PDA

View Full Version : Vote for the new KernelCheck logo here!

master_kernel
November 13th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Vote Today

Earlier today, the voting and submission threads for this logo contest were merged by one of the mods, therefore discussion on voting starts on page 7/8. Here you can vote for multiple submissions for the KernelCheck logo. You can view the submissions here: http://kcheck.sourceforge.net/images/contestsubmissions/.

Please do not criticize any of the submissions negatively. I would like to thank all the authors of the submissions for their time and effort, and also the voters for their critique and participation. This effort could not exist without any of you.

Late Submission votes (as of Tue Nov 20 15:25:46 EST 2007): 4 for Late Submission 1

So what are you waiting for? Vote now!

Flying caveman
November 13th, 2007, 08:02 AM
http://www.bubbleblowers.com/pics/75_1.gif

How about a corn cob pipe (No Kernals) on an angle so that it looks like a check mark.

master_kernel
November 13th, 2007, 08:53 PM
http://www.bubbleblowers.com/pics/75_1.gif

How about a corn cob pipe (No Kernals) on an angle so that it looks like a check mark.
lol good thinking, but I don't want to go too far with it. Just a simple checkmark would be fine.

smartboyathome
November 14th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Here is one I made. Easy to tell what it is at small sizes and is an svg, too!

NOTE: The fade looks off-center, but in inkscape it looks fine.

-grubby
November 14th, 2007, 03:18 AM
why does it have to be in *.svg format?

smartboyathome
November 14th, 2007, 03:20 AM
why does it have to be in *.svg format?

Because you can resize SVGs without them loosing quality, you can't do this with raster formats (pngs, jpgs, gifs, etc).

-grubby
November 14th, 2007, 03:23 AM
Because you can resize SVGs without them loosing quality, you can't do this with raster formats (pngs, jpgs, gifs, etc).

OK.

-grubby
November 14th, 2007, 03:24 AM
sorry this isn't in SVG format, but does this look good? I will redo it somehow in SVG format if needed

master_kernel
November 14th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Here is one I made. Easy to tell what it is at small sizes and is an svg, too!

NOTE: The fade looks off-center, but in inkscape it looks fine.
This is great! I'm horrible with graphics programs. One thing I may suggest is adding a circle with a glossy fill around the logo. By the glossy fill I mean something like this: http://desktop-linux.org/forum/templates/webmasterbucket/images/logo.png

Thanks again for this great work!
master_kernel

master_kernel
November 14th, 2007, 09:00 PM
sorry this isn't in SVG format, but does this look good? I will redo it somehow in SVG format if needed
This is good, but the X seems to conflict with the checkmark. Try putting the checkmark in place of the X and just isolate that part. This also seems like a good candidate.

Thanks for your work,
master_kernel

blithen
November 14th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I have my two submissions on the attachments. All I did was re-do the font to make it a little more full in one. But it made it kinda like a kid did it. So whatever you want.

ericesque
November 14th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Not that I'm looking for a prize in order to help out, but contests usually are associated with prizes. If I win, do I get a prize? Like maybe a free copy of the software!?! ;)

master_kernel
November 14th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Not that I'm looking for a prize in order to help out, but contests usually are associated with prizes. If I win, do I get a prize? Like maybe a free copy of the software!?! ;)
Lol! Sure, whatever you want. I can make a customized version of the program with your name on it!

If you can think of a good (free) prize, just name it!

master_kernel

master_kernel
November 14th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I have my two submissions on the attachments. All I did was re-do the font to make it a little more full in one. But it made it kinda like a kid did it. So whatever you want.
These are great! You've made candidate #3!

Suggestions: Post an attachment of this in svg format
Maybe post one with text (I like the full one) and one without

Thanks for your work,
master_kernel

-grubby
November 14th, 2007, 11:30 PM
This is good, but the X seems to conflict with the checkmark. Try putting the checkmark in place of the X and just isolate that part. This also seems like a good candidate.

Thanks for your work,
master_kernel

i'll fix that. Sorry it took me so long to respond I still have the mess to clean up from messing up an installation

-grubby
November 14th, 2007, 11:58 PM
OK fixed. But still not in *.svg format sorry.

smartboyathome
November 15th, 2007, 12:05 AM
This is great! I'm horrible with graphics programs. One thing I may suggest is adding a circle with a glossy fill around the logo. By the glossy fill I mean something like this: http://desktop-linux.org/forum/templates/webmasterbucket/images/logo.png

Thanks again for this great work!
master_kernel

Here is submission #2. This one has the sphere like you suggested. Tell me what you think! :)

Also, do you want one with an X? I could make it too (I was thinking of substituting red for the green with the x).

master_kernel
November 15th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Here is submission #2. This one has the sphere like you suggested. Tell me what you think! :)

Also, do you want one with an X? I could make it too (I was thinking of substituting red for the green with the x).
Hmm... looks like you forgot to attach the file. Maybe I'm just going crazy.

master_kernel
November 15th, 2007, 12:21 AM
OK fixed. But still not in *.svg format sorry.
This is a good base; I like the color scheme: green/blue/black

I like blithen's use of the caligraphy pen; just a suggestion for the checkmark. If you can crop the whole thing in a circle to center around the checkmark (showing the blue, black, and green), that would be great.

Great work!
master_kernel

-grubby
November 15th, 2007, 12:49 AM
what do you think of this?Oh also, I'm using Kolourpaint to draw this

-grubby
November 15th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Here's one I give credit to my little sister (I can't figure out gimp)

smartboyathome
November 15th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Oops, here is the file.

thomashauk
November 15th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Here's something I whipped up in half an hour.

master_kernel
November 15th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Here's one I give credit to my little sister (I can't figure out gimp)
This one's beautiful! Tell your little sister she's a good artist!

lol GIMP is a little more powerful than kolourpaint :)

master_kernel
November 15th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Here's something I whipped up in half an hour.
This is also great work! You're definitely up there for candidate 4.

Once I have about 5-10 candidates, I'll post a separate voting thread. There, all the members of the community can vote on which one should be the new logo.

Thank you all for your work!
master_kernel

master_kernel
November 15th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Oops, here is the file.
This is simply fantastic. The only thing I can think of changing if making the green overlaying the blue just a bit lighter. I think I'll take you up on that red X. Maybe I can use it for a beta version of KernelCheck or something.

Amazing work!
master_kernel

smartboyathome
November 15th, 2007, 05:57 AM
This is simply fantastic. The only thing I can think of changing if making the green overlaying the blue just a bit lighter. I think I'll take you up on that red X. Maybe I can use it for a beta version of KernelCheck or something.

Amazing work!
master_kernel

Well, I got the check lighter, hope you like it! Also, I got a first version of the KernelCheck Beta logo done (the one with the X). It is the second attached.

SunnyRabbiera
November 15th, 2007, 07:35 AM
well for fun here is a conceptual one I have, this is a very basic idea of putting the check mark inside the k in the KC logo that I have seen others use here.
people are granted to use my basic concept if they please as I am not all that good at this, but I do have concepts though -.-;;

smartboyathome
November 15th, 2007, 04:00 PM
You linked the KC logo in your SVG, Rabbiera, so no one else can see it. Just thought I would let you know. :)

graabein
November 15th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Off topic: How do I display SVG-files in Firefox? I'm regrettably on Windows XP :-(

aaaantoine
November 15th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Hmm, I'll bite. See attached.

thomashauk
November 15th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Off topic: How do I display SVG-files in Firefox? I'm regrettably on Windows XP :-(
Your best off downloading inkscape and viewing them in there, all of these are made in it so they should work.

master_kernel
November 15th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Well, I got the check lighter, hope you like it! Also, I got a first version of the KernelCheck Beta logo done (the one with the X). It is the second attached.
Seems like the beta one is corrupted, but I really like the new version of the original!

master_kernel

master_kernel
November 15th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Hmm, I'll bite. See attached.
This is beautiful! I really like the glossy sphere and the 1010101... in the background!

Excellent work!
master_kernel

master_kernel
November 15th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I have uploaded the current submissions. They can be viewed at http://kcheck.sourceforge.net/images/contestsubmissons/

-grubby
November 15th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I have uploaded the current submissions. They can be viewed at http://kcheck.sourceforge.net/images/contestsubmissons/

how come mine isn't there? Oh wait, only SVG format I'll fix that. Wait! where am I supposed to get an SVG graphics editor?

SunnyRabbiera
November 15th, 2007, 09:52 PM
You linked the KC logo in your SVG, Rabbiera, so no one else can see it. Just thought I would let you know. :)

okay, well I re uploaded it so hopefully this will work now.

master_kernel
November 15th, 2007, 10:03 PM
how come mine isn't there? Oh wait, only SVG format I'll fix that. Wait! where am I supposed to get an SVG graphics editor?
Inkscape. If you use Ubuntu, just open a terminal and type sudo apt-get install inkscape.

master_kernel
November 15th, 2007, 10:05 PM
okay, well I re uploaded it so hopefully this will work now.
Where did you upload the file to?

-grubby
November 15th, 2007, 10:22 PM
here it is in *.svg format. I will be posting the other one in a minute

-grubby
November 15th, 2007, 10:25 PM
here's the other one

master_kernel
November 15th, 2007, 10:27 PM
here's the other one
Empty files.........

SunnyRabbiera
November 15th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Where did you upload the file to?

I uploaded the file directly... using the normal way you upload things on here...
maybe I have to edit mine or something.

master_kernel
November 15th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Test to see if I can upload an svg file...

Tell me if you can't see the file.

-grubby
November 15th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Test to see if I can upload an svg file...

Tell me if you can't see the file.

I can see it just fine. Should I upload mine again?

What's China got to do with it? Singapore is a Republic. WTF? how did that get posted

-grubby
November 15th, 2007, 10:57 PM
apparently the logos aren't working for Master_Kernel so I'll reupload them. If that doesn't work I'll upload them to a file sharing site

smartboyathome
November 15th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Seems like the beta one is corrupted, but I really like the new version of the original!

master_kernel

Ok, here it is again. :)

smartboyathome
November 15th, 2007, 11:02 PM
apparently the logos aren't working for Master_Kernel so I'll reupload them. If that doesn't work I'll upload them to a file sharing site

That doesn't work. Again, the image is linked. You can't just paste your bitmap into inkscape and call it an SVG (it doesn't resize smoothly still). You will have to use the trace bitmap function (located in Path > Trace Bitmap).

-grubby
November 15th, 2007, 11:04 PM
That doesn't work. Again, the image is linked. You can't just paste your bitmap into inkscape and call it an SVG (it doesn't resize smoothly still). You will have to use the trace bitmap function (located in Path > Trace Bitmap).

but they're png images

-grubby
November 15th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I did what you said for this image I'm uploading now
EDIT: uploading the other one, but it looks crappy

smartboyathome
November 16th, 2007, 12:51 AM
thats good. They will look a little funny if you don't make them with inkscape.

aaaantoine
November 16th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Dirk.R.Gently made some changes to my original submission. I will now post his version.

KhaaL
November 16th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Dirk.R.Gently made some changes to my original submission. I will now post his version.

I definatly liked this one best :)

aaaantoine
November 16th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I've also made some modifications to my own design, mainly to make the gloss effects more subtle.

graabein
November 18th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Your best off downloading inkscape and viewing them in there, all of these are made in it so they should work.

Yeah I guess I could do that but SVG is an open format (right?) and should be available for preview in the browser I think... Too much work to install yet another program, download the files and preview them in another application...

I googled it and here's (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/svg/) what I found.

master_kernel
November 19th, 2007, 01:45 AM
cutoff For Submissions Is Here.

smartboyathome
November 19th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Ok, so where are you posting the next thread for voting on the logo? :D

master_kernel
November 19th, 2007, 10:07 PM
VOTE HERE TODAY

So, I've got your attention. You thought this was a thread for voting for the new Ubuntu logo. Well, you were wrong. This is the thread for voting for the new KernelCheck (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=556726) logo. So, how do you vote? Well, all you have to do is look at the submissions and vote. Where are the submissions? You can view them right here: http://kcheck.sourceforge.net/images/contestsubmissions/. Please do not criticize any of the submissions negatively.

I would like to thank all the people who have submitted logos. Your time and effort is appreciated. The winning logo will get the credit it deserves.

So, what are you waiting for? Vote now!

:popcorn:

master_kernel
November 19th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Vote here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=617680

The poll will close on Monday, November 26 at 4:12 P.M. EST.

Good Luck!
master_kernel

BLTicklemonster
November 19th, 2007, 10:21 PM
I can't vote, my submission isn't there. :)

Polygon
November 19th, 2007, 10:25 PM
is submission #5 a serious submission?

and also, i voted for number six. but i would prefer it if the check mark was in the same style as Submission 4 #2

n3tfury
November 19th, 2007, 10:29 PM

i was wondering the same thing. pretty bad. i voted for aaantoine #1

Nano Geek
November 19th, 2007, 10:32 PM
What ever the icon is, it really should follow the Tango-style guidelines. Or else it will look bad against any other icon.

DeadSuperHero
November 19th, 2007, 10:45 PM
What? No corn cobs?
I am disgusted.

master_kernel
November 19th, 2007, 10:47 PM
:lolflag:

That was really creative, but I didn't think it would contrast right.

Kingsley
November 19th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I voted for aaaantoine's first image.

master_kernel
November 19th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Looks like it's going to be a tight race.

Submission 4 #2 and Submission 6

Lostincyberspace
November 19th, 2007, 11:27 PM
I liked all. :lol:

master_kernel
November 20th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Looks like 6 is pulling ahead.

Frak
November 20th, 2007, 12:37 AM
#4-2 and #6

-grubby
November 20th, 2007, 12:46 AM

and also, i voted for number six. but i would prefer it if the check mark was in the same style as Submission 4 #2

what's wrong with having a simple square with a checkmark in it? Besides, I can't use graphics programs very well

master_kernel
November 20th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Whoa -- combined thread.

-grubby
November 20th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Whoa -- combined thread.

just edit your first post to say something like
discussion on voting starts on page 7

Nano Geek
November 20th, 2007, 01:25 AM
I know this is late, but what do you think about this?

Polygon
November 20th, 2007, 02:31 AM
the concept is fine, but voting on a logo that looked like it was made in 5 seconds using ms paint is kinda bad. What asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33 posted however is good.

master_kernel
November 20th, 2007, 02:37 AM
I know this is late, but what do you think about this?
Added to late submissions. Directions for voting for late submissions are on the website.

master_kernel
November 20th, 2007, 03:06 AM
ANNOUNCEMENT: Some of my threads have been merged to save forum space. Unfortunately, this has included deleting some of my HOWTO posts. I have requested a subforum, but I don't know how it will pan out. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Nano Geek
November 20th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Sorry, made a few changes to mine again.

BTW, I'm putting in my vote for my icon. 8-[

aaaantoine
November 20th, 2007, 04:38 PM
What ever the icon is, it really should follow the Tango-style guidelines. Or else it will look bad against any other icon.

Got a link?

Also,

Late Submission 1 by asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33
+1

Nano Geek
November 20th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Got a link?

Also,

+1Here you go. (http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Theme_Guidelines)

And yes, my icon doesn't follow the guidelines exactly, but I think it's fairly close and I can fix it if this is the one master_kernel wants to use.

aaaantoine
November 20th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Ah.

If Submission 4 or one of its derivatives win, I'll Tango it up. :)

master_kernel
November 20th, 2007, 09:01 PM
So far I counted 2 late votes.

+1

Now it's three :).

master_kernel
November 20th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Ah.

If Submission 4 or one of its derivatives win, I'll Tango it up. :)
Thank you for this. I think Inkscape comes with the Tango color Palette, so that should make it easier if you use it.

timpino
November 20th, 2007, 09:08 PM
late submission
+1

to bad you can't vote for it...

So I'm voting number 4.1

master_kernel
November 20th, 2007, 09:42 PM
You can vote for it, but most people will overlook it; therefore late submissions have a disadvantage.

master_kernel
November 20th, 2007, 11:48 PM
If you didn't see above, this poll will end on Monday next week.

aaaantoine
November 20th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Tangofied version of the current front runner.

master_kernel
November 26th, 2007, 02:21 AM
I guess the poll is wrapping up, the winner will be announced tomorrow.

master_kernel
November 26th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Less than 1 hour till closing.

Nano Geek
November 26th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Vote for me people! :)

master_kernel
November 26th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Poll closed, Submission 6 by Dirk.R.Gently based on Submission 4 by aaaantoine wins. I would like to thank everyone for their participation; this could not happen without you! Special thanks to aaaantoine and Dirk.R.Gently for the winning submission and the Tango-fied version. The winning entry is posted below.

aaaantoine
December 10th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I forgot to post the resized icons.

48x48: Standard icon size.

22x22: Standard small icon size. Modified stroke thickness so that it's not a mere blur at this size.

Nano Geek
December 10th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I forgot to post the resized icons.

48x48: Standard icon size.

22x22: Standard small icon size. Modified stroke thickness so that it's not a mere blur at this size.Those look very nice aaaantoine.
Good Job. :)

sloggerkhan
December 11th, 2007, 01:29 AM
ummm.... bad to do this, but I was bored.
So just for sharing.
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=52831&stc=1&d=1197332887

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=52832&stc=1&d=1197332887 http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=52833&stc=1&d=1197332887