PDA

View Full Version : OS share on my website

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 19th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Just an observation. :)

I have a website for my family genealogy documenting the family tree. I don't get a lot of visitors. I only get a few visitor per day; however, I was expecting the Linux/UNIX users to be about 1% based on what I've read about Linux share of the OS market. These are the statistics from my website:

OS Share
--------------------------
Win XP 76%
Win Vista 5%
Win ME 1%
Win 98 3%
Win 2000 5%
Mac OS X 1%
Linux UNIX 6%
Unknown 3%

Country
---------------------------------
United States 57%
Germany 16%
Philippines 11%
Canada 4%
United Kingdom 2%
France 2%
Denmark 2%
Sweden 1%
Russia 1%
Pakistan 1%
New Zealand 1%
Netherlands 1%
Malaysia 1%

chris_nava
November 19th, 2007, 10:31 PM
You likely have skewed data for client OS. Unless you are filtering out search engine spiders, the data doesn't represent a "typical" human user's workstation.

n3tfury
November 19th, 2007, 11:05 PM
You likely have skewed data for client OS. Unless you are filtering out search engine spiders, the data doesn't represent a "typical" human user's workstation.

even so, it wouldn't be much different.

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 20th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I think all statistics will be skewed to some extent.

Some of the people looking at my website are using anonymous proxy servers; therefore, all I see is the Linux based proxy server information.

About 30% of the people are browsing my website while they are at work. I can whois the IP address and find that out. I work for a Fortune 500 company that is adopting Red Hat Linux -- corporations always want to pay for software :).

Then there is the demographics of the type of person that would be interested in a genealogy website. I would have thought older individuals -- but doesn't that make Linux even more unlikely.

So cut the 6% in half. That is still more than the 1% expected. I just think there are more Linux users than many people think.

:lolflag:

burt_57
November 20th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I think all statistics will be skewed to some extent.

Some of the people looking at my website are using anonymous proxy servers; therefore, all I see is the Linux based proxy server information.

About 30% of the people are browsing my website while they are at work. I can whois the IP address and find that out. I work for a Fortune 500 company that is adopting Red Hat Linux -- corporations always want to pay for software :).

Then there is the demographics of the type of person that would be interested in a genealogy website. I would have thought older individuals -- but doesn't that make Linux even more unlikely.

So cut the 6% in half. That is still more than the 1% expected. I just think there are more Linux users than many people think.

:lolflag:

For now, :confused: