PDA

View Full Version : Valaki Magyar ?

mellowd
November 23rd, 2007, 04:59 PM
csak kivancsi vagyok hogy van-e valaki aki magyar? :)

PartisanEntity
November 23rd, 2007, 05:39 PM
I only understood magyar, which means hungarian, right?

mellowd
November 23rd, 2007, 05:40 PM
That's right! :)

djsroknrol
November 23rd, 2007, 06:05 PM
No, you're not the only Hungarian...My grandparents (both sides) were Hungarian...:) Te nem vagy az egyetlen magyar

mellowd
November 23rd, 2007, 06:06 PM
My wife is Hugarian, not me :) I'm wondering how many there are here?

mellowd
November 23rd, 2007, 06:07 PM
No, you're not the only Hungarian...My grandparents (both sides) were Hungarian...:)

When did they leave? Can you speak Hungarian?

djsroknrol
November 23rd, 2007, 06:11 PM
When did they leave? Can you speak Hungarian?

They left during the Communist revolution...I know some, but not conversational level...Budapest is a wonderful city. Never found a good Hungarian woman, otherwise I'd be married to one and speaking it better.

mellowd
November 23rd, 2007, 06:16 PM
Budapest is great, I'm going to visit again soon.

bodycoach2
November 23rd, 2007, 06:20 PM
The only Magyar I remember (besides the royality) is Zoltan Magyar - and incredible gymnast on Pommel Horse. First to do the "Magyar Travel" -circles facing down the horse, and traveling that direction.

mellowd
November 23rd, 2007, 06:22 PM
The only Magyar I remember (besides the royality) is Zoltan Magyar - and incredible gymnast on Pommel Horse. First to do the "Magyar Travel" -circles facing down the horse, and traveling that direction.

Funny thing is that Magyar also refers to the Hungarian people. Kind of having a last name of American over there? :p

Balazs_noob
November 23rd, 2007, 06:31 PM
én magyar vagyok és kb. még vagy 2 ember láttam aki szintén
:popcorn:

mellowd
November 23rd, 2007, 06:48 PM
csak ketto? remenykedtem, hogy tobb magyart talalhotok... :(

PriceChild
November 23rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
From the Forums CoC (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy):

10. Please strive to communicate with other users as effectively as possible:

Please try to write your posts in English unless you are participating in a Loco Forum, where you are permitted to use another language if it is in common use in that Loco Forum and understood by the Loco Forum staff. We have many users from many different countries that visit here and English is the common language of these forums.

kellemes
November 23rd, 2007, 07:46 PM
Sziasztok!

I've been living/working in Hungary a couple of years, forgot most of the language but will never forget the people and culture, really made an impression.
My nickname is also Hungarian.

Kingsley
November 23rd, 2007, 07:46 PM
Hungarians own. They invented the Rubik's Cube and goulash.

mellowd
November 23rd, 2007, 08:17 PM
Sziasztok!

I've been living/working in Hungary a couple of years, forgot most of the language but will never forget the people and culture, really made an impression.
My nickname is also Hungarian.

szia! Are you originally from the Netherlands? Kan jy verstaan Afrikaans?

kellemes
November 23rd, 2007, 08:36 PM
szia! Are you originally from the Netherlands? Kan jy verstaan Afrikaans?

Yes, Dutch down to the bone..

:popcorn:

mellowd
November 23rd, 2007, 08:48 PM
Yes, Dutch down to the bone..

Ja zeker..het is bijna hetzelfde.. toch?
Voor mij klinkt Afrikaans soms een beetje gek. :popcorn:

Similar, but there are quite a few differences. Afrikaans first speaks generally have no problem understanding dutch in vice versa. It's my second language so unfortuantely it's a bit more difficult for me (which is bad, my grandmother was dutch)

When I went to Amsterdam I had no problem reading, but listening was a bit difficult

kellemes
November 23rd, 2007, 08:53 PM
Similar, but there are quite a few differences. Afrikaans first speaks generally have no problem understanding dutch in vice versa. It's my second language so unfortuantely it's a bit more difficult for me (which is bad, my grandmother was dutch)

When I went to Amsterdam I had no problem reading, but listening was a bit difficult

A German friend of mine said the Dutch sound like they always choke on a peace of gum. :popcorn:

PriceChild
November 24th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Thread split to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=621469

lode
November 24th, 2007, 12:39 AM
I am very hungry, too*.

I think I'll cook up some goulash...

In the other news:

The Dutch do sound like they're always choking on a piece of gum.

In the other other news:

Suid-Afrikaans does sound awesome.

* I'm amazed this hasn't been said before.

Balazs_noob
November 24th, 2007, 08:11 AM
so i am the only Hungarian who found this thread so far ?? :D

mellowd
November 24th, 2007, 08:20 AM
so i am the only Hungarian who found this thread so far ?? :D

seems like it :/ unfortunately this thread is getting butchered which as I said previously goes against the very philosophy of Ubuntu. Essentially what's being said is this: "You're welcome here, as long as you only speak in English"

Balazs_noob
November 24th, 2007, 08:30 AM
why are you searching Hungarians any way ?? :D
just curious ?? ;)

mellowd
November 24th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Yeah, out of interest. I have a lot of interest in Hungarian culture (my wife is Hungarian)

popch
November 24th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Essentially what's being said is this: "You're welcome here, as long as you only speak in English"

Actually, what's being said is that in this place we converse in English.

Where I live it is considered rude to converse in a language not understood by anyone present when that is avoidable. People go even to the length to repeat their statement in other languages or to translate what others said for those who couldn't understand it.

mellowd
November 24th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Actually, what's being said is that in this place we converse in English.

Where I live it is considered rude to converse in a language not understood by anyone present when that is avoidable. People go even to the length to repeat their statement in other languages or to translate what others said for those who couldn't understand it.

And what of those who don't understand English?

Erwin
November 24th, 2007, 10:43 AM
And what of those who don't understand English?
I'm going to flout the guidelines and warnings and speak something other than English again, oh wait... my post has been edited.

mellowd
November 24th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I'm going to flout the guidelines and warnings and speak something other than English again, oh wait... my post has been edited.

Maybe, but I still feel that is against the philosophy of Ubuntu. What if they are a minority and their forums are simply too small? Why do they have to suffer with no support?

Erwin
November 24th, 2007, 10:59 AM

popch
November 24th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Maybe, but I still feel that is against the philosophy of Ubuntu. What if they are a minority and their forums are simply too small? Why do they have to suffer with no support?

Ubuntu is not an equal opportunity organisation.

What about those members unfortunate enough not having a computer? Do you expect canonical to send them a PC free of charge along with the free CD?

Besides, how would a member profit from the support given here in an English speaking forum unless he or she understood English (and presumably could write in English, after a fashion)?

Do not blame those who can and do converse in English for other forums being too small.

If the number of members in a localized forum is really that much of a concern, members conversing in both that language and in English could offer submitting queries to the English language forums for members who are unable to do so, when the queries can not be answered locally.

That, IMO, would be quite in the spirit of Ubuntu.

mellowd
November 24th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Ubuntu is not an equal opportunity organisation.
What about those members unfortunate enough not having a computer? Do you expect canonical to send them a PC free of charge along with the free CD?.=
There is nothing that can be done about people without PC's. There is something that can be done for other languages though. Secondly, people without PC's wouldn't need PC support correct?

Besides, how would a member profit from the support given here in an English speaking forum unless he or she understood English (and presumably could write in English, after a fashion)?
Entirely my point. They could ask a question in their own language and hopefully someone who can speak both theirs and English could help and/or translate

This is what's behind the philosophy of Ubuntu

popch
November 24th, 2007, 11:20 AM
They could ask a question in their own language and hopefully someone who can speak both theirs and English could help and/or translate

That would be frightfully inefficient. Also, it would make browsing a subforum a very inconvenient venture, when there is a sizeable portion of thread titles you have no chance of understanding. Besides, how would I know that I had the very expertise someone from Hungary needed, when I do not even faintly understand the title of the thread?

Also, there's the small task of keeping order in a multilingual forum. How would you prevent members of a terrorist organisation from organising whatever such people do?

mellowd
November 24th, 2007, 11:23 AM
That would be frightfully inefficient. Also, it would make browsing a subforum a very inconvenient venture, when there is a sizeable portion of thread titles you have no chance of understanding. Besides, how would I know that I had the very expertise someone from Hungary needed, when I do not even faintly understand the title of the thread?
And yet how would a person who never understood a word of English post in English?

Also, there's the small task of keeping order in a multilingual forum. How would you prevent members of a terrorist organisation from organising whatever such people do?
Terrorists? On a linux support forum?

popch
November 24th, 2007, 12:16 PM
And yet how would a person who never understood a word of English post in English?

They would not. They would post in a language they understand. They would do so in a forum which specifically supports that language. And they would understandably find it inconvenient if a sizeable number of posts was incomprehensible to them.

And that's for the same reason that a person who does not understand Enlish would not look into a thread written in English.

Terrorists? On a linux support forum?

www.terrorist.org ? With Gaelic, Basque, Arabian, Tamil and English subfora, Code of conduct and Market Corner?

PriceChild
November 24th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Perhaps if you are so concerned about people who only speak Hungarian... you could get involved with your LoCo, sort out a forum/subforum here and then the whole world would be happy and smile.

kellemes
November 24th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Anyway, the way this threads has been going has been rather disapointing to me.. I can understand there are rules of behavior in this forum, since it's a support forum and posters/readers should trust support-questions are dealt with in English..

I have been providing support in the tux-community for the last 6/7 years or so.. including Dutch language forums.. and never saw such a "hard-enforced" rule as I see here..
A couple of foreign words in the café should not be butchered to death with a forumrule! This is silly and not reasonable.

mellowd
November 24th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Anyway, the way this threads has been going has been rather disapointing to me.. I can understand there are rules of behavior in this forum, since it's a support forum and posters/readers should trust support-questions are dealt with in English..

I have been providing support in the tux-community for the last 6/7 years or so.. including Dutch language forums.. and never saw such a "hard-enforced" rule as I see here..
A couple of foreign words in the café should not be butchered to death with a forumrule! This is silly and not reasonable.

I couldn't agree more.

Balazs_noob
November 24th, 2007, 10:15 PM
looks like there are no fellow Hungarians reading the Forums now :(

mellowd
November 25th, 2007, 09:49 AM
looks like there are no fellow Hungarians reading the Forums now :(

Igen :(

Translation for those of you who only want english : Igen = yes

popch
November 25th, 2007, 10:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_ve37gVwxw

Balazs_noob
November 25th, 2007, 11:24 AM
nice Comedy ;)
i would have liked it better if the guy speaks
Hungarian before they hit him, i have no idea what
that language is
:lolflag:

Balazs_noob
January 15th, 2008, 02:04 PM
beware all non English mother thonged friends
if you post anything in any non English language and
even if you post a translation you will get a warn
and your posts will be deleted ;) like me :)

you all have been warned

nikoPSK
January 18th, 2008, 03:41 AM
I am hungarian, but yet need to learn the language

mellowd
January 20th, 2008, 08:38 PM
beware all non English mother thonged friends
if you post anything in any non English language and
even if you post a translation you will get a warn
and your posts will be deleted ;) like me :)

you all have been warned

Not if you type in binary it seems. words fail...

mellowd
January 20th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I am hungarian, but yet need to learn the language

I'm amazed at how many Hungarian ex-pats are in Canada. Good luck trying to learn it. I think you should and share my pain at trying to learn such a difficult language

popch
January 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Not if you type in binary it seems. words fail...

I take it this is a refence to the thread at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=647847

The very first post in that thread holds a link to a web site which does the encoding and decoding of the binary stuff. So it is just a few seconds of pointing and klicking to render the binary stuff readable.

I have done a spot check, and all posts I checked in that thread are indeed in English.

The same can not be said for posts in your language. There is no web service which can reliably translate Hungarian into English.

The cases are not the same.

Please realise that I find your language utterly fascinating, and that I find it perfectly all right to ask whether there are any Hungarian people in this forum. But please understand that forum staff have to watch over the terms of use for this forum, and the terms of use are made very plain in the code of conduct.

mellowd
January 20th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I take it this is a refence to the thread at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=647847

The very first post in that thread holds a link to a web site which does the encoding and decoding of the binary stuff. So it is just a few seconds of pointing and klicking to render the binary stuff readable.

I have done a spot check, and all posts I checked in that thread are indeed in English.

The same can not be said for posts in your language. There is no web service which can reliably translate Hungarian into English.

The cases are not the same.

Please realise that I find your language utterly fascinating, and that I find it perfectly all right to ask whether there are any Hungarian people in this forum. But please understand that forum staff have to watch over the terms of use for this forum, and the terms of use are made very plain in the code of conduct.

Firstly, it isn't my language. Secondly, if you know where to look there are plently of translating tools, here is one for you: http://www.webforditas.hu/?lang=english

popch
January 20th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Firstly, it isn't my language. Secondly, if you know where to look there are plently of translating tools, here is one for you: http://www.webforditas.hu/?lang=english

Firstly: sorry, my mistake.

Secondly: Machine based language translation has made astonishing progress in the last years. However, it does not yet qualify as reliable.

matthew
January 20th, 2008, 09:50 PM
First, binary to ascii is not the same as using a translation algorithm that is fallible. Once the binary in the thread in question is transformed to ascii it is easily read, and every post there that I have check has been in English and has used language appropriate to these forums. If the posts were made in Spanish and then transformed to binary, you might have a better comparison.

Binary is more like encryption than it is a different language...albeit a very weak encoding that is very easily decoded.

Second, this thread has become a part of a complaint in the Resolution Center. For that reason, I am going to close it.

matthew
January 21st, 2008, 09:20 AM
The staff review of the issue is complete and I am reopening this thread.

gratulációk! (congratulations!)

nikoPSK
January 21st, 2008, 04:43 PM
I'm amazed at how many Hungarian ex-pats are in Canada. Good luck trying to learn it. I think you should and share my pain at trying to learn such a difficult language

ah, well me mums from Hungary and my father's of European parents; one German and one British. So I am pretty European. Thanks matthew. :)

beanco
July 23rd, 2008, 09:13 PM

en nem vagyok egyaltalan magyar, de igyekszem megeleni ebben az orszagban, nem konyu feleadat.. most pl szendvedek az Ubuntu es Apeh/abev parositasaval....

robi

This is just to say that I wrote:

I am not at all Hungarian but doing my best to survive in this country.. not an easy task.... for ex. I am suffering withe the Ubuntu and Apeh/Abev paring ...

Robi

sisco311
July 23rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
sziasztok
en is magyar vagyok
hi
i'm also hungarian

mellowd
August 18th, 2008, 02:29 AM
sziasztok
en is magyar vagyok
hi
i'm also hungarian

I see your location is Romania. Are you living in one of the old Hungarian parts?

mellowd
August 18th, 2008, 02:30 AM
en nem vagyok egyaltalan magyar, de igyekszem megeleni ebben az orszagban, nem konyu feleadat.. most pl szendvedek az Ubuntu es Apeh/abev parositasaval....

robi

This is just to say that I wrote:

I am not at all Hungarian but doing my best to survive in this country.. not an easy task.... for ex. I am suffering withe the Ubuntu and Apeh/Abev paring ...

Robi

Hi Robi.

Where are you originally from? How is it working there?

My wife wants to move back to Hungary, but magyar is incredibly difficult to learn!

mellowd
August 18th, 2008, 02:31 AM
The staff review of the issue is complete and I am reopening this thread.

gratulációk! (congratulations!)

Sef
August 18th, 2008, 02:34 AM
My wife wants to move back to Hungary, but magyar is incredibly difficult to learn!

It helps if you already speak another second language or more. Your first foreign language is the hardest to learn.

mellowd
August 18th, 2008, 02:36 AM
It helps if you already speak another second language or more. Your first foreign language is the hardest to learn.

I'm speak 2 and can understand 4. Alas they are all part of the Indo-European group of languages as opposed to being an Ugric language like Hungarian :/

And yes, learning a second language for the first time is always the most difficult, once you learn that grammar always changes it's generally easy from there :)