PDA

View Full Version : Why I Like OpenSUSE 10.3 Better

Vince4Amy
November 23rd, 2007, 05:10 PM
I've just Installed OpenSUSE on my Acer Travelmate laptop & I am very impressed by the performance I'm getting from it. Yes I have to admit it longer to install, but what can one expect from a DVD Image.

After I had chosen the packages on the Installer it was all ready to go, it updated it's self during the install process too from the online repositories, which although not a must have feature I found it quite useful.

The main point of Interest I got from OpenSUSE is how it feels more polished off & more user friendly, the menu on KDE is very impressive. I never had the problems with logging off as I did with Kubuntu either. I am now going to Install OpenSUSE on my secondary PC then a bit later on this one. I definately feel that OpenSUSE suites my needs better than Kubuntu.

Also to note I like the click & install system. Compiling from source seems faster on the same hardware too.

RebounD11
November 23rd, 2007, 08:05 PM
The best OS I have used so far. Recommended it to others and so far no complaints or discards. This has never happened before when I recommended Linux.

Incense
November 23rd, 2007, 10:32 PM
I feel the same way about OpenSUSE. Most people who use it seem to have a really positive experience. I hope it works out for you. Let us know if you have any questions. There are quite a few openSUSE users who frequent the ubuntu forums.

rfruth
November 24th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I have a dual boot Ubuntu / openSUSE (10.3) box but the fonts look wrong to me with SUSE (Ubuntu is fine) granted its rather low end hardware (512 MB RAM with integrated video) http://picasaweb.google.com/rob.fruth/Guinnevere

RebounD11
November 24th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Fonts look better on my girlfriend's computer which is closer to your laptop configuration than on my machine which is a little more powerful :D - anyway fonts are fixable... choose the ones that looks best for you.

Incense
November 25th, 2007, 06:02 AM
I have a dual boot Ubuntu / openSUSE (10.3) box but the fonts look wrong to me with SUSE (Ubuntu is fine) granted its rather low end hardware (512 MB RAM with integrated video) http://picasaweb.google.com/rob.fruth/Guinnevere

I would have to agree with you on that one. The fonts on openSUSE do look a bit off to me when I first load it. I couldn't tell what it was at first until I started getting a headache. As already stated though, it's not a big deal and those can be changed.

jmedina
November 25th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Opensuse is not too bad. I tried 10.3 and found 2 bugs. 1)It does not shutdown properly, but many people have been reporting the same problem so I'm guessing it will probably be taken care of soon. 2)Hplip acts really weird, it locks itself up when you shutdown, So you have to reconfigure the printer each time you want to use it. Other than that I have seen progress since 10.2. Because, 10.2 wouldn't even install for me. All they need to do is fix those problems and opensuse will have me hooked.

dasunst3r
November 25th, 2007, 06:20 AM
openSUSE has always been a close second distribution of choice for me because of how polished it is. If I have time like I used to, I would definitely give it its fair shot.

RebounD11
November 25th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Opensuse is not too bad. I tried 10.3 and found 2 bugs. 1)It does not shutdown properly, but many people have been reporting the same problem so I'm guessing it will probably be taken care of soon. 2)Hplip acts really weird, it locks itself up when you shutdown, So you have to reconfigure the printer each time you want to use it. Other than that I have seen progress since 10.2. Because, 10.2 wouldn't even install for me. All they need to do is fix those problems and opensuse will have me hooked.

For me it didn't suspend well, but I think there's sth on that in their Wiki, and it seems easy.

Incense
November 25th, 2007, 02:55 PM
For me it didn't suspend well, but I think there's sth on that in their Wiki, and it seems easy.

Suspend didn't work out of the box for me. I had to edit

/usr/lib/pm-utils/defaults

change

S2RAM_OPTS="-"

to

S2RAM_OPTS="-f -a 3"

and save the file as config in

/etc/pm/config.d/

and it worked just fine. Maybe this will help someone out there.

http://en.opensuse.org/Pm-utils

RebounD11
November 25th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Maybe this will help someone out there.

http://en.opensuse.org/Pm-utils

That's the Wiki page I was talking about.

Vince4Amy
November 26th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Now the 5th day of Using OpenSUSE and I've managed to get it to connect to my Windows network much easier than I managed to with Kubuntu.

jmedina
November 27th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Good to know. How do you like YAST?

Vince4Amy
November 27th, 2007, 01:49 PM
YAST Has certainly improved a lot from the days when I was using SUSE 9.1. I find it to be much easier to use now and it seems to pick up dependancies better.

dca
November 27th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I use it on a lot of my systems for the polish alone. Just the look of it is professional. The only problem is some of the bugs that are more so fixed on the fly. Some update break some things that used to work. YaST has definitely come a long way. It makes Ubuntu look like a toy in a lot of ways, however, Ubuntu 7.10 is a little more dependable than openSuSE 10.3.

Iznogood
December 4th, 2007, 02:18 PM

For "fixing" fonts on openSUSE read this SubpixelHinting (http://opensuse-community.org/SubpixelHinting)

khurrum1990
December 10th, 2007, 09:32 PM
OpenSUSE is excellent, very polished and stable. I am only using Kubuntu 7.10 right now though cause it works better on this hardware though it could have worked on openSUSE 10.3 if I tried and plus I wanted a Debian based Linux system this time. Before Kubuntu I used openSUSE 10.2.

pebo
December 10th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Used SuSE from about 6.1 on, until 'the deal with the devil'. Then I decided it was time to move on and I went to ubuntu & arch. There is life after YAST after all! (though I admit it's the best graphical config tool around). And I wouldn't touch an rpm based system after the 10.1 fiasco...

regomodo
December 13th, 2007, 02:23 AM
just tried the opensuse gnome livecd. Colour me impressed. It is well laid out and ran very quickly, even from the cd! Yast worked well and quickly

I'm going to try the dvd install and dualboot with debian lenny

Tarmael
December 14th, 2007, 07:21 AM
I tried OpenSUSE 10.3 for about 5 days, I just came back to Ubuntu today.

I must say, I rather enjoyed OpenSUSE. YaST was really handy!
I enjoyed it, but I don't like rpm as much as deb, and I found the package handling system less informative as Ubuntu's synaptic.
First config of GRUB from OpenSUSE didn't properly install my windows partition neither (I hope one day to get rid of that partition...). Ubuntu from fresh install configures GRUB correctly to add my Windows install. SaX2 was rather handy, and I could configure it in the terminal. I didn't like how I couldn't use gedit through the terminal (if I could, then I wasn't doing it right) and how OpenSUSE doesn't come fresh with nano. It's a rather handy tool when you're lost in a sea of configuring your xorg.conf while everything else isn't working.

I really did enjoy OpenSUSE but I wouldn't return to it on my main machine.

I'd put it on a laptop though.

thanks for reading,
Bas

RebounD11
December 14th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I've recently returned from Ubuntu back to OpenSuSE 10.3, and the reason for doing that is Networking. I can configure my network a lot more easily in OpenSuSE than in Ubuntu (for that matter I can configure the network more easily in any distro than in Ubuntu). Anyway, I needed to change my network configuration based on a Windows tutorial and I went through hell to figure out how to do it in Ubuntu... and in OpenSuSE it was child-play.

Besides the reason I left OpenSuSE was an update that wrecked my graphics performance... but that was fixed in the last update :D

khurrum1990
December 17th, 2007, 03:58 PM
OpenSUSE is as easy as Windows was for me. Seriously their tools like Yast r excellent.

petersjm
December 18th, 2007, 01:37 PM
To be honest, I'm booting OpenSUSE 10.3 more often than Kubuntu now. I think it just looks very impressive and handles pretty well. The only complaint I have is that my mouse lags when I'm loading an application, or when opensuse-updater is checking for updates when I boot up (oh, checking for updates takes like 5 minutes or so every time - is that normal?). There's probably a fix, but I don't know what it is... :(

RebounD11
December 18th, 2007, 05:36 PM
To be honest, I'm booting OpenSUSE 10.3 more often than Kubuntu now. I think it just looks very impressive and handles pretty well. The only complaint I have is that my mouse lags when I'm loading an application, or when opensuse-updater is checking for updates when I boot up (oh, checking for updates takes like 5 minutes or so every time - is that normal?). There's probably a fix, but I don't know what it is... :(

It's normal (unfortunately)... I deactivate it after boot... I only update when I feel like it :D

petersjm
December 19th, 2007, 10:20 AM
It's normal (unfortunately)... I deactivate it after boot... I only update when I feel like it :D

Thanks. Suppose I could do the same, but knowing me I'd forget to update... Although I guess I could set a reminder in Kontact to alert me once a week or so...

Incense
December 19th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks. Suppose I could do the same, but knowing me I'd forget to update... Although I guess I could set a reminder in Kontact to alert me once a week or so...

That is the problem with disabling it of course. You really do not want to miss out on important security updates. The nice thing about doing your updates manually, as opposed to the openSUSE updater, if that you see what you are getting, and can decline anything that you think may brake your system. Though I think the devs learned their lesson after that kernel update that broke a lot of systems.

Incense
December 19th, 2007, 05:07 PM

I've been going the other way lately, booting into kubuntu more then openSUSE. It's really more as an experiment more then anything. When I read KDE blogs, the devs seem to all being using kubuntu, and I wanted to find out why. Overall gutsy really is not that bad. Firefox does krash a lot more though, and the overall feel of the distro is a lot slower then openSUSE. Package management however is lightening fast, and I have KDE RC2 running with no problems. I don't know if I'm going to keep it however. It's a great release to be sure, but it's just not as snappy as SUSE.