PDA

View Full Version : Web dev tools for Ubantu

dodgingspam
November 19th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Can anyone point me into the right direction? Just wiped out my Xp and completely switched to Ubuntu. Looking to replace a few tools I need to carry on my web development. Need an FTP and something similar to HomeSite, if possible.

LaRoza
November 19th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Ubuntu has several ftp clients, but I just use Filezilla Portable and run it in Wine. (I used to not have the internet at home, so I used the portable client and uploaded my sites on 3d party computers, I have since gotten the internet, but still use it)

http://filezilla-project.org/

Search for it first in Synaptic, I am in Windows now doing a bit of cleaning up, and don't know if you can get it that way.

smartboyathome
November 19th, 2007, 05:04 AM
I use Filezilla too, and it is in Ubuntu's repos as of Gutsy, so check it out!

dodgingspam
November 19th, 2007, 05:11 AM
I got gutsy. I searched with synaptivs and see ftp. If filezilla is on my hd, how do I run it or where di I find it on HD?

LaRoza
November 19th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Install it through synaptic, then it should be under Applications->Network (or internet, where ever Firefox is)

dodgingspam
November 24th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Apparently there is no need for any FTP any longer. I can just map a remote drive: places/Connect to Server/FTP (with login) and just drug and drop my files to my web server. Cool.

DeadSuperHero
November 24th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Never heard of Ubantu.
:lolflag:

samjh
November 24th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Never heard of Ubantu.
:lolflag:

It's a derogatory term for Ubuntu. Typically used by Debian and Gentoo loyalists. ;)