PDA

View Full Version : Which would you prefer for Ubuntu default - Evolution of Thunderbird?

itsjustarumour
November 20th, 2007, 11:57 PM
If given the choice, which of these two email applications would you prefer to be the default email app in Ubuntu - Evolution or Thunderbird?

There seem to be pros and cons to both:

Evolution - currently the default - has Exchange integration, is GTK-based and integrates well with GNOME apps and themes. However, many users complain of slow development and bug fixing which is often blamed on a lack of community support and involvement.

Thunderbird - not GTK and doesn't theme as well with GNOME apps, but more plugins, better use of wizards and better community support. And can now be integrated with Exchange too - see http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/03/30/howto-thunderbird-and-ms-exchange-server/

OK - this is just one guy's choice, but I'm voting for Thunderbird!

Cheers to all,

itsjustarumour :guitar:

jken146
November 21st, 2007, 12:00 AM
Evolution, maily because it does what I need (exchange). I also quite like its simple intuitive interface.

rfruth
November 21st, 2007, 12:04 AM
Wish Thunderbird was the default like it is for Mint :)

67comet
November 21st, 2007, 02:00 AM
Is there a good way to remove Evolution? I used to use it, but since finding T-birt portable it moves from OS to OS easier.

I've tried to use aptitude to remove Evolution but it didn't like that much at all.!

Zill
November 21st, 2007, 01:31 PM
The question is not logical - it is comparing apples and oranges!

Evolution is a PIM (Personal Information Manager) incorporating email, contacts, calendar, memos and tasks.
Thunderbird is just an (albeit good!) email client.

The great beauty of Linux is that you can easily install whatever works for you. Some are happy with just email, others want a full PIM.

The way forward seems, in my view, to integrate Thunderbird more closely with Gnome and KDE, giving each user a real choice. Ironing out the bugs in Evolution would help as well ;-)

Thyme
November 21st, 2007, 02:47 PM
Evolution.

wyth
November 21st, 2007, 06:16 PM

Evolution is a PIM (Personal Information Manager) incorporating email, contacts, calendar, memos and tasks.

Yep. And both are undergoing some significant changes, what with Thunderbird being cut off from Mozilla and greater integration on the way with Evolution. I wouldn't be able to actually judge them against each other until that dust settles.

ianare
November 21st, 2007, 06:24 PM
Thunderbird by default. It's much easier to remove TB than evolution.

itsjustarumour
November 21st, 2007, 10:12 PM

The great beauty of Linux is that you can easily install whatever works for you. Some are happy with just email, others want a full PIM.

The way forward seems, in my view, to integrate Thunderbird more closely with Gnome and KDE, giving each user a real choice. Ironing out the bugs in Evolution would help as well ;-)

I agree with you when you say that Evolution and Thunderbird are like apples and oranges. However, I'm not suggesting that Evolution be taken away, rather that better support/integration of Thunderbird in Ubuntu/GNOME be added to make it the "official" Ubuntu email client. Ubuntu seems to put all its development efforts into one email app - Evolution - and if this poll shows that most people prefer to use Thunderbird, then perhaps this will support an argument that more official effort needs to be put into an integrated standalone client as well. The desirability of having 2 separate apps is well-acknowledged after all:

- KDE has a PIM (Kontact) and a fully-integrated standalone email component (KMail).

- MS Windows has a PIM (Outlook) and a fully-integrated standalone email component (Outlook Express, now Windows Mail).

And Ubuntu/GNOME? It has a PIM (Evolution), and thats it. Of course Thunderbird is already available as an (excellent) standalone email client, but its not part of a default Ubuntu install and has not been integrated in any way with Ubuntu/GNOME. And "integration" is the crucial issue here.

So - going back to your final point - I think that Ubuntu/GNOME also needs a fully-integrated standalone email client for those who don't want (or need) a PIM. Personally, I'd like Thunderbird to be developed/integrated for this purpose. In a perfect world I'd even like this to be taken one step further, and see a GTK version (forking?) of Thunderbird. I know this would be a big project, but we have Firefox/Ephiphany, why not Thunderbird/Something Else?

Anyway, going back to the fruit again, perhaps my original poll question would have been better phrased like this:

"If Ubuntu only had finite resources to spend on one piece of fruit, what would you rather have - an apple or an orange?"

:-)

Zill
November 21st, 2007, 10:25 PM
And Ubuntu/GNOME? It has a PIM (Evolution), and thats it. Of course Thunderbird is already available as an (excellent) standalone email client, but its not part of a default Ubuntu install and has not been integrated in any way with Ubuntu/GNOME. And "integration" is the crucial issue here.

I am actually quite happy with Evolution email so have not used Thunderbird for years! I assume that Thunderbird can easily be installed so what additional Gnome "integration" are we actually talking about here? What is needed?

Chrisj303
November 22nd, 2007, 12:01 AM
Whichever one works the best.

itsjustarumour
December 20th, 2007, 09:18 PM
One issue I'm curious to hear about is peoples experiences with spam filtering on Evolution and Thunderbird - I've read very mixed reviews about both.

Which do people think has the best spam filtering? And which is the best plugin to use?

timpino
December 20th, 2007, 09:51 PM
how about NONE? homeusers usually have web based e-mail systems so there is (in my most humble opinion) really no need for a default installed e-mail client