PDA

View Full Version : GNOME v.s KDE

tezzaa
November 22nd, 2007, 01:17 PM
Hi,

Just a basic question. Is the GNOME desktop supposed to be more stable than KDE and if so why?

Thanks

Terry

ubuntukerala1980
November 22nd, 2007, 01:28 PM
Check this
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=99889

:guitar:

por100pre1
November 22nd, 2007, 02:01 PM
Hi,

Just a basic question. Is the GNOME desktop supposed to be more stable than KDE and if so why?

Thanks

Terry

The best way to find out is take some time to try them yourself. If you tune them properly; any one of them will give you the performance and stability you may need. :KS:)

TidusBlade
November 22nd, 2007, 02:05 PM
I have had much better experiences with KDE though, but I suggest you use the Enviorment which most of your programs come from ;) I was using Ubuntu and over half of my applications from KDE apps so I decided to switch to Kubuntu and now I enjoy much more stability. IF your interested you can install both, but I wouldnt recommend it, I ended up screwing up my install in a minor way twice.

por100pre1
November 22nd, 2007, 02:10 PM
I have both installed and everything works fine, in fact some KDE programs work better in Gnome if you have the whole KDE stuff. However, I got to say that it is not good to have both installed if you have limited resources.

TidusBlade
November 22nd, 2007, 02:17 PM
I have good resources but I still cant figure out how to get both working with no problems at all, I always get many minor annoying problems :S

kellemes
November 22nd, 2007, 02:24 PM
I have good resources but I still cant figure out how to get both working with no problems at all, I always get many minor annoying problems :S

I always have multiple w/dm's installed without issues..
They shouldn't have to bother eachother at all.

por100pre1
November 22nd, 2007, 02:26 PM

Weird. I typically install the kde-core kde and kubuntu-desktop packages. Which problems do you experience? :-k