PDA

View Full Version : Help a troop?

SuperTeece
November 24th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Here at my deployed location, we are allowed to use our laptops on the government LAN, provided we let the comm folks install their windows setup. This of course means that they format our hard drives. I let them do their worst and then resized the partition with Gparted from the live 7.10 disk and now have a dual booted machine. My issue is that I can't really do anything I want to with my Ubuntu side, for example, watch DVDs, play mp3s, make my wireless card work, etc. I was wondering if anyone out there would be willing to lend a helping hand by burning the repositories to DVD and mailing them to me? I have Gutsy on the way and would love to be able to add extras that are only available online.

If anyone can help me with this, I would like to have the four common repositories; Main, Universe, Multiverse, and Restricted.

Thanks!

SrA SuperTeece

PriceChild
November 24th, 2007, 12:39 AM
By the way things like libdvdcss (probably illegal in the us) is not in the repositories for obvious reasons.

a12ctic
November 24th, 2007, 12:40 AM
I'd be more than willing to help, I'm just not sure how to go along getting this done, how would i burn the repositories to a dvd?

PriceChild
November 24th, 2007, 12:40 AM
http://packages.ubuntu.com/aptoncd

SuperTeece
November 24th, 2007, 12:46 AM
I'd be more than willing to help, I'm just not sure how to go along getting this done, how would i burn the repositories to a dvd?

I found this about a week ago but I have no one back home who is a fellow Ubuntu user so the steps make no sense to them, lol. http://www.howtoforge.com/dvd_images_of_ubuntu_repositories

Playing DVDs isn't the biggest of deals so if libdvdcss isn't there then no big deal. It would just be nice to be able to use the system as if I here at home with an unfiltered internet connection. Just to give an example of how bad it is here, most Linux based websites are blocked because they offer "Freeware."

TC

a12ctic
November 24th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Well, I'm out of town for the night, I'll be back in town tomarrow but I've got work as soon as I get home, I can probably have it shipped like monday morning (is UPS open sunday?). I could probably throw any extra files you need that aren't inthe repos on a data cd or something if you'd like.

SuperTeece
November 24th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Well, I'm out of town for the night, I'll be back in town tomarrow but I've got work as soon as I get home, I can probably have it shipped like monday morning (is UPS open sunday?). I could probably throw any extra files you need that aren't inthe repos on a data cd or something if you'd like.

I greatly appreciate it. I will send you my address in a PM.

TC

a12ctic
November 25th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Just wondering, is there way to do this wihtout installing ubuntu, I'm running Zenwalk on my main partion and my ubuntu partion only has 20gbs

Ocxic
November 25th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I have everything I need installed including various pliuging codecs install and I'm only using 3.5GB,,

on a side note, I made a mirror of the repositories for myself and lerned that there only 20GB big so I doubt installing some stuff will use very much space