PDA

View Full Version : Anobody uses Brother MFC-665cw All-in-One?

vitorio
November 23rd, 2007, 06:11 PM
Hi folks,

I am looking to buy Brother MFC-665cw and badly need to know whether its cartridges are refillable? I mean, is it possible to refill them on my own? And if it is possible, could you tell me if it is very messy.

I currently own Canon i550 and to refill its cartridges is a piece of cake. Takes 5-10 minutes. But since I've decided to switch completely to Ubuntu I want to replace it as the support for it is a kind of flaky.

Appreciate any info.

Thanks.

George1972
November 16th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Hi folks,

I am looking to buy Brother MFC-665cw and badly need to know whether its cartridges are refillable? I mean, is it possible to refill them on my own? And if it is possible, could you tell me if it is very messy.

I currently own Canon i550 and to refill its cartridges is a piece of cake. Takes 5-10 minutes. But since I've decided to switch completely to Ubuntu I want to replace it as the support for it is a kind of flaky.

Appreciate any info.

Thanks.

There appear to be refill kits on the market for this printer. I've owned this printer since 2006 and have been using generic ink cartridges because the cartridges seem nearly as economical to me as the refill kits for it, so you may want to consider them as an option that forgoes manual refills available to you for this particular printer. The cartridges have cost me between $3.50 and $4.00 each from the source I usually by from on-line, and the results have been good and permitted me to maintain very low operating costs for what I've found to be a rather good and reliable printer thus far. I've also recently seen these cartridges available for as little as $2.50 each elsewhere. The printer itself has never distinguished in operation between genuine Brother cartridges or the generics I've used (mine are manufactured by G & C Ink Cartridges). I'm still using it over a wireless switch connected to a Debian, 4 Ubuntu, a Vista, and an XP system now using Brother's own drivers and no problems so far (knock on wood).

I've been buying them from http://www.catalog800.com out of habit, but searching Google with the terms, "lc51bk", and "generic" (should return results for the black cartridge) yields numerous other places at which generic cartridges for this printer are available. Modify the search with terms, "lc51c", "lc51m", and "lc51y" for the cyan, magenta, and yellow cartridges, respectively, to return all 4 cartridges this printer uses.

Good luck.