PDA

View Full Version : Kansas Ubuntu Day

kah00na
November 20th, 2007, 03:23 AM
I think we should have some sort of Kansas Ubuntu Day. Perhaps we could get a table setup some where with a laptop running Gutsy and hand out OS CDs. What does everyone else think of this? Any specific ideas on what we specifically could do?

pregister
February 26th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Sounds like a great idea,where would this be in Kansas?
Pregister
Hoisington KS.
love my Ubuntu !

hlygrail
February 27th, 2008, 02:55 AM
I'll be game for that if it's close to Wichita.

sd401k
August 29th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Just let me know what I can do to help. I'm in the Wichita area and I think this is a fantastic idea. Sorry I'm so late but I just joined the forums last night. If you're still interested in doing this just let me know how I can help.

jstokes
May 7th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I think this is a Great Idea.
I know this post was last year.
Ubuntu has came along way from last year :)
I feel that is ready for general public to use.
and it would be great to get out there and show it off.

This should be a team thing.
we should set a date.. get freinds and family involved. Set up a table and a couple of Laptops, Desktops , Nettops (easy and cheap to build your own), or what ever at a busy spot in your home town. (mine would be Wal-Mart). and just do some demos with people.

oh and the nettop can be built for under $250 - minus the monitor.
we build these as small office based backup / file servers using Ubuntu 8.04 server. and I have one at work I have 9.04 desktop on that I'm going to push to the heads as a new system for retail. sub $450 system with monitor. :) little old grandmas will love it to surf the web and get email on. :)

adastra23
May 15th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Kansas Ubuntu day :KS2009:KS

October is the release of Karmic Koala. October is right after school starts and it is hard to organize something at the colleges in that short of time for a 'release party'.
I agree that things have come a long way since last year.
JoshuaRL and Kah00na, I see you have met on here. Good deal. I am in Kansas City now and I can try to contact the free software clubs around here and also recontact Oklahoma and Missouri's locos. We are gonna give JoshuaRL a try at organizing things around here and I'm sure he will do a great job. We need to get him the passwords reset.
I have a list of people here somewhere and I will whip up an email to get some attention back to the LoCo. We might be able to bring this thing together here spring of 09. With a few projects and events we can be made 'official'.
Eric
AdAstra23
ericklemm@gmail.com

raqball
June 24th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I am in Topeka and would be more than willing to help, attend, or whatever is needed.

Thanks in advance!!

Kris

raymondh
June 25th, 2009, 03:31 AM
I'm in wichita but with some advanced scheduling, I can make it anywhere in kansas for the ubuntu day. I also have a test machine I can bring to set-up for public use.