PDA

View Full Version : Malicious Commands ?

thirddeep
November 22nd, 2007, 11:05 AM
I was reading the malicious commands thread at the top. There was one item that I have never seen before, nor do I understand it.

Obviously I had to try it :-)

Sadly, either it does not work, or I am doing something wrong.

Here is the code :

:(){:|:};:
Of course I am doing this in a virtual image not to damage my system ....

So :

a) How is it suppose to work ?
b) Why does it not work ?

The image that I test in is RHEL 4.5, kernel 2.6.9-55-ELsmp, bash version 3.00.15(1)-release.

Thd.

smartbei
November 22nd, 2007, 11:14 AM
It is called a fork bomb. What it does is recursively spawn new processes of itself. See http://www.answers.com/topic/fork-bomb?cat=technology for more information. I myself know next to nothing about bash scripting, so I am not sure why it doesn't work. :)

The version they have there of the fork bomb posted above is:

:(){ :|:& };:

Perhaps it does work. I am not on my Ubuntu PC right now, so I can't tell.

thirddeep
November 22nd, 2007, 11:34 AM
Fork bombs I understand :-)

The code you posted works ... very good :)

Now I would love for someone to explain it to me ....

Thd.

Siph0n
November 22nd, 2007, 11:52 AM
http://www.euglug.org/pipermail/euglug/2005-August/004338.html

Ramses de Norre
November 22nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
:(){:|:};:
Of course I am doing this in a virtual image not to damage my system ....

So :

a) How is it suppose to work ?
b) Why does it not work ?

a) see post above.
b) because there must be spaces between the curly braces and the function calls, "{:|:}" -> "{ :|: }", the additional "&" you will mostly see, makes it extra nasty, it backgrounds all calls to the functions.

BTW: are you sure a VM will protect you? It'd appear to me that every process forked in the VM corresponds with one forked in your host, except when it's handled different (threads in the VM process instead of new processes or something), I'm not really into VM design :) More safe would be to set good limits in /etc/security/limits.conf, that will limit the number of processes that can be forked, I've got this in there:

* soft nproc 1024
* hard nproc 2048
and a fork bomb can't kill my system, it executes but fails after a minute or five.

thirddeep
November 22nd, 2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the link to an explanation !

Yes VMware protected my host. VMware (server) did not crash, nor did the underlying OS (Ubuntu 7.4).

Thd.