PDA

View Full Version : whats your start-up time?

nikoPSK
November 24th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Hey everyone, I've created this thread with the hope it already hasn't been. I've searched and found no other threads like this so here we go....

I wanted to know your default start-up time. By start-up time I mean how long is it until your computer is ready to use, from the minute you press the power button (not counting the time it takes you to realize that the login screen is already there and type in your username and pass). I have added them all to this poll. If you have more or less(!) time click other and specify.

Mines about a minute and I only use ubuntu.:KS

popch
November 24th, 2007, 06:31 PM
It might be useful to state more clearly what is meant by startup time, i.e. what events are to define the start and the end of startup time.

In my personal tests I normally use two measures:
1. From GRUB to sign in
2. From sign in to Desktop ready

To be honest, Desktop ready is not always simple to detect.

Kingsley
November 24th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Less than a minute on Vista and Ubuntu 7.10 on my laptop. I'm assuming you mean from GRUB to login screen.

nikoPSK
November 24th, 2007, 06:38 PM
It might be useful to state more clearly what is meant by startup time, i.e. what events are to define the start and the end of startup time.

In my personal tests I normally use two measures:
1. From GRUB to sign in
2. From sign in to Desktop ready

To be honest, Desktop ready is not always simple to detect.

Okay, I will edit and specify.:)

nikoPSK
November 24th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Less than a minute on Vista and Ubuntu 7.10 on my laptop. I'm assuming you mean from GRUB to login screen.

nope from the minute you press the power button. :popcorn: Mines about a minute and 10 secondsish.

-grubby
November 24th, 2007, 06:41 PM
well from this computer its 1:00-1:30 min and my other is 1:30-2:00

nikoPSK
November 24th, 2007, 06:42 PM
not really counting the time it takes you to realize the login screen is on and type in your name and pass;)

popch
November 24th, 2007, 06:50 PM
not really counting the time it takes you to realize the login screen is on and type in your name and pass;)

Not quite with you here. How "not really counting"?

Entering my password can make quite a difference here. ATM I am using my shiny tablet pc without a keyboard.

arsenic23
November 24th, 2007, 06:56 PM
No options under a minute? I know that if it took more then 20-40 seconds to boot on my main machine I'd get awngry.

Main PC:
0:33 Ubuntu
0:21 XP ( on a RAID )
0:59 Vista ( on same RAID )

Laptop:
1:17 Ubuntu

( I don't have good numbers for my other machines. )

nikoPSK
November 24th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Not quite with you here. How "not really counting"?

Entering my password can make quite a difference here. ATM I am using my shiny tablet pc without a keyboard.

I mean when you get to the login screen, if it was an automated login. How long do you think it would take.

sub2007
November 24th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Windows: 3 minutes 33 seconds (knew it was slow, didn't know that slow though...)
Linux: 1 minute 27 seconds

Windows hasn't been reinstalled in around four years though, so that probably goes some way to explain the slow boot time.

gn2
November 24th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Pentium III 500mhz 192mb RAM Laptop 1min 25 seconds to boot Xubuntu 7.04 to a working desktop including logging on. :)

Same hardware and W2kProSP4 with auto log-in, 5min 35 seconds. :(

popch
November 24th, 2007, 07:34 PM
HP Tablet PC, Pentium M @ 1000MHz,512MB

Ubuntu Linux
PowerOn to GRUB: 17"
Grub to LogIn: 45"
Login to Desktop: 30"

total 92"

Windows XP Pen edition
PowerOn to GRUB: 17" (obviously)
GRUB to Desktop: 80" (auto login)

total 97"

BTW, what do they percentage numbers in the poll show? Can some of us vote twice?

hellion0
November 24th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Linux (desktop): Approx. 1min 35sec from poweron to login screen.
Mac: Approx. 1min 50sec from power on to post-logon splash. (login window is skipped)
Linux (laptop): 2min 15sec from poweron to login screen.
Windows 2000 (laptop): Over 3 mins from poweron to login screen.

rsambuca
November 24th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Look here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FasterBootProcess) for ideas on how to improve bootup time.

hellion0
November 24th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Well, it gives ideas, but not instructions... besides, the boot time on the laptop can't get much faster - it's older.

rsambuca
November 24th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Well, it gives ideas, but not instructions... besides, the boot time on the laptop can't get much faster - it's older.

If you read my post, you would see that I said it gives ideas. Nowhere did I say that it gives "instructions".

Mazza558
November 24th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Ubuntu: 2 mins 10 seconds, approx on restart, 2 mins 20 cold boot
XP: 45 seconds from cold boot to firefox homepage.

:(

sajro
November 24th, 2007, 09:17 PM
When I had Windows I had never reinstalled and had it for 2 years. It took 15 minutes to boot up and was sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

TeaSwigger
November 24th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Kubuntu on a PIII 933mhz 384mb ram: startup from pressing the power button to KDE desktop ready, excluding typing login, is ~1:20. Stock excepting use of boot profile.

Ubuntu: 2 mins 10 seconds, approx on restart, 2 mins 20 cold boot
XP: 45 seconds from cold boot to firefox homepage.

:(

Graphics issue?

Andreas Scherer
December 17th, 2007, 09:36 PM
On this machine it's a totally disappointing 3:35 minutes wait from GRUB to the Kubuntu 7.10 login screen, and another 30 seconds to a working desktop (with Amarok in the toolbar, Konqueror and KMail open on screen, and a MySQL daemon lurking somewhere in the background).

PS: After I found this quote (http://www.czessi.de/de/weblog/kubuntu-7-10-gutsy-gibbon-kein-bootsplash-langer-bootvorgang), all is well. The bootsplash screen is visible and startup takes a mere 1:15 minutes. Case closed!

Details:
Samsung R50 notebook with Intel Pentium M processor (1.73 GHz), 1 GB of RAM, a 120 GB harddrive with seven partitions on ReiserFS, 4 MBit/s DSL connection active on startup.

Unfortunately, I have no clue what is happening in the background, because the ATI driver 8.37 (activated from the system management tool) won't allow me to switch to the text console.

Windows2000 SP 4+ inside a VMware 6.0.2 box with 512 MB of RAM and NAT/vmnet8 connectiveness takes a mere 1:35 minutes from "Start" to the login prompt.

After all that stuff has lifted itself up, performance of the system is excellent. However, until last Thursday, startup time on this very machine was much shorter running OpenSUSE 10.0 with a similar set of applications.

bobbocanfly
December 17th, 2007, 09:54 PM
35 seconds from touching the power switch to GDM, 22 seconds of that is Linux booting (BootChart is an awesome thing), the rest is BIOS/Grub

tech9
December 17th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Hey everyone, I've created this thread with the hope it already hasn't been. I've searched and found no other threads like this so here we go....

I wanted to know your default start-up time. By start-up time I mean how long is it until your computer is ready to use, from the minute you press the power button (not counting the time it takes you to realize that the login screen is already there and type in your username and pass). I have added them all to this poll. If you have more or less(!) time click other and specify.

Mines about a minute and I only use ubuntu.:KS

same here about 1 minute on an old test box...
30 seconds on the Box that I built @ /home

diatribe
December 17th, 2007, 10:01 PM
between 30/45 seconds

m0rphex
December 24th, 2007, 12:52 PM
45-50 sec Debian etch minimal with a few tweaks, 500mhz 300mb ram... This old box is still kicking strong :D With bootchart I get 38 but that doesn't include bios etc..

Ranhiru
December 24th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Im a dual boot user...so Windows and Ubuntu both take to me nearly 1 min to start up....

rune0077
December 24th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Ubuntu: 40 seconds, roughly.
Vista: 30-35 seconds.
Vista with readyboost: 20 seconds.

This is minus the time it takes for me manually to pick an item from the GRUB menu and type in my login.

Mazza558
December 24th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Graphics issue?

Nah, it's just as bad on my ATi Laptop.

Rhubarb
December 24th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Have a look here for bootchart times:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=531453

There should be a check box for under a minute.
It takes my PC 15 seconds to boot up (that's without optimizing it).
(Core 2 Duo 2.7GHz, 4GB RAM).

K.Mandla
December 24th, 2007, 02:53 PM
27 seconds Grub to X, Arch Linux, 1Ghz/512Mb PC133/7200rpm.

tylerspaska
January 6th, 2008, 11:06 AM
it takes me about a minute for vista and Ubuntu from grub to desktop. to be honest i think that vista loads a little bit faster.

abadtooth
January 6th, 2008, 11:10 AM
My boot time is at most a minute, that being twice as fast as Xp was :)

snakeeyes
January 6th, 2008, 11:33 AM
My boot time is less than a minute but I chose the first option since there was nothing lower then that.

Iehova
January 6th, 2008, 12:08 PM
50 seconds from power up to login screen, 13 seconds from login screen to functional desktop. That is, on my laptop.

GSF1200S
January 6th, 2008, 04:51 PM
25 seconds ready to go- Buntu kernel/ kde-core

insane_alien
January 6th, 2008, 05:11 PM
i have ubuntu in 23.4 seconds to desktop(disabling login)
i have arch CLI in about 10
i have windows(XP) at 53seconds.

i'll post vistas login time when i get it(cries at having to sully his computer with vista)

mips
January 6th, 2008, 05:32 PM
46 seconds from power up to working desktop.

HP nx6110 laptop, 1.4GHz Celeron M, 512MB, 40GB 4200rpm hard drive.

I'm sure I can shave a second or two off that time, a 7200rpm drive would also help a lot. But still pretty fast for such a old under powered clunker. Who needs new hardware? ;)

My desktop currently has no OS on it as I wiped kubuntu and going to give it the Arch treatment. Just got to figure LVM out for Arch.

Edit:
Anyone know how to speedup the loading of udev as it seems to sit there for quite some time?

diwas
January 6th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Well good guys...but i have a problem and i think that this is just the place to tell. I have dual boot XP and Ubuntu 7.10. Naturally, I have FAT32 system for XP...I have 3 drives having FAT32. Now each time ubuntu boots...it checks the FAT32 partitions. Everytime this happens so my boot time takes about 5 minutes. Any solution??? Thank you.

insane_alien
January 6th, 2008, 06:28 PM
change the FAT32 drives into ntfs.

ntfs is better than FAT32 and ubuntu can still r/w to them.

in XP do CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs

replace C: with appropriate drive letters. for the C: it will need to be done with a restart. this will convert them and still have your data there.

can't believe you still use FAT32, is there any reason for this? i haven't used it (on a HDD) since the days of win9x

Lster
January 6th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Vista boots about the speed as Ubuntu for me. Both are about 20 to 30 seconds.

shad0w_walker
January 6th, 2008, 06:32 PM
According to boot chart my startup time is about 29 seconds (Last three have been 27, 27, 29 seconds)

diwas
January 6th, 2008, 06:48 PM
God, i had a bunch of wrong concept in my mind. Damn...i used to think that FAT32 is the newest thing...well i have known now...i will convert them to NTFS ASAP. And hey wil it solve the problem of that disk checkin during startup??

hessiess
January 6th, 2008, 07:12 PM
about 30 seconds from hitting on button to gnome loading

klange
January 6th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I have to type a BIOS password (security purposes), wait for Grub to get through its 3 seconds of "Press ESC to show the menu" (I leave it like that so that I can boot to other kernels, etc, if I need to), then my laptop finally boots.
Takes ~45 for the actual boot process, then after logging in it takes for ever for me to actually be able to do anything (all of which is my own fault).

It would be really fast, but do to my own laziness it isn't.

barbedsaber
January 6th, 2008, 07:49 PM
my win xp is 6minutes 9 seconds, which is why i swithced to ubuntu, with a healthy 1 minute 27 seconds

insane_alien
January 6th, 2008, 07:50 PM
God, i had a bunch of wrong concept in my mind. Damn...i used to think that FAT32 is the newest thing...well i have known now...i will convert them to NTFS ASAP. And hey wil it solve the problem of that disk checkin during startup??

yes it will prevent the checks as ubuntu cannot check ntfs partitions.

mcduck
January 7th, 2008, 10:03 PM
If you want to disable checking of some partition at startup all you have to do is to edit /etc/fstab and change the last number on that partitions entry to 0.. :)

Anyway, My Ubuntu takes about 30 seconds from Grub to GDM, and I'd say somewhere around 10 seconds from GDM to fully loaded desktop. I could probably improve the later by installing the latest fglrx drivers so I wouldn't need to use XGL, but I just don't like installing stuff that doesn't come in .deb packages :P

diwas
January 8th, 2008, 06:55 PM
ok i have changed the windows file system to NTFS but the main problem iam facing is that the windows file system doesnt mount itself automatically. Well can anyone help me as i want my filesystem to be mounted automatically.

bufsabre666
January 8th, 2008, 07:04 PM
vista takes 1:15 and ubuntu takes about 40 seconds, and opensuse takes a little under a minute

tdm
January 10th, 2008, 06:18 AM
How do i create a poll for other people to vote on?

-grubby
January 10th, 2008, 06:50 AM
How do i create a poll for other people to vote on?

while creating a thread. Press the checkmark "include poll" and enter the number of poll options you want. then hit "submit thread" and you will be prompted to include a poll

Espreon
January 10th, 2008, 07:02 AM
For me its 30 secs to 1 min