PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Ubuntu USB Stick Ideas

klange
November 21st, 2007, 03:44 AM
I'm working on making the "ultimate Ubuntu USB stick" - a USB stick for use in any system including as many extra drivers and programs as I can get on it.
The USB stick I'm using as a base is 2gb and has Ubuntu installed as per the tutorial on PendriveLinux.com. I'm booting it using a Grub floppy disk (because my desktop's Bios won't boot to the USB stick directly...)
Anyway, I'm already working on getting all the drivers for my desktop (ATI drivers for my x800, Broadcom network drivers offline installer is on the stick, and that's about it) - but I'm looking for ideas on how to make this truly the "ultimate Ubuntu USB stick". I want all the greatest things from the most efficient to the best looking - anything that can fit inside of the 2gb disk.

So I'm looking for ideas in the following categories:
1. Productivity
2. Efficiency (I may put FluxBox or XFCE along side Gnome)
3. Eye Candy (already have Compiz - this is 7.10)
4. Just Plain Cool

adam.tropics
November 21st, 2007, 06:22 AM
I quite liked the idea of a multiple flavour install usb stick. So pretty much a live cd (usb stick) with a grub menu of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu...and any others you can get on there....each with live install environment, and each able to run persistent.

smartboyathome
November 21st, 2007, 06:36 AM
Enlightenment fulfils all your categories (even Eyecandy!). Anyway, try remastering a Command line install with all your apps+enlightenment on it (using something like remastersys), and then burn+boot that up to get the best distro you have used (trust me, it rocks!).

klange
November 21st, 2007, 03:25 PM
I'll look into all of these install options, right now I'm trying to fix Compiz (Stupid texture_from_pixmap... Have to find a way to revert to the setup I had when I finally got X running, probably uninstall the ATI drivers see if that helps later...)