PDA

View Full Version : Does ESD work for you?

BoyOfDestiny
September 4th, 2005, 01:00 AM
I've had quite a bad experience with ESD, in every ubuntu install I've done, I've choosen to disable it.

Just curious if anyone actually can use it out of the box without any tweaks.

If anyone has any suggestions or info about alternative software mixing or where it's heading, would love to know :)

Lovechild
September 4th, 2005, 01:02 AM
well, esd generally makes things go ding at the approximate time it's supposed to... but that's about all you can say about esd.

sapo
September 4th, 2005, 01:15 AM
this was the thing that most crashed my pc..

when i used it.. when my pc started freezing the first thing i tried was: killall esd.. and it solved about 90% of the crashes =x

So now i just use alsa :)

bored2k
September 4th, 2005, 01:16 AM
It plays everything I need to play.

poofyhairguy
September 4th, 2005, 01:59 AM
There is a reason its killed in Breezy.

bored2k
September 4th, 2005, 02:05 AM
Huh? Im using it here. What do you mean ?

poofyhairguy
September 4th, 2005, 02:30 AM
Huh? Im using it here. What do you mean ?

ESD was supposed to be the "total solution" for sound in Gnome. THE way to get the problem fixed. As of Breezy it is no longer viewed the same way. Life is better. Birds chirp.

matthew
September 4th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Wait! I mis-voted. I thought I had disabled it, but that was on my wife's computer that kept crashing while it was enabled. I just looked and discovered that it is what I am using on mine and it works just fine, both for system sounds as well as games and sound editors like audacity.

Anybody that is having problems want to swap votes with me and vote for "it is working perfectly" on my behalf to make up for my silliness?

Lovechild
September 4th, 2005, 02:45 AM

You have been misinformed, esd will not be replaced in breezy

bjweeks
September 4th, 2005, 04:19 AM
WTF? More ESD damn I hate that crap. So what sound improvments are being down is breezy.

jyank
September 4th, 2005, 04:37 AM
ESD actually works best for me, :-\

Wolki
September 4th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Well i like having more than one sound at the same time, so esd it is.

Voted "working perfectly" although, of course, some apps (those without esd support) don't have sound. That's no problem though since it's fast to kill and start again after using that app. Or i just ignore it and listen to some mp3s :)

sapo
September 4th, 2005, 05:09 AM
Well i like having more than one sound at the same time, so esd it is.

Voted "working perfectly" although, of course, some apps (those without esd support) don't have sound. That's no problem though since it's fast to kill and start again after using that app. Or i just ignore it and listen to some mp3s :)
You can have more sounds at same time with alsa... and the best part.. without crashing your entire system from time to time :p

Wolki
September 4th, 2005, 05:13 AM
You can have more sounds at same time with alsa... and the best part.. without crashing your entire system from time to time :p

Yeah, but with esd it works out of the box, and on crappy onboard sound cards. And I can't remember esd ever crashing my system after using it for years (arts sucks and mas never really worked... was quite happy when i found esd) I remember crashing applications though.

darkmatter
September 4th, 2005, 06:25 AM
ESD works perfectly for me.

Even though I had to modify the configuration to get it to work...

a-nubi-s
September 4th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Works perfectly out of the box for me and always has. I can play sound in XMMS, Rhythmbox, Mplayer, Xine, games or anything else all at the same time without any problems.

NeoChaosX
September 4th, 2005, 07:52 AM
I've got ESD running now, but it's more trouble than it's worth to get it working with everything (games, Flash, etc).

Are GNOME 2.12's system sounds no longer reliant on it? I will built an altar of the programmer(s) who implemented it if it is.

primeirocrime
September 4th, 2005, 08:15 AM
I don't understand it. I've disabled it. and also all the system sounds. I use alsa for sound apps and music playing. even gaim notifications are played by the internal beep. this way I don't blow my eardrums.

poofyhairguy
September 4th, 2005, 08:57 AM
You have been misinformed, esd will not be replaced in breezy

No, but there is a better GUI tool to make it really easy for me to replace it.

papangul
September 4th, 2005, 03:45 PM
I voted "works perfectly". There is a problem which I don't know, maybe esd or alsa problem - when I restart after hibernation, I don't have sound. I get a "resource not available" message.

Hamman
September 4th, 2005, 06:23 PM
I voted "works perfectly". There is a problem which I don't know, maybe esd or alsa problem - when I restart after hibernation, I don't have sound. I get a "resource not available" message.
Voted "I've disabled it. Enough said"
Letting ALSA mix the sound worked much better for me. But since I now have an Audigy2 I don't have to vorry about soundservers since it has hardware mixing.

Kapre
September 4th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Works for me here. Tried ALSA (crashed XMMS, BEEP). Tried OSS (no sound on flash, wbsites, Movies).

Jason-X
September 4th, 2005, 09:42 PM
ESD actually works best for me, :-\

Same here :)

endy
September 4th, 2005, 10:05 PM
I selected "I've disabled it. Enough said." however it does works fine but I have no use for it so it's disabled :)

sophtpaw
September 5th, 2005, 11:37 AM
I've had quite a bad experience with ESD, in every ubuntu install I've done, I've choosen to disable it.

If anyone has any suggestions or info about alternative software mixing or where it's heading, would love to know :)

Not me. I'm not sure i've got my system working after tweaking! I love Ubuntu but the sound has always been an issue and i've done several re-installs. I just hope that after Breezy things will iron themselves out on their own. But that is probably wishful thinking.

--
sophtpaw

sophtpaw
September 5th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Wait! I mis-voted. I thought I had disabled it, but that was on my wife's computer that kept crashing while it was enabled. I just looked and discovered that it is what I am using on mine and it works just fine, both for system sounds as well as games and sound editors like audacity.

Anybody that is having problems want to swap votes with me and vote for "it is working perfectly" on my behalf to make up for my silliness?

For the trouble esd has caused me i think it deserves to have an extra vote against it :razz:

--
sophtpaw

xmastree
September 5th, 2005, 11:53 AM
You missed an option:
ESD? What's that?

I thought this thread was about electrostatic discharge...

psychicdragon
September 5th, 2005, 11:59 AM
I don't use esd for a fairly stupid reason, xfce-session doesn't remember it.

Never had any real problems with it though when using gnome.

BoyOfDestiny
September 6th, 2005, 05:11 AM
You missed an option:
ESD? What's that?

I thought this thread was about electrostatic discharge...

ESD or enlightened sound daemon, as I understand it...is to do software mixing.

I'm actually surprised it's working well for some. :razz: What doesn't suprise me is that I'm not alone in my dislike of ESD.

Basically every sound problem I've ever seen on the forums, (there are a lot I'm sure you guys and gals have seen them), are often related to ESD. (I want to say every post... but I'm sure there are some exceptions ;-) )

If I am a new user and have to be faced with a howto... personally I'd prefer ESD off by default. Then just have a forum sticky for "how to enable mulitple sounds"

The other option I suppose is to have a hardware database, and enable ESD on cards that work well and benefit from ESD (something along the lines of how DMA on/off is handled) So basically ESD off for any components where it misbehaves... or at least where hardware mixing is available.

If anyone knows what is going with Breezy (I have ESD off in there),.. Please post about it.

Thanks

xmastree
September 6th, 2005, 05:34 AM
ESD or enlightened sound daemon, as I understand it...is to do software mixing.Ok, thanks. Next question, how do I know if I'm using it or not? I haven't tweaked the sound settings at all since I installed hoary as it worked fine right out of the box.

bored2k
September 6th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Ok, thanks. Next question, how do I know if I'm using it or not? I haven't tweaked the sound settings at all since I installed hoary as it worked fine right out of the box.
Upper panel - System - Preferences - Multimedia Systems Selector. The first option.

Out the box? ESD

xmastree
September 6th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Upper panel - System - Preferences - Multimedia Systems Selector. The first option.ESD for sink, OSS for source.
Testing the other options for sink, all work except artsd.
As for source, nothing seems to make any sound when I click test... :?

bored2k
September 6th, 2005, 06:17 AM
ESD for sink, OSS for source.
Testing the other options for sink, all work except artsd.
As for source, nothing seems to make any sound when I click test... :?
I just stick with what works no questions asked. ESD is what does for me.

xmastree
September 6th, 2005, 06:24 AM
I just stick with what works no questions asked.IOW, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

Curlydave
September 6th, 2005, 11:24 PM
ESD is wayyy too buggy. Fix it or lose it. Some people get it to work without issues, but too many (including me) have problems with it to say that it's fine. It turns out that ESD was why my audio wasn't working and my media players kept crashing. :???:

HaroldJohnson
September 7th, 2005, 01:09 AM
After a fresh install of Hoary on a Powermac G3 (Blue & White), I installed Audacity using Synaptic after enabling the Universe repository. Each time I ran Audacity, it would display this error, "Error initializing audio" or something. (The error's been reported elsewhere in the forums.) Running a killall esd command allow's Audacity to function correctly.

So it looks like ESD has caused some problems for my setup.

Stormy Eyes
September 7th, 2005, 04:56 AM
I disabled that demon-ridden piece of garbage as soon as I could. I f---ing hate ESD; it gets in the way of ALSA.