PDA

View Full Version : Question on Shipit Cds

alcedo
September 3rd, 2005, 01:32 AM
Hi people, i am wondering whether Ubuntu would keep on mailing new cds to you on a regular basis ? for example, i just received my ubuntu Cd, version 5.04. I am now thinking about future release. Would i still get future release mailed to me ? or do i have to download future releases ? Best is if i could get future releases mailed to me of course.

DJ_Max
September 3rd, 2005, 01:59 AM
Hi people, i am wondering whether Ubuntu would keep on mailing new cds to you on a regular basis ? for example, i just received my ubuntu Cd, version 5.04. I am now thinking about future release. Would i still get future release mailed to me ? or do i have to download future releases ? Best is if i could get future releases mailed to me of course.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=49905&highlight=shipit

aysiu
September 3rd, 2005, 02:01 AM
Best is if i could get future releases mailed to me of course. Why is that best? Even on dial-up a sudo apt-get dist-upgrade would take less time than the CDs...

alcedo
September 3rd, 2005, 05:06 AM
Well, i kind of felt that its the best to have them shipped over as i want to update the entire OS ? (because fedora core requires me to do so, and i can't stand the long wait of downloading 700mb worth of content) so yeah. i am knew to debian / ubuntu way of doing things though.

To summarise, apt-get would upgrade the entire OS and install new packages and over write old packages as well ?

aysiu
September 3rd, 2005, 05:13 AM
When you do an apt-get dist-upgrade, it doesn't download an entire 700 MB disk image. It just upgrades the existing OS (the kernel, etc.). I haven't done a dist-upgrade in Ubuntu, but I did one for Blag, and it took maybe about fifteen minutes over broadband internet.

I'm not sure if it updates all the old packages, but you can do that even before Breezy comes out by doing sudo apt-get update and then sudo apt-get upgrade.

"Upgrade" here upgrades your existing programs. "Dist-upgrade" upgrades the entire OS.

alcedo
September 4th, 2005, 05:23 PM
ar. ok. so i guess there really isnt a need to keep on getting new release than. apt get function should do the trick :P

alcedo
September 4th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Btw, is
sudo apt-get update is for packages updates ?
sudo apt-get upgrade is for OS updates ?

are there any apt-get functions to updates ? or is that the only 2. Thanks for the help :razz:

aysiu
September 4th, 2005, 05:29 PM
ar. ok. so i guess there really isnt a need to keep on getting new release than. apt get function should do the trick :P Before you do the apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade, you'll have to change your /etc/apt/sources.list so that all the hoary references become breezy.