PDA

View Full Version : can't connect modem hangs up

rocket.7777
November 20th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Hi I'm new to Ubuntu I have the exact same problem with connecting to the internet as EmilyRose had 3 weeks ago but there was no reply in that thread relating to her first problem (??) Having read loads of stuff and not really understood it, I think I have to edit some files that I'm unable to view? I'm using GnomePPP and thought that correctly entering the required feilds would've sufficed. The Zoom 56K V.92/V90 modem for linux dials out, connects but has a problem authenticating and hangs up. What am I doing wrong? any help is greatly appreciated.

mngsailing
February 7th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Windows can't find my modem

Ubuntu can't find my modem

Ubuntu can't find scanmodem

WHo/what can find my modem?

ellis rowell
February 7th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Hi I'm new to Ubuntu I have the exact same problem with connecting to the internet as EmilyRose had 3 weeks ago but there was no reply in that thread relating to her first problem (??) Having read loads of stuff and not really understood it, I think I have to edit some files that I'm unable to view? I'm using GnomePPP and thought that correctly entering the required feilds would've sufficed. The Zoom 56K V.92/V90 modem for linux dials out, connects but has a problem authenticating and hangs up. What am I doing wrong? any help is greatly appreciated.

56K modem, I take it that you do not have Broad Band then?
Have you set-up the modem with the information given you by your ISP?

I use a wireless router (Broad Band), and that requires a different set-up. firstly to get it working I have to connect with an Ethernet cable to access the set-up page. Then enter the ISP info. and from then on it works automatically, it logs on when it is switched on.

mngsailing
February 7th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Dear Rocket
Authentication usually comes from your ISP site not seeing your password correctly.
You should try first the account password, not your email password.
If that doesn't clear it, then you would have to change the type of authentication the connection is using.

ModelM
February 8th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Have a look at this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1056659). Don't worry if your modem is not the same, just follow the instructions.

ugm6hr
February 8th, 2009, 08:58 AM
This thread is over 1 year old, from a user who has not visited since Nov 2007.