PDA

View Full Version : I am finding myself rather upset at this place.

LaRoza
November 23rd, 2007, 05:03 AM
Note From PriceChild: Original thread split from here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=620716

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamebait

It was not "only a debate". Such posts result in heated arguments (no matter the opinion), and are considered flamebait. If that was not your intention, it would have been the result.

If you want a good place for long, lengthy posts, with some discussion, you should get a blog, I recommend: http://wordpress.com/ It is a great way to post your ideas.

This is an Ubuntu Support Forum, and has a Cafe and Backyard for non technical discussion. Your post had nothing to do with the forum, and was in fact flamebait.

I think I was the one (ones) that reported it.

If you want a good place for discussion, this is a very good place. However, pretend like you are talking to real people. Would you walk up to a stranger you don't know and who doesn't know you and tell them your opinion on anything?

CidBahamut
November 23rd, 2007, 05:08 AM
If that was your first post then I can't say I'm surprised they locked it.
Sad to say, but there aren't many who'd take the time to read that chunk of text.

livingflight
November 23rd, 2007, 05:10 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamebait

It was not "only a debate". Such posts result in heated arguments (no matter the opinion), and are considered flamebait. If that was not your intention, it would have been the result.

If you want a good place for long, lengthy posts, with some discussion, you should get a blog, I recommend: http://wordpress.com/ It is a great way to post your ideas.

This is an Ubuntu Support Forum, and has a Cafe and Backyard for non technical discussion. Your post had nothing to do with the forum, and was in fact flamebait.

I think I was the one (ones) that reported it.

If you want a good place for discussion, this is a very good place. However, pretend like you are talking to real people. Would you walk up to a stranger you don't know and who doesn't know you and tell them your opinion on anything?
Are you kidding me right now?

You're saying that stem cell research doesn't lead to heated arguments? How about religious talk? I've read through many threads like those throughout this forum too. Why aren't those locked? Those topics can lead to much more argument than the topic of George Bush.

Seriously. How can you not...? Urg, I've had enough. I'm not wasting my time. Goodbye.

LaRoza
November 23rd, 2007, 05:10 AM
Sad to say, but there aren't many who'd take the time to read that chunk of text.

Don't be sad.

This an internet forum, and short and well formatted text is easiest to read. The OP's first post in this thread is a little long for ease of reading.

LaRoza
November 23rd, 2007, 05:12 AM
Are you kidding me right now?

You're saying that stem cell research doesn't lead to heated arguments? How about religious talk? I've read through many threads like those throughout this forum too. Why aren't those locked? Those topics can lead to much more argument than the topic of George Bush.

Seriously. How can you not... Urg, I've had enough. I'm not wasting my time. Goodbye.

No.

They did result in heated arguments and discussion, however, they are not the first post of the OP of each thread. Many of them are mega threads (many threads merged together, like the Religious Debate).

Do you use Linux or Ubuntu?

Whiffle
November 23rd, 2007, 05:15 AM
You're looking for strong debates to a 9 page post (pasted in to OO) about dubya, on a linux forum? As your first post? On the day before thanksgiving? Goodness, people have things to do (like cooking!)! I don't come to a linux forum looking to read a bunch of stuff about the president or politics in general, I don't know why you'd look for people willing to read your diatribe here.

As far as what the staff did, I agree with them. Your first post is a 9 page diatribe about how you don't like the president. Great. That says three things:

1) you don't like the president
2) you have entirely too much time on your hands
3) you have no intention of contributing to any other part of the forum. This may not be officially required, but it doesn't speak much for you being on a linux forum to begin with.

And, for your next rant, please provide some sources for your accusations. Skimming your first post reveals zero sources, which is a very bad thing if you want people to listen. Come to think of it, that kind of kills debate possibilities. Your entire post was opinion anyway, so we may as well talk about what color socks are best.

LaRoza
November 23rd, 2007, 05:23 AM
@Whiffle

Did you write: http://ubuntucat.wordpress.com/2007/08/06/getting-the-best-help-on-linux-forums/?

Whiffle
November 23rd, 2007, 05:26 AM
@Whiffle

Did you write: http://ubuntucat.wordpress.com/2007/08/06/getting-the-best-help-on-linux-forums/?

Nope, but I think its worth linking to. I think Aisiyu (i can't remember how to spell it) wrote that.

LaRoza
November 23rd, 2007, 05:39 AM
Nope, but I think its worth linking to. I think Aisiyu (i can't remember how to spell it) wrote that.

Yes, it was very good. It will be in the link in my sig soon.

livingflight
November 23rd, 2007, 04:58 PM
You're looking for strong debates to a 9 page post (pasted in to OO) about dubya, on a linux forum? As your first post? On the day before thanksgiving? Goodness, people have things to do (like cooking!)! I don't come to a linux forum looking to read a bunch of stuff about the president or politics in general, I don't know why you'd look for people willing to read your diatribe here.

As far as what the staff did, I agree with them. Your first post is a 9 page diatribe about how you don't like the president. Great. That says three things:

1) you don't like the president
2) you have entirely too much time on your hands
3) you have no intention of contributing to any other part of the forum. This may not be officially required, but it doesn't speak much for you being on a linux forum to begin with.

And, for your next rant, please provide some sources for your accusations. Skimming your first post reveals zero sources, which is a very bad thing if you want people to listen. Come to think of it, that kind of kills debate possibilities. Your entire post was opinion anyway, so we may as well talk about what color socks are best.
I would be left by now, but I couldn't ignore what you just said.

1. I don't like the president... Yes, my post says that. Would you rather me make a post and simply say that? I'm sorry, I like to elaborate. I beg your forgiveness.

2. I've too much time on my hands... OK. Where did that come from? What does that have to do with anything? And just because I'm a new member and it's Thanksgiving I can't make a post like that? Deny it all you want, but you're saying that that was part of the reason it was locked. Well then...

3. Contributing? How would you know? That was my first post. For all you know I could be someone who was willing to be a dedicated member. Don't judge me so soon. You've no right so soon.

Differing opinions are what make a debate. Yes, of course my post was an opinion. It couldn't lead to any such discussion if it wasn't. I may have gave no factual material (I did touch on some though) but it still showed my disliking of the president.

And congratulations on comparing my post to a debate about the color of socks. That's just what I wanted to hear. I'd like to see someone write something that lengthy about colors and socks.

hikaricore
November 23rd, 2007, 05:28 PM
I don't really know what's going on here, but I'm moving this thread to the Cafe.

aimran
November 23rd, 2007, 06:50 PM
What in the hell is happening here? I believe there was a post before laroza's first post with the wikipedia link?

mellowd
November 23rd, 2007, 06:56 PM
Yeah, confused here as we seem to be missing something in the middle

ticopelp
November 23rd, 2007, 06:59 PM
There was another thread of livingflight's that was quickly closed. I think that's what this is about. I'm sure you can find it if you take a look through the Backyard. It's called "Might I have ten minutes of your time?"

Personally, I think the mods were justified in closing it.

hikaricore
November 23rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
I also believe something was removed from the thread, but I'm at work and didn't have time to go digging around for it lol. No worries everyone, this just didn't need to be in the General Help section.

toupeiro
November 23rd, 2007, 07:05 PM
To the OP:

You always have the option to click away...

PriceChild
November 23rd, 2007, 07:06 PM
I have edited the OP to explain the original post is here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=620716

I am locking this thread for evaluation.

(hikaricore see thread tools > edit thread for history)

PriceChild
November 23rd, 2007, 07:14 PM
The original post was closed for flamebait.
Whilst scanning the text I noticed a lot of it... and at the
While it's true that the drivel emanating freely from George's mouth gives me cause to reach for the nearest vomit pail point, I decided as it was the users first post that I would lock the thread.

This decision has then been backed up by an admin in the Resolution Center: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=620716

I do not believe there is any worth in keeping this thread open... especially when there does not seem to be any controversy/argument from the other forums users (bar livingflight)