PDA

View Full Version : Help: need info about travelling in UK & Germany

imon9
November 20th, 2007, 02:23 PM
hi, i decided to visit London & berlin for my winter break for about 10-12 days

anyone from London, Berlin?
i need to collect some advice on place to stay, places of interest, perhaps some tips

First of all, i'm travelling with 1 fren. so, i'll need accomodation for 2. Cheapest deal would be nice, since i'm still studying :D

For UK:
anywhere is interesting in London and places near by (eg: birmingham, manchester etc)

what must i see?

where is the nice place to eat?

where is the nice place to hangout at nite (clubs)?

where do i get good deals for accomodation?

anything in particular i should be aware of? like security of stuff

For Berlin:
do i need to know a bit of german language to be able to travel there.

what is the places i must see?

where is the nice place to eat :D ?

(i'll be there for 2-3 days)

MODERATOR: plz move my entry to other categories if i posted the wrong place...

bluedragon436
November 22nd, 2007, 06:47 AM
As far as Berlin goes, having a knowledge of some German would be helpful when trying to get around, as well as getting service either for a Hotel or food. I am currently stationed at Ramstein AB, Germany and haven't gotten to Berlin as of yet, but I do know that you will want to know at least a little bit of German to make your visit a bit smoother and better.

PartisanEntity
November 22nd, 2007, 09:36 AM
If you need help with German terms let us know, I am from Austria so I can help with the language but not with any locations in Berlin.

wieman01
November 22nd, 2007, 09:42 AM
There is some stuff here:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sehensw%C3%BCrdigkeiten_in_Berlin

Looks like you'll have a decent weekend in Berlin with lots of stuff to do. Looks great!

aimran
November 22nd, 2007, 11:06 AM
I can't help you with accommodation as I haven't had the need to find hotels in london :P

For UK:
anywhere is interesting in London and places near by (eg: birmingham, manchester etc)

Brighton,one hour away by train. Nice and quaint seaside town. Seafood is not bad there. And I've heard the nightlife's good too.

what must i see?

In london: London Eye. I'm not too much of a museum/historical places kind of tourist. I tend to go for modern stuff. Oh and Tate Modern. Of course you could go to MI:6 building and pose in front of it if you choose to.

I don't suggest Madame Tussauds. :/

And of course the football stadiums in and around london.

where is the nice place to eat?

Eating in London is all about the high class restaurants. Try Nobu or Kobe Jones for awesome japanese food. Cost some money though.

I dont think there exists such a thing as authentic british cuisine :P

where is the nice place to hangout at nite (clubs)?

Ministry of Sound. Just to go there and say I've been there and done that.

If you'd like to celebrity spot, try the nightclubs around chelsea area. (y)

anything in particular i should be aware of? like security of stuff

London is a pretty safe place. Been here 4 years. If you're out late nights and want a cab home, don't go with unregistered cabs. Either get registered black cabs or go with cab companies. I suggest the latter as they charge a flat rate of £15 anywhere.

Yeah London is a pretty expensive place, and one of those cities you need to be in for sometime before you enjoy it. Doubt you'll like London =)

PetePete
November 22nd, 2007, 11:39 AM
i used to live near london, good tip is that lots of the museums are free entrance, science museum, natural history, .. some others.. and they are really good, not your typical boring museums.

went to Berlin in the summer, you dont need to know german, maybe simple phrases like 'one, two three' and please/thankyou are nice. but theres a free guided tour around Berlin showing off all the history to do with WW2 and communism etc , can't remember what its called but its quite well promoted, just ask people about the free tours and they will know what you are talking about.. ...... ps. berlin is MUCH MUCH cheaper than london... london ==v. expensive.

security wise just take normal precautions, neither city is a hell hole, but make sure you dont get pick pocketed and dont walk down dark streets etc

Zimmer
November 22nd, 2007, 01:21 PM
http://www.yha.org.uk/about-yha/
Also may be of use outside UK.

Stayed at the Holland Park Hostel years ago with the kids

imon9
November 22nd, 2007, 02:18 PM
wow, u guys are great :) thanks for the info so far... keep them coming :D

i will definately try pick up some German phrases for now... :p

what's seems nice on the list:
(1) ministry of sound (hahah..going with a friend who likes clubbing)
(2) MI6? what is that?
(3) brigton, i will go vist
(4) football stadium ? though i am not a big football fan... i shall go see anyway.Anyone mind telling me which one is more famous and a-must go ?
(5) from another forum, they suggested me to buy the weekly tube for transportation need
(6) i might wanna visit some museum, any particular ones that is special?
(7) oh ya, where is the place to take nice photos :D ? landmarks i mean
(8) eye of london
(9) big ben??
(10)Regent Street,
(11) Buckingham Palace
(12) Westminster Abbey
(13) City Hall
(14) Houses of Parliament

will be looking into YHA, thanks :)

Berlin:
(1) cool, i didnt know the meseum has free tour
(2) i check the englihs wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin and pick a few that look nice. however, i'll be there in winter, does it snows there?

coz i am now at moscow, and everything looked white in winter...so maybe some place will only be nice to go at other season?

here is my pick for berlin:
(a) The Brandenburg Gate
(b) The Reichstag building
(c) Berliner Dom
(d) Französischer Dom
(e) Museum Island
(f) Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra

anything i missed out that is important?

mellowd
November 22nd, 2007, 02:36 PM
Bring a raincoat

mellowd
November 22nd, 2007, 02:41 PM
wow, u guys are great :)
(1) ministry of sound (hahah..going with a friend who likes clubbing)
(2) MI6? what is that?
(3) brigton, i will go vist
(4) football stadium ? though i am not a big football fan... i shall go see anyway.Anyone mind telling me which one is more famous and a-must go ?
(5) from another forum, they suggested me to buy the weekly tube for transportation need
(6) i might wanna visit some museum, any particular ones that is special?
(7) oh ya, where is the place to take nice photos :D ? landmarks i mean
(8) eye of london
(9) big ben??
(10)Regent Street,
(11) Buckingham Palace
(12) Westminster Abbey
(13) City Hall
(14) Houses of Parliament

1. There are better clubs than ministry. Try Turnmills of you like that kind of club music.
2. Ever heard of James bond? :)
3. never been, but its winter.
4. There are loads of stadiums in London. Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham and more. If you only want to visit the more famous ones stick with the first 2.
5. get an oyster card, load it with zones 1 to 3 at least. £27.50 is current price. You can travel on any transport except cabs within zones 1 - 3 however many times you like.
6. science museum kicks ***.
7. london eye, the palace, the people, the tube, the thames, big ben, the list is endless.
8. as above, London eye is the name though. Go on it if you get the chance. The queues look long but they move quickly.
9 as above.
10. If you want to shop
11. A bit boring to be honest. A big grey building under a grey sky.
12. nice for pics
13. as above
14. as above

popch
November 22nd, 2007, 02:55 PM
here is my pick for berlin:

anything i missed out that is important?

The Rundfunkturm (Radio broadcasting tower). Plan for ample waiting time. The view is worth it. It's within walking distance of the Museum Island, for instance.