PDA

View Full Version : Hi guys, take a look...

johnwillis
November 23rd, 2007, 05:25 PM
Hi guys/gals,

I've created a new site for trying to get users to learn/try Linux - specifically Ubuntu.

It's not designed to replace any one site, but just provide a place for Linux users to start off.

I'm going to be posting guides, etc. And also I'll post some VMWare Disk Images and the Player for users to download and try on their Windows boxes.

My aim for the site is to get a starting place for users to come and learn the basics, from getting hold of Ubuntu, to running it, installing it, configuring it. All in once easy to navigate place.

I hope you can all register and help out with posts, etc.

Thanks,

John

banewman
November 23rd, 2007, 05:32 PM
"Hi guys take a look..."
Where?

Paul820
November 23rd, 2007, 05:38 PM
"Hi guys take a look..."
Where?

Use the force luke....:)

n3tfury
November 23rd, 2007, 05:55 PM
Hi guys/gals,

I've created a new site for trying to get users to learn/try Linux - specifically Ubuntu.

It's not designed to replace any one site, but just provide a place for Linux users to start off.

I'm going to be posting guides, etc. And also I'll post some VMWare Disk Images and the Player for users to download and try on their Windows boxes.

My aim for the site is to get a starting place for users to come and learn the basics, from getting hold of Ubuntu, to running it, installing it, configuring it. All in once easy to navigate place.

I hope you can all register and help out with posts, etc.

Thanks,

John

so other than the vmware images, a place like this huh?

NilsHG
November 23rd, 2007, 05:59 PM
its like a job offering i read recently:
"if you have the following blablabla .. then please apply to our program! we are looking forward to meet you."
the only problem was: they did not give a name, address, contact or anything :D:lolflag:

johnwillis
November 23rd, 2007, 06:03 PM
wwww.essentiallinux.org - sorry guys :)

yeah, kinda like here. but i wanted somewhere when you can literally send a new user and it'll be kinda like an online training site.

there are forums, but nothing to extensive, just a place for them to post questions, etc.

I really should read my posts through before i send them, lol.

John

ticopelp
November 23rd, 2007, 06:08 PM
wwww.essentiallinux.org - sorry guys :)

yeah, kinda like here. but i wanted somewhere when you can literally send a new user and it'll be kinda like an online training site.

there are forums, but nothing to extensive, just a place for them to post questions, etc.

I really should read my posts through before i send them, lol.

John

Agreed.

By the way, there are only three w's in www. ;)

johnwillis
November 23rd, 2007, 06:11 PM
i'm not having a good day for typos really am i?

never mind, u get the message :)

i love this forum, as well as the Linux Mint forum. So i didn't want to take anything away from these. just produce a small site for documenting issues new users might want to know about. in particular the fact that they are migrating from windows.

i've been using Linux since 2003 so, if I can, i don't see why everyone else can't! :)

And that's a seriously quick reply ticopelp!

-J
http://www.essentiallinux.org (http://essentiallinux.org)

banewman
November 23rd, 2007, 06:11 PM
OK - the blokes trying
We've had some fun.
He'll have learnt a bit and hopefully will come back and tell us about his good efforts to help the community (with a link). :)
If he has a listing of links to all the howtos in alphabetical order that would be a real bonus. :)

ticopelp
November 23rd, 2007, 06:17 PM
And that's a seriously quick reply ticopelp!

-J
http://www.essentiallinux.org (http://essentiallinux.org)

All kidding aside, I wish you the best of luck with this. It's always nice to see someone trying to give back and help others with Linux.

popch
November 23rd, 2007, 06:30 PM
I am in a nit picking mood right now.

The very first sentence in your site says:

Hello and welcome to Essential Linux.org - the place to find out about Open Source software!

Isn't the site meant to find out about Linux? - Open Source software would be quite a bit more than Linux.

johnwillis
November 23rd, 2007, 06:42 PM
I am in a nit picking mood right now.

The very first sentence in your site says:

Isn't the site meant to find out about Linux? - Open Source software would be quite a bit more than Linux.

Changed it just for you popch!

I really do hope it becomes a useful tool for users.

I am in the process of converting some of our Windows workstations to Linux at work and hopefully it'll allow users to see past Microsoft.

J

popch
November 23rd, 2007, 06:56 PM
Changed it just for you popch!

Well, I'm flabberg.. - er - astonished.

I just had a look at the page titled 'get linux'. I have three comments to offer:

1. You decided to publish just the best case scenario. That's when booting the CD actually succeeds and the PC ends up by showing the desktop. That might be useful for quite a lot of people. However, when there is no link to follow when encountering problems, you might drop quite some part of your intended audience.

Your decision, of course.

2. You send your audience to a site other than Ubuntu's to download the image. Is that a good idea?

3. The title area of your page (the blue bar containing the title) makes me want to clean my glasses. Granted, I might be elderly by the standards of most users in this forum, however it is just a tiny bit irritating. I think it's the striping of the blue background which does it.

This are just minor issues. On the whole, the site has good prospects of becoming very useful.

johnwillis
November 23rd, 2007, 07:14 PM
I'll take your comments on board. I may change the theme yet. We'll see.

As for the image hosting. It's using a host in the UK from one of the major ISP's. So it's a safe bet that the image is good and up to date.

It's acutally listed on the download list on www.ubuntu.com, plus may as well use their bandwidth than mine or ubuntu's :)

On the whole the site needs work, I'll keep it updated whenever I get time, if you check my blog out, you'll see the list of intended things to run throughout Decemeber.

Thanks for the comments.

J

johnwillis
November 23rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
I've just changed the theme colour to orange, far more Ubuntu :)

-J