PDA

View Full Version : Best of XFCE and GNOME together

thewump
November 20th, 2007, 05:28 AM
I'm a big XFCE fan for the lightness, but switched to Gnome after upgrading to 7.10. Getting tired of Gnome-slow though I switched back and missed two things, big time:

1) gnome-panel drag and drop to awn
2) gnome keyboard mapping really great ( for Microsoft Ergo 4000 keyboard )

I was very surprised to find that all I have to do is login to xfce then run a script:

killall xfce-mcs-manager
gnome-settings-daemon &
gnome-panel &

and I have XFCE speed and gnome panel and settings goodness.

LIKE IT.. Highly recommended.

Keith

igknighted
November 20th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Plus you can get true transparencies and run apps like avant-window-navigator that require a composite manager without the need for compiz.

capink
November 20th, 2007, 02:20 PM
One of the beauties of xfce is that it is more modular than other Desktop Environments. You can easily change individual core components of the your desktop environment like panels or window managers. Take a look here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2026930&postcount=70).

ice60
November 20th, 2007, 04:00 PM
you can use the gnome panel applets in the xfce panel, you just have to add that xfce applet then select the gnome applet you want. i'm using a livecd atm so i don't have the name :|

dnns123
November 20th, 2007, 04:14 PM
what i like about xfce is that you can open a terminal from a certain folder and the location in terminal is already placed in it. like
Ubuntu@Ubuntu:/media/Harddrive/Folder1/Folder2$
I think that is cool and efficient.

I'm thinking of taking your advice now, haha

thewump
November 20th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Oh - and of course Thunar is the the best hands down!

I used to get hung up by the limitation of no built in network support, but since then I've started using sshfs for EVERYTHING, even local shares, so that's a problem of the past.

Keith

ice60
November 20th, 2007, 04:29 PM
what i like about xfce is that you can open a terminal from a certain folder and the location in terminal is already placed in it. like
Ubuntu@Ubuntu:/media/Harddrive/Folder1/Folder2$
I think that is cool and efficient.

I'm thinking of taking your advice now, haha

there's a package called nautilus-open-terminal that can open the terminal in the directory you're in. there are a few nautilus scripts that do it too, you can use one with the program nautilus-actions to add right-click options in gnome.

epimer
November 20th, 2007, 05:08 PM
...and Konqueror has it has a toolbar button by default, too :)

igknighted
November 20th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

lol, +1. I had to look up mingit, but I had a feeling thats what it was judging by the rest.

tehkain
November 20th, 2007, 06:28 PM
You could always just drag from usr/share/applications to awn. Also i prefer the xfce setting system, but hey this is why free software is great.