PDA

View Full Version : Web version?

onlineapps
November 19th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Just a suggestion, but is it possible that maybe FCM could produce an HTML version as well as a PDF? That way, people could read (and Digg!) individual articles as well as the whole magazine. Just a thought.

ronniet
November 20th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Just a suggestion, but is it possible that maybe FCM could produce an HTML version as well as a PDF? That way, people could read (and Digg!) individual articles as well as the whole magazine. Just a thought.

Technically speaking we already have a web version but it's not particularly nice. The /docs wiki has all previous issues of FCM on there with all the articles in wiki format but it's not exactly very pleasing on the eye and it's a bit of a nightmare to make it look pretty.

Any volunteers who want to spend ages tidying up our /docs wiki to make it pretty should contact myself/mrmonday/linuxgeekery :)

mrmonday
November 20th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Can't Scribus export to HTML? If it can, then someone could volunteer to make the code valid and make a nice CSS sheet? If not then I'll vounteer to help someone make the /docs wiki nicer :D (I'm not doing it on my own :P)

onlineapps
November 20th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Scribus won't export as far as I can tell :-(.

Maybe we could simply copy/paste into a Drupal site at /articles?

ronniet
November 21st, 2007, 12:26 AM
Scribus won't export as far as I can tell :-(.

Maybe we could simply copy/paste into a Drupal site at /articles?

That's a possibility since each team member could have their own login for the site to proof/arrange articles...

Hmmm.... *thinks*
It might even be possible in our current site which is WordPress...

But we'd need volunteers to make the pages pretty for all previous issues and to create layout on current - and future - articles (which would be hidden until the PDF is released).

Any volunteers?

onlineapps
November 21st, 2007, 03:27 PM
That's a possibility since each team member could have their own login for the site to proof/arrange articles...

Hmmm.... *thinks*
It might even be possible in our current site which is WordPress...

Yeah, I know Mashable (a site I did some free lancing for) used Wordpress. Basically, the writer would write a draft, save it (but not publish it), and the editor would have the final say over publishing. Though Drupal might be a better choice (I've used it for this purpose over at Free Software Magazine, and it works a lot better).

But we'd need volunteers to make the pages pretty for all previous issues and to create layout on current - and future - articles (which would be hidden until the PDF is released).

Any volunteers?

Oh, oh, oh, pick me!!!! \\:D/

ronniet
November 22nd, 2007, 12:53 AM
Oh, oh, oh, pick me!!!! \\:D/

Anyone? Anyone? No-one? Nope, don't see any hands... ;) :D

Ok, I'll put you down as a volunteer for this Andrew.

It'll probably be done in WP though as I don't want to start another site just for the online editions.

But i'll get back to you on this one later to get something sorted out...

Thanks for volunteering. :KS

Any other kind souls want to help out here??

LeAstrale
December 11th, 2007, 08:43 AM
I would like to help out too, if there is anything a MS IT supporter can help with?