PDA

View Full Version : Would like to do an Ubuntu event in West Yorkshire...

stoodleysnow
November 23rd, 2007, 01:31 PM
I'd like to organise an open-to-public Ubuntu promotion event in the Calder Valley. I could sort out a Church Hall or similar for a venue, and supply some old computers for demonstration, but will need help pulling the rest together. Anyone in West Yorkshire, Lancashire or further afield wish to help?
My idea is to promote Ubuntu to homes, schools and businesses in the local area, including (but not exclusive to) HBOS in Copley, Calderdale College and all the local schools.:)

stoodleysnow
November 23rd, 2007, 01:48 PM
Should this post be moved to a different subforum? I'm not sure...

Jimmey
November 23rd, 2007, 02:03 PM
Do you know where Shipley is? Are you near Bradford?

stoodleysnow
November 23rd, 2007, 02:18 PM
I'm about 30 miles from Bradford. Type 'Todmorden' into Google maps (or OL14 6HY if you like being precise)
I'm at Calderdale College in Halifax at the moment though.
I vaguely know where Shipley is, will need to check a map to remember exactly... Keighley road out of Bradford, I think...:-k

stoodleysnow
November 23rd, 2007, 02:34 PM
Here's a map (attached) Todmorden bottom left, Shipley top right.

stoodleysnow
November 25th, 2007, 01:47 AM
bump

Jimmey
November 25th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Yeah, my Gran lives just off that road.

I would consider helping, although I can't make promises because of transport, etc.

How are you planning to promote Ubuntu?

I'd love to help you get that set up. Just would like to know how you're planning on going about it.

stoodleysnow
November 27th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I'm thinking along the lines of an all - public - welcome, well-advertised drop-in day at Mytholmroyd Church Hall, advertised as widely in Calderdale etc as possible, so lots of people can come to a one-stop-shop to find out more about Ubuntu and the benefits herein:)
Furthermore a small table-stall-thing in the foyer of Calderdale College (Halifax) is now looking possible, obviously on a different day, but we can link it to the main event...
Also of interest would be the possibility of gaining the attention of banking giants HBOS, who happen to be 'based' (mostly) in Halifax and Copley...
I know for a fact that they are currently using MS Windows XP on all their systems, including ATMs. It has minor crashes very often, and sometimes more major crashes :rolleyes:
So what do you think?
PS, is anyone else in the area interested?

stoodleysnow
November 28th, 2007, 12:40 AM
bumps

stoodleysnow
November 30th, 2007, 03:18 PM
BUMP...:popcorn:

stoodleysnow
December 1st, 2007, 11:34 PM
BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP!!!!
:arrow::arrow::arrow:

rowanparker
December 1st, 2007, 11:58 PM
Stop with the bumps man.
I live in Cononley (in between Keighley and Skipton).
If it's worth it and I'm free I could help.

stoodleysnow
December 2nd, 2007, 12:18 AM
OK so that makes 3 including me. *sigh* not many people around here into Ubuntu are there?:(

rowanparker
December 2nd, 2007, 12:57 AM
You should try for more Linux in general than just Ubuntu.
I'm sure there are other people out there that would like to show off their chosen distro.
Remember: Linux is Linux regardless of which distro!

stoodleysnow
March 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM
OK, just to update: this is unlikely to go ahead for a while due to changing circumstances. If/when it does, I'll do it differently and start a new thread.