PDA

View Full Version : Ever have this problem?

blithen
November 21st, 2007, 09:33 PM
You turn in an assignment and get marked down for not showing your work?
What's the point? Isn't that what a test is for? I did it in my head, big whoop. I got the right answer it shouldn't matter which way I get it. Unless it's the wrong way then that will be sorted out once I have a test.

-grubby
November 21st, 2007, 09:35 PM
I think they'd want to see how you did it so they can tell you what you did wrong

blithen
November 21st, 2007, 09:40 PM
I know but like I said isn't that what a test is for? Meh I guess I'm a little steamed.

DrMega
November 21st, 2007, 09:41 PM
I once did an assignment, finished it in two days, then went to help a freind who was struggling and hadn't really made a start. I help him, which meant our projects looked similar. He got a B and I got a D, because apparently the lecturer could tell that I'd copied my freind but couldn't prove it.

corney91
November 21st, 2007, 09:42 PM
Used to happen all the time for me - now the questions are hard:(

Was it a simple question or one which is meant to take a lot of working?
Generally you get marked down on long ones

p_quarles
November 21st, 2007, 09:44 PM
I know but like I said isn't that what a test is for? Meh I guess I'm a little steamed.
High school math isn't really about the answers, though, it's about using the correct methods of getting the answers. Think of it this way: if the problem is 4x4, you can get the answer two ways
1) Adding up four fours
2) Knowing your multiplication tables

That holds true for just about any math problem. There's an efficient way, and an inefficient way. You have to learn the efficient way (and prove you've learned it) because with higher level problems it would take you ages to use the inefficient ways.

Incense
November 21st, 2007, 09:46 PM
Yes this has happened to me. Then I started showing my work, and everything was fixed. Not a big deal IMO. If you can do it in your head, then you can do it on paper right?