did have some nice products. I was looking at a Karma but I bought a iRiver H340 instead.
I was turned off the Karma because

1) it didn't mount as USB mass storage

2) persistent reports of having to bitch-slap it to work. (apparently, bad hard drives).

Brunellus
September 4th, 2005, 04:42 AM
iHave heard good things about iRiver. Compatable with linux iThink. iDont like the iPod, too much hype.
I'm a big H340 booster around here. I haven't measured battery life objectively, but I can keep my playing for a whole workday and still have juice left over. aweseome.

bionnaki
September 4th, 2005, 06:57 AM
yup, I have a h340 - purchased it back in January - I love it. Highly recommended (if you can still find them).

do you guys visit http://www.misticriver.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=83 ?

jeremy
September 5th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Does anyone know of mp3 players, apart from the Rio Karma, that can play flac?

Brunellus
September 5th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Neuros, I think. But goog luck finding one.

I keep holding out hope for a firmware upgrade with the iRiver H340 that would permit flac...

ahgao
September 5th, 2005, 04:48 PM

I remember the Cowon/iAudio X5 also plays flac too.

jeremy
September 6th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.
I couldn't find a Neuros that does Flac, the iAudio X5 looks great, but is unfornutely a bit over my budget at this time.

srf21c
November 17th, 2006, 04:14 AM
I'm pretty sure you can play flac on any device that is supported by rockbox. (http://www.rockbox.org/) This includes ipods.

Skia_42
November 17th, 2006, 05:00 AM
iriver is still alive, I hope that the ipod and Microsofts Zune doesn't force the competition out.