PDA

View Full Version : Cause I have no idea where else to put this...

McNee
November 20th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I've been a computer dweeb for 25 years or so, since my C-64 but just finally getting into Linux... and not sure why it's become such a hit... but I went with Ubuntu (obviously).

My original intent was to put it on an older spare box to stick in the living room and stream media off my main computer... but after just goofing around a bit with it I decided to take a look and see if I "needed" windows at home, and decided I didn't.

So this weekend I jumped in and went for it. Everyone and their dog has a blog these days, but I've been using my site to chronicle what I'm going through in installing and trying to find software that I like to replace what I was using on Windows. www.upmykilt.net if anyone is at all interested.

I still have a few issues to work out - my dual video card/monitors setup is not working. I have a new TV card I haven't been able to find any info on yet. I still want to do a second box in the living room that I can hopefully run a touch-screen monitor with, as well as clone the output to my TV for running movies and such and run either that box or my main as a DVR.

I've been reading lots of great stuff about how helpful the forums here can be, so I'm crossing my fingers that with some help I'll get this stuff figured out.

-Rob

Nano Geek
November 20th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I hope everything works for you, and welcome to the forums!

kodak
November 20th, 2007, 06:47 PM
The thing i noticed about changing from ms was,

Linux takes time to set up and to get everything running as you intended, but once that is done it's virtually maintenance free and secure.

XP/Vista takes 3 minutes to set up but takes a lifetime of keeping it maintained and secure.

McNee
November 20th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Wow, quick replies. Kewl.
Yea, I wrote a bit more about this on my site now... I think the biggest hurdle, like in many aspects of life, it's getting past the "I'm used to doing it this way..." factor.

I'm dealing with a that in OpenOffice - I admit - I had a 'borrowed' copy of MS Office for awhile on my home computer... but I went legal and removed it quite awhile ago in favor of OpenOffice - and even started using it at work as well even tho they have the license, just to help myself get used to it.. and 90% of the time I don't notice the difference anymore.

With the exploding popularity of Ubuntu and other distros, it seems the manufacturers are starting to take notice. I have found a few manf. sites with Linux help sections as I've used Google to search for different things... and I think that could be a big part of helping Linux make a significant dent in the home user market.