PDA

View Full Version : In the interest of fair disclosure...

jimmj43
November 21st, 2007, 09:58 PM
I dunno. Maybe this has already been done, but if so, I sure can't find it. I'm talking about a single thread devoted to what WON'T work with Ubuntu. For instance, after switching to Ubuntu I learned (the hard way) that my THREE Lexmark printers had magically turned into doorstops!

I'm not a gamer, but it's a legitimate issue that could be included, as could a host of hardware and software.

I'm all for promoting Ubuntu, but in the interest of full/ fair disclosure I think it'd be useful to add some fine print: "Results may vary"

DrMega
November 21st, 2007, 10:06 PM
I dunno. Maybe this has already been done, but if so, I sure can't find it. I'm talking about a single thread devoted to what WON'T work with Ubuntu. For instance, after switching to Ubuntu I learned (the hard way) that my THREE Lexmark printers had magically turned into doorstops!

I'm not a gamer, but it's a legitimate issue that could be included, as could a host of hardware and software.

I'm all for promoting Ubuntu, but in the interest of full/ fair disclosure I think it'd be useful to add some fine print: "Results may vary"

I have the misfortunate of having a Lexmark paperweight also. But to be fair, it is crap even when I boot into Windows.

There are several Linux hardware compatibility databases all over the web. It isn't Ubuntu that's at fault 9 times out of 10, its just that the hardware manufacturers often don't write linux drivers for their hardware, or publish the spec for someone else to do it, so most drivers are developed/maintained by the "community".

stchman
November 21st, 2007, 10:24 PM

No one is keeping people from reading www.linuxprinting.org.

People blame Linux for the Lexmark printing woes. Why not put the blame on Lexmark as well? They make the printer. They don't support Linux

We as consumers can also email Lexmark and tell them that we will never buy another Lexmark product until they fully support Linux with all their printer. Tell them you will go buy an HP.

bluepowder7
November 21st, 2007, 10:28 PM
.. or a Brother, or an Epson.

Brother has even gone as far as having a dedicated Linux portion of the page, listing some drivers and a FAQ. i think that's REALLY cool of them, and if they would only extend their support into BSD, then they'd be a HUGE contender for my pending printer purchase. (i can't see how it would be THAT difficult, since they support Mac OS-X which is based on BSD anyways, at least partly)

dpar
November 21st, 2007, 10:30 PM
I think it would be a pretty huge job for ANY os to be compatable with ALL hardware and software. Personally, I think that is up to the hardware/software developers to make their product compatable with the 'mainstream' OS's.The 'mainstream' OS's, at this time, would probably include Windows,Linux,Mac.

aysiu
November 21st, 2007, 10:32 PM
I think the best fair disclosure is people not hyping up Ubuntu too much.

I tried my best to be fair here:
Is Ubuntu for You? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=63315)

You can also find more info here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport

jimmj43
November 22nd, 2007, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the input.

Please note that I TRIED to avoid "placing blame" for conditions that exist. I understand full well that Lexmark isn't exactly falling all over themselves to provide driver support. "Blame" isn't the issue I wanted to highlight. Rather, just what DOESN'T work. WHY whatever doesn't work might be a side bonus though.

Daveski
November 22nd, 2007, 01:34 AM
For instance, after switching to Ubuntu I learned (the hard way) that my THREE Lexmark printers had magically turned into doorstops!

It should always be recommended that people considering Ubuntu try their hardware with the LiveCD - this way they can see what might be a potential problem before committing to an install.

kopinux
November 22nd, 2007, 02:23 AM
why do you have 3 Lexmark printers?

Scruffynerf
November 22nd, 2007, 02:35 AM
He needed the doorstops.

stchman
November 22nd, 2007, 09:02 AM

I have 4 HP printers. They all work with Linux.