PDA

View Full Version : Welcome - Please Read

xarquid
November 24th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu South Carolina! This is the forum for all things Ubuntu in South Carolina.

If you're new here, make a post and introduce yourself! Most of us are probably South Carolinians...

If you're not already a part of the team, please join up at:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-southcarolina

If you're not on our mailing list (and would like to be) please subscribe at:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-us-sc

And...of course, we're on IRC (Freenode network):
irc.freenode.net
Channel: #ubuntu-us-sc

We look forward to getting to know you, hearing your ideas on Ubuntu, helping each other out where we can and...of course, spreading the Ubuntu love in South Carolina.

XQ / XarQuid

Zero Prime
November 25th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Hi everyone, Zero Prime here. I just joined the Ubuntu SC Team. Spreading Ubuntu is something I've been doing for about a year now. I've gotten a lot of people interested in it and have installed it on a few computers for friends, who now praise Ubuntu as well. I'm now working on a small business to build pre-configured Ubuntu PCs.

Tristam Green
November 25th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Hey there, Tristam Green here representing the Charleston area. I think this is a great idea, and hopefully I can get more of my friends to join the LoCo Team.

Flare183
November 27th, 2007, 08:35 PM
What's up All. Microsoft Sucks. Ubuntu Rocks hard! I live in Seneca, SC. Love it here. Except for the winters. :guitar:

I have 2 blogs: http://flare-flare.blogspot.com,http://flare183.wordpress.com.

Most of the time you can find me after 3:30, on the IRC as Flare183.

Gtaylor
December 3rd, 2007, 04:34 AM
Just entered a join request for the team. I'm a Clemson student (Go Tigers!) and Ubuntu/Debian enthusiast.

baxterdog
December 3rd, 2007, 04:38 AM
Flare183, as a non-SC resident, I am curious as to what is bad about the winter?

Gtaylor
December 3rd, 2007, 04:40 AM
Flare183, as a non-SC resident, I am curious as to what is bad about the winter?
I don't mind it at all. Not nearly bad as Virginia and some parts of NC. It might be a little uncomfortable if you were born in southern Georgia or parts of Florida, but it's pretty mild for the most part.

recluse2
December 5th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Hello, I live i Pickens and am learning Linux/Ubuntu and other Distro's. I look forward to participating in these forums and hopefully one day I will be able to help newbies. I am currently running 3 PC's. 2 with XP and one old Pentium 2 with Ubuntu 7.10 I plan on migrating everything to Ubuntu. I am so tired of MS

Flare183
December 5th, 2007, 11:49 PM
If you would like to chat with Us join us in #ubuntu-us-sc on irc.ubuntu.com!

Flare183
December 5th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Dude right now it is, 56 F

baxterdog
December 6th, 2007, 07:01 PM
But how are you supposed to ski/snowboard if it doesn't get down below freezing? :D

xarquid
December 7th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Go to North Carolina mountains! ;) Beach Mountain, Sugar Mountain, Wolf Laurel...!

cyclefiend2000
December 14th, 2007, 09:55 PM
hey y'all. i am new to ubuntu. i installed it right about the same time i joined these forums. i have dabbled with a few other distros, and so far i am impressed with the ease of ubuntu. so far i have talked a couple of other people into giving ubuntu a try, and they all seem to like it too.

anyways, hey from taylors, sc.

jayson.rowe
December 20th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Hi All, Jayson Rowe here, from the Florence, SC area, I've been using Linux since 1999, started dual-booting, been running Linux full time on my home systems for about 4 years now.

I work by day as a Network Administrator for a software company and we are mostly a Windows based company but are slowly starting (at my frequent urging) moving into some Linux based solutions, especially for hosting Virtual Servers and Desktops.

We are also in the process of possibly developing (for the first time) a client of our software for Linux (which will work via application streaming using a small client app) and I will be suggesting Ubuntu as our distro of choice to support (they are mostly looking to me for advice). I still haven't heard confirmation on this, but I'm hearing more and more chatter about it, and I'm getting asked more and more questions - a developer today asked me to make him an Ubuntu virtual tomorrow.

I'm willing to give back to the team any way I can - although I have the artistic ability of a gnat, I can contribute in other ways, infrastructure, server admin, etc...anything you need just let me know. I'm near my computer most evenings.

mysticrider92
December 30th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I have been subscribing to the mailing list for a while, so I thought I would just say hi. I live in Aiken, SC, and have been using Ubuntu for around a year. I am trying to learn some programming (mostly Java), and have a good bit of hardware experience, and would like to help out wherever possible.

xarquid
December 30th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Well, welcome Mystic! Jump right in wherever you feel that you might be able to help out. We appreciate any help that can be offered.

Thank you for all of your introductions so far! We look forward to furthering each of our contributions to the overall LoCo Team Projects and Ubuntu! :)

XQ

Tristam Green
December 31st, 2007, 03:54 PM
I just realized I didn't list any of my skillset.

- Used Ubuntu since 5.04

- Linux user since Oct 03 (previous/add'l exp. includes Fedora Core 5/6, SuSE, Red Hat)

- Photoshop experience, am learning the subtleties of GIMP.

- Systems Administrator as a day job on Windows servers/clients.
- Networking background

Flare183
January 1st, 2008, 09:14 PM
Well, welcome Mystic! Jump right in wherever you feel that you might be able to help out. We appreciate any help that can be offered.

Thank you for all of your introductions so far! We look forward to furthering each of our contributions to the overall LoCo Team Projects and Ubuntu! :)

XQ

Cool. We need all the help we can get. Just like xq said, we welcome all contributions. For example,

Blog Posts
Comments and Suggestions about the website
Etc.

Scheater5
January 21st, 2008, 06:00 PM
Been active on the irc for a LONG time (possibly the first South Carolinian), but I thought I'd introduce myself on the forums.
Going to Coastal Carolina University, so representing Myrtle Beach.

mrtsunami
February 15th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Been active on the IRC since...a long time ago, but, like Scheater, felt like introducing myself on the forums.

I'm mrtsunami, and I'm a high school student in Columbia, SC who has been using Ubuntu for about a year now.

I would include an obligatory description of my occupation, but alas, I do not have one. :P

xarquid
February 15th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I would include an obligatory description of my occupation, but alas, I do not have one. :P
Yep, you've been active in IRC a while now.

One thing I will say about this above here comment...

I'm not much older than you (I promise)...

HOWEVER, I will promise you this: The quote that you may have heard your parents say: "Enjoy it while you can!" Is COMPLETELY and UTTERLY true. And NEVER should be taken for granted.

I am in my early twenties (I still get carded to buy alcohol...hell, I can BARELY legally BUY alcohol!). Trust me, the years fly by. Enjoy high school and college while they are still with you. Life is but a fleeting shadow...

Such stuff as dreams are made on... ;-)

Sincerely,

Craig Huffstetler / xarquid / xq
Ubuntu U.S., Team South Carolina
Among other things...

Mad_Gouki
February 24th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Hi all, I am Alex, from Greer, SC(between Greenville and Spartanburg).
I attend Greenville Technical College and I'm hoping to transfer to USC upstate for Computer Science. Good to see an SC group for Ubuntu. I have a lot of experience with windows systems, which comes in handy when it comes to helping everyone else in my family with computer issues, a common occurance. I've been using ubuntu for a few years now off and on, and after getting a helping hand from a friend in Alabama, I learned about repositories and how to find answers to pretty much any question, and I haven't looked back since.

Anyways, I will be around and I'm more than happy to help out, nice to meet y'all!

recluse2
April 1st, 2008, 06:00 AM
Hi all, I am Alex, from Greer

Mad_Gouki Welcome! Sorry we didn't welcome you sooner, please forgive us for the oversight. We are working to get official status, in may and there is much to be done. If you have the time, you are welcome to contribute in any way even with just voicing your opinion on any subject which is always encouraged.

Please see the posts concerning upcoming meetings, and join us on IRC and the forums. Glad to meet you!

SHiNiNG_SaBeR
May 4th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Hey, I am Shawn from Sumter. I am currently attending Sumter High School, and I've been using Ubuntu for about 3 months. I have 2 computers, one dual booting Ubuntu and XP, and my laptop (which is currently into the repair shop as they need to tighten a pin on the power supply), which is running XP, but I might put Ubuntu on that too.
-I know how to code C++
-I have about 3 months experience with Ubuntu
-Gimp experience
-I know how to build computers, and next year I am taking a class in A+ Certification for it.
So, yeah, nice to meet everybody!

recluse2
May 4th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Hey, I am Shawn from Sumter. I am currently attending Sumter High School, and I've been using Ubuntu for about 3 months. I have 2 computers, one dual booting Ubuntu and XP, and my laptop (which is currently into the repair shop as they need to tighten a pin on the power supply), which is running XP, but I might put Ubuntu on that too.
-I know how to code C++
-Gimp experience
-I know how to build computers, and next year I am taking a class in A+ Certification for it.

Hi Shawn, Nice to meet you and welcome to the forum! Please feel free to browse through the forum to see what all we are involved in. Things are a little slow right now with spring arriving, but we are hoping to get official LoCo status soon so we are busy working on a few things here and there. Get a feel of what is going on by reading the posts in the forum, and jump in with your opinions and ideas. There are a couple of projects we are working on that could use a man of your talents, if you have the time. Again, Welcome to the group!

Zero Prime
June 12th, 2008, 11:08 PM
-I know how to code C++
-Gimp experience
Sweet, another Sumter user.

bnsmith001
June 27th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Hello, Group.

The web page just refreshed while I was writing a post, and I lost ten minutes of writing.

I'll remember to work up my next post in "Text Editor" before starting a "Quick Reply".

My name is Barry Smith.

I just found this forum.

I have been programming and using computers since 1982.
I started in PC DOS, and TSO MVS, so I'm a big fan of the "mix" that Linux has created... the advantages through GNOME, K, and X, along with the mutiple abilities of the shells.

I've been using different versions of Linux for over four years, infrequently.

I am making the switch from XP Media to Ubuntu 7.10 amd64.
(Hardy doesn't work on my laptop).

I am hoping that Ubuntu will update their Gutsy repositories soon for OOo 2.4.1 and
gpg 1.4.9 ... I could build a DEB package for either, but I don't know how to upload a deb candidate, and I don't know who to contact to find out how.

I'm not a big "chatter", as I prefer being able to explain myself in detail.
I probably won't show up in the IRC meetings, but I'll ask questions on the forum, and I'm available through email.

See you around,

Barry Smith

recluse2
June 28th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Hello, Group.

The web page just refreshed while I was writing a post, and I lost ten minutes of writing.

I'll remember to work up my next post in "Text Editor" before starting a "Quick Reply".

My name is Barry Smith.

I just found this forum.

I have been programming and using computers since 1982.
I started in PC DOS, and TSO MVS, so I'm a big fan of the "mix" that Linux has created... the advantages through GNOME, K, and X, along with the mutiple abilities of the shells.

I've been using different versions of Linux for over four years, infrequently.

I am making the switch from XP Media to Ubuntu 7.10 amd64.
(Hardy doesn't work on my laptop).

I am hoping that Ubuntu will update their Gutsy repositories soon for OOo 2.4.1 and
gpg 1.4.9 ... I could build a DEB package for either, but I don't know how to upload a deb candidate, and I don't know who to contact to find out how.

I'm not a big "chatter", as I prefer being able to explain myself in detail.
I probably won't show up in the IRC meetings, but I'll ask questions on the forum, and I'm available through email.

See you around,

Barry Smith

Welcome to the Group Barry! I understand not being a big chatter. I am probably one of the most prolific lurkers on the internet, I seldom respond to anything, except in this group.

Actually, the forums are a wonderful place for you to start, we need, and welcome your opinions and ideas. Right now, things are a little slow. We are working on alot of different things right now, and the fair weather has turned some attentions elsewhere understandably.

All we ask is that you participate in some form. The forums are a great place for you, and check out our new (ever changing) wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SouthCarolinaTeam) It has everything you need to know at this point, and gives you a great place to jump in!

again, Welcome to the group!

K2712
July 31st, 2008, 07:39 PM
Greetings all, I just found my way back to Ubuntu after a long, enjoyable stint with Archlinux. My first Ubuntu distribution was Hoary Hedgehog, and I've been a linux user since. What brought me back to Ubuntu was the simplicity and ease of installation/configuration, as I have found I don't have as much time to manually edit config files, compile from source, etc, as I used to.

Also, the way that Ubuntu seems to have caught fire in popularity, as evidenced by major PC makers offering Ubuntu as an alternative to Windows, has me feeling the itch to be part of the revolution.

I was excited to see we have a SC users group, and I hope to be able to contribute as much as possible. I just signed up to the mailing list and launchpad group, and will try to get on IRC in the near future.

Oh, and a little about me: I'm a married veteran of the Navy, and I am currently studying Computer Engineering at Clemson. I would love to be a developer for Ubuntu one day, but as they say, you've got to crawl before you can walk.

I'm looking forward to meeting everybody, and helping to share the Ubuntu love.

https://launchpad.net/~kern-jeff

bushda
August 1st, 2008, 02:15 AM
Hey folks,
I've done a few posts and announced myself in the IRC channel already, but figured I'd chime in here too.

I'm from the Myrtle Beach area (Conway to be specific), and I work in Myrtle Beach as a Unix Administrator for a network security company based out of Atlanta.

I've got a Masters in Network Security from Capitol College in Laurel, MD, as well as a mixture of certifications.

My path to Ubuntu started in '99 when I started using Red Hat 5.2. I stayed with Red Hat through version 8 or 9 when I jumped to Mandrake. From there I went to Debian, and finally to Ubuntu some time around Dapper.

Glad to be here!
- Dave

recluse2
September 29th, 2008, 05:09 PM
We are glad to have you here too Bushda, Jump in and throw out some ideas here, and on IRC, Make sure you speak up at our Meetings on Thursdays, and the official meetings at the end of the month

runemaste644
February 23rd, 2009, 03:06 AM
I prefer to keep my name private, but I am from Clemson, SC. My skills are:

High amount of experience with hosting game servers. I have hosted a The Mana World (http://themanaworld.com) server and an OpenSim (http://opensimulator.org) server for Second Life (http://secondlife.com).
Some experience with Gimp
Lots of experience with bash
Expert at installing things

I hope I can be of use to the South Carolina Local Community Team

howdidthathappen?
February 24th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Nice to be among friends, some people react very weird to Linux, almost like it is some kind of plague.

I'm like the rest of you here pushing Ubuntu to family and friends!

My side hobby is to restore older computers and give them to those who need them for school or work.

I've ran into just about every problem known to man setting up a 100 or so computers/laptops over the last couple of years!

I could not image being able ot do what I'm doing now with all the rules Microsoft imposes on everyone!

Hope to get together with you guys in the near future!

Roofdaddy
February 25th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Wow! A little place in cyberspace for us.:guitar:

Hello at ya from Spartanburg everyone.

Flare183
February 26th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Its nice to see some new people joining. Welcome all new members!

xarquid
February 26th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Yep! Welcome everyone.

Please take a look at our site @ http://www.ubuntusc.com/ and read over the member charter on the Wiki. Add your name to the roster if you've joined up in Launchpad.

It is very important be familiar with the charter. Feel free to join us on IRC (whether it's irssi on the command line, XChat, etc.).

Continue to post in the forums. We really appreciate your feedback and continued activity. We lovvveee involvement :)

Thanks for saying hello.

Cheers,

Craig / "xq"

DivineTemplar
April 6th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Hello all, I have made a few posts on the Ubuntu forums but up until now I have kept mostly to myself. I am currently residing in Powdersville, SC, although I am originally from Chicago, IL.

My skills are a bit more hardware oriented, and I have only been using Ubuntu regularly for a few months. Before then I experimented with Debian, which is of course similar, but I never made the full transition until recently. I am skilled in running large scale alliances in games as well, that can consist of anywhere between 80-1000 people, as well as running forums in IVF and IPB. (Used to be skilled with phpBB and SMF, but I am not very familiar with them anymore).

Anywho, I do use IRC regularly though on a different network. I am currently in the SC Channel, but it is dead as a doornail.

So to sum things up, Hi!

xarquid
April 7th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Hey DivineTemplar,

Welcome to Ubuntu SC! I see I just missed you and Flare on IRC. Ping me during the day or night on IRC feel free to /msg me anytime.

Again, welcome to the team. I look forward to getting to know you. I grew up in Powdersville (on Riverside Drive ;).

Cheers,

Craig
IRC: xq on irc.freenode.org
Jabber: xq@jabber.org
GTalk/Email: craig.huffstetler [AT] gmail [DOT] com
https://launchpad.net/~xq

DivineTemplar
April 7th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Thanks xarquid. Seems I am the only one on IRC at the moment. ](*,)

ShayWalters
May 4th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Just ran across this and figured I'd join in too. I saw a couple/few other midlands members (Sumter/Florence). I'm in Columbia. Been playing with Linux since Fedora 3. Been using it regularly since Fedora 5. Been using Ubuntu since around 6.xx. I play with a lot of distros, but use Ubuntu the majority of the time. My day job is almost entirely MS-win.

Trying
May 8th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Hello People. I am new to all of these. I usually don't post, but will try to more. I work in a M$ World, but love Linux. I am still a novice, but use it on my home desktop and have a dual boot laptop. I used Slackware and FreeBSD before, but have used Ubuntu off and on for the past 2 years. So hopefully, I will be able to learn more and start helping some of the small businesses I work with move to a less locked in environment!

Cheers,

Trying

kingletas
September 7th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Hello everyone,

I am Luis and I recently joined the group. I saw that the group needs some help and I happen to be a php developer so maybe I can help :). I have been an Ubuntu User for almost 4 years now but I was not very friendly with forums before.

Flare183
September 9th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Hello everyone,

I am Luis and I recently joined the group. I saw that the group needs some help and I happen to be a php developer so maybe I can help :). I have been an Ubuntu User for almost 4 years now but I was not very friendly with forums before.

Well, I would like to welcome you to the Ubuntu of South Carolina LoCo Team! :) We are glad to have you as a team member.

Hopefully, you have read the wiki page on how to join the team, if you haven't then click here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SouthCarolinaTeam/MembersList). Once you have done that, then you are ready to go! I hope to see you this coming Thursday.

uclugLee
September 15th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Greetings all. My name is Lee and I'm in Greenville. Just wanted to drop in and say hello.

ShayWalters
October 3rd, 2010, 04:04 AM
Hah... I joined the mailing list quite a while back, but hadn't run across the link to officially join the group, so all this time I thought I was a member, I wasn't! :) Anyway, I have rectified that situation. I've been using Ubuntu since .. I guess 6.04 or 6.10. I live in Columbia and am involved with the Columbia LUG ("ColaLUG"). Just a note to say hello and I hope I will be seeing more of Ubuntu-SC.

-Shay

bmcgarrahan
December 2nd, 2010, 11:11 PM
Hello, all...
I am Brian from Myrtle Beach. I have been around Linux for awhile but only full time in the last few years or so. I just setup my first Debian server at home and love it. I have been playing with Ubuntu since 8.04 and did my first full install with 9.04 after becoming fed up with MS...

Supergoo
July 19th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Hi all my names Bill and I live in Florence SC and I have been using Ubuntu and Linux on and off since Ubuntu 6.06. I have tried alot of distros and I always come back to Ubuntu Based. After trying the different flavors, I use Ubuntu Studio (Full Time) ,which I am pretty happy with. Look forward to meeting and chatting with you guys.

Supergoo

grmreaper
September 14th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Hello! I'm Greg Hall and just recently moved here to Greenville, SC. I've also recently retired from the Air Force. I'm new to Ubuntu so I'm looking to learn.