PDA

View Full Version : [C++]Another fstream question...

SledgeHammer_999
November 20th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I have a problem. When I use this code:

s = "//home//<username>//dd.txt";
settings.open(s.c_str(), std::ios::out);
if (settings.is_open()) settings << "works";

But if I use this, it doesn't work:

s = "//home//<username>//<new folder>//dd.txt";
settings.open(s.c_str(), std::ios::out);
if (settings.is_open()) settings << "works";

The difference is that I am trying to create the txt file in a new folder. I was hoping that fstream will automatically create the new folder but it doesn't. Can you tell me how do I create a new folder?

thank you in advance

smartbei
November 20th, 2007, 11:42 AM
You can use the mkdir() function found in the header direct.h. This will only work for linux though. For windows you will need the WinAPI function CreateDirectory()

include <direct.h>

int main ()
{
mkdir("<your directory>");
return 0;
}

See http://www.warpspeed.com.au/cgi-bin/inf2html.cmd?..\html\book\IBMVACPP\CPPLIB.INF+1105 for reference on that function.

SledgeHammer_999
November 20th, 2007, 11:51 AM
thanks. I was hoping for something portable. Well, since I can't avoid it, I'll use the wxWidgets functions to do I/O.

smartbei
November 20th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Well, there is the boost function create_directory which is portable - that is if you want to use boost.

aks44
November 20th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Well, there is the boost function create_directory which is portable - that is if you want to use boost.

+1

Anyway if you don't want to use boost, that's probably because you don't know it yet... :p

SledgeHammer_999
November 21st, 2007, 12:17 AM
+1

Anyway if you don't want to use boost, that's probably because you don't know it yet... :p

Well, no. I am already using wxwidgets for the gui in my app, so I will use the wxwidgets functions.

thanks for your posts.