PDA

View Full Version : General Ubuntu/IT Korean question

clash
November 23rd, 2007, 02:00 AM
Hey Guys,

Basically I'm a software engineer from Ireland. Recently graduated with my BSc and decided I wanted to go travel, see a bit of the world. Ended up going to Korea (Seoul) for a year teaching English.

Long story short I love it here and am thinking of staying another few years but I want to see if I can get some employment in the IT sector. Obviously I don't know if this is even possible considering I don't speak the longo yet although I have started learning.

I really don't know if anyone can give me any advice here but I really don't have another other ideas on where to go to ask.

So if anyone can point me in the right direction or anything else I'd really appreciate it :)

p.s > Probably posted this in the wrong section too ....

Paul

popch
November 23rd, 2007, 12:16 PM
Take this with a grain of salt as I don't know the first thing about Korea and English.

However, I do observe that many firms in the far east have excellent products and serve global markets. That includes but is not limited to IT products, of course.

What many of them still are lacking is a reasonably effective communication platform. Look at web sites in the far east. Even some of the great and mighty players have lackluster web sites which are difficult to navigate, where stuff is difficult to find and where translations appear to have been done by some ancient precursors to babelfish. Provided they even offer content in any western language.

You appear to be in the fortunate situation that you do not only understand IT but (human) communication as well.

Therefore, you have a very nearly unique bargaining point: You live there, demonstrate liking and respect for their culture, know how to teach Koreans without their losing face, know the culture of some of their dominant markets, know how communication is done there, know how people think there and have the technical savvy and means to implement communication platforms and other IT systems which make use of all of that.

Best of luck.