PDA

View Full Version : Dirt-cheap AMD64? (~200)

jdong
September 1st, 2005, 11:27 PM
I've been looking for a replacement for my Coppermine Celeron system, and came across this:

Barebones system: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856119004 ($100)

Sempron64's http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0&type=&description=sempron+64&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0 (starting from 60 bucks)

So, all this thing needs are drives and RAM, and especially if you have some spare parts lying around... So, in theory, you can easily scrap together an amd64 for 200 bucks or lower.

The only thing that looks partly concerning is the integrated video which may have lower 3D performance, in which case add on a better vid card :)

xequence
September 1st, 2005, 11:44 PM
I've been looking for a replacement for my Coppermine Celeron system, and came across this:

Barebones system: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856119004 ($100)

Sempron64's http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0&type=&description=sempron+64&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0 (starting from 60 bucks)

So, all this thing needs are drives and RAM, and especially if you have some spare parts lying around... So, in theory, you can easily scrap together an amd64 for 200 bucks or lower.

The only thing that looks partly concerning is the integrated video which may have lower 3D performance, in which case add on a better vid card :)

Another person with a celeron coppermine =O

That does look really cool... I have 300$ (canadian) and id love to get a computer. Cheapest I can find is 350$ from dell. Plus shipping and tax, thats almost 500$. Then I need a monitor.

So that computer is ready to work, just needs RAM, optical drive, and a hard drive?

Id love to build my own computer, knowing im not wasting 100$ on XP that I wont use.

And about the video card, I doubt it will matter to me as I dont do much gaming.

All I would want is... Any modern processor. Intel, amd, wouldent matter to me :P As long as its cheap. And a 80 GB HDD... 60 GB very minimum. 512 MB ram preferably... A DVD burner... And the other stuff like an ethernet card.

wirebrain
September 2nd, 2005, 12:25 AM
pricewatch.com (http://pricewatch.com)

xequence
September 2nd, 2005, 12:41 AM
pricewatch.com (http://pricewatch.com)

Looks like a cool site... Ill look around it :) I sure hope these people ship to Canada.

wirebrain
September 2nd, 2005, 12:52 AM
i think the shipping depends on the individual supplier.

and your system specs are exactly like mine :P
except my HD is 20gb

xequence
September 2nd, 2005, 12:55 AM
i think the shipping depends on the individual supplier.

and your system specs are exactly like mine :P
except my HD is 20gb

Its weird, different programs say different specs... Ubuntu says 20.4GB, windows says 18.9, and its all weird. Everest (a program) says my cpu is 700 mhz but overclocked to 701 mhz. Some programs say my RAM is 189, some say 190, some say 191, and some say 192.

mstlyevil
September 2nd, 2005, 12:55 AM
Another person with a celeron coppermine =O

That does look really cool... I have 300$ (canadian) and id love to get a computer. Cheapest I can find is 350$ from dell. Plus shipping and tax, thats almost 500$. Then I need a monitor.

So that computer is ready to work, just needs RAM, optical drive, and a hard drive?

Id love to build my own computer, knowing im not wasting 100$ on XP that I wont use.

And about the video card, I doubt it will matter to me as I dont do much gaming.

All I would want is... Any modern processor. Intel, amd, wouldent matter to me :P As long as its cheap. And a 80 GB HDD... 60 GB very minimum. 512 MB ram preferably... A DVD burner... And the other stuff like an ethernet card.

If you don't mind on board video just get a 754 socket AMD sempron cpu and MB and 512 mb of memory. Just replace your board in your case and hook the rest up and then bam, as good as new pc for less than $200 dollars US.

jdong
September 2nd, 2005, 02:11 AM
I'm unsure of the onboard video's performance under Linux... Once I get the box I'll test it out and report back.

Worse comes to worse, an AGP Nvidia GeForce4 is only around 30 bucks. So yeah, add a optical drive, hard drive, and RAM.

xequence
September 2nd, 2005, 03:41 AM
If you don't mind on board video just get a 754 socket AMD sempron cpu and MB and 512 mb of memory. Just replace your board in your case and hook the rest up and then bam, as good as new pc for less than $200 dollars US.

Oh, I dont mind :P I dont get what you mean though... 754 socket AMD sempron cpu, is that just the processor, or the whole barebones computer? And what about the hard drive and optical drive? :P

I'm unsure of the onboard video's performance under Linux... Once I get the box I'll test it out and report back.

Ok =) The first link, does that come with a cpu? It looks like it does but a comment to it looks like it doesent.

jdong
September 2nd, 2005, 03:59 AM
The two links will give you a base system WITH a CPU. Missing are RAM, Optical Drives, and Storage.

RAM's pretty cheap (Rosewill), and you have optical and storage from your old computer ;)

xequence
September 2nd, 2005, 04:02 AM
Thanks alot =) Ill have the satisfaction of knowing I am not paying for something I dont even want. (Windows) :)

mstlyevil
September 2nd, 2005, 04:17 AM
Oh, I dont mind :P I dont get what you mean though... 754 socket AMD sempron cpu, is that just the processor, or the whole barebones computer? And what about the hard drive and optical drive? :P

Ok =) The first link, does that come with a cpu? It looks like it does but a comment to it looks like it doesent.

On board video means that you do not need a video card. Yes you can buy a motherboard CPU combo. I suggest sempron because it is the best bang for the buck in power and cost. I suggested 754 socket because it clocks better than the old Athlon XP chips that used to be the high end of AMD's lineup. By all means do not buy a socket A sempron. Do some shopping, both online and at the PC parts stores in your area for the best deal and just recycle your hard drive and your optical drives for now until you can afford to upgrade them.

WildTangent
September 2nd, 2005, 06:25 AM
Looks like a cool site... Ill look around it :) I sure hope these people ship to Canada.
www.canadacomputers.com

ive bought from them, really low prices. not sure what their service is like, since i havent dealt with that yet ;) i will be in a couple days though. sound stopped working on my mobo (i think it might be my fault, shhh! ;) ) ill let you know how it turns out

-Wild

xequence
September 2nd, 2005, 04:15 PM
www.canadacomputers.com

ive bought from them, really low prices. not sure what their service is like, since i havent dealt with that yet ;) i will be in a couple days though. sound stopped working on my mobo (i think it might be my fault, shhh! ;) ) ill let you know how it turns out

-Wild

Wow, that does have good prices! CRT monitor for 60$ =D Thanks ALOT =)

What is the difference between IDE and SATA hard drives? I think my computer has IDE but I dont know... Are they compatable? (As in a computer with a SATA drive, can I take it out and put in a IDE one and vice versa)

That site has good prices on most parts, just not on the accual barebone system :P I wonder how much duty it is over the border with the link in the first post... Hmmm...

poofyhairguy
September 2nd, 2005, 05:14 PM

What is the difference between IDE and SATA hard drives? I think my computer has IDE but I dont know... Are they compatable? (As in a computer with a SATA drive, can I take it out and put in a IDE one and vice versa)

That site has good prices on most parts, just not on the accual barebone system :P I wonder how much duty it is over the border with the link in the first post... Hmmm...

SATA is faster (by a lot I say).

xequence
September 2nd, 2005, 05:20 PM
SATA is faster (by a lot I say).

I remember hearing oddly somewhere that SATA Isnt compatable with linux... Is this true?

ANd are they backwards compatable? Like could I, with my IDE drive, take it out and replace it with a SATA one? :)

mstlyevil
September 2nd, 2005, 05:21 PM

Sata is new technology. Most new boards should be compatible with both. I had to buy a PCI-SATA controller to hook mine up cause my mobo came out before SATA was mainstream.If you buy a SATA drive to go with your new MOBO, make sure you get a sata power plug adapter and a SATA cable or you will be SOL. Some sata drives hook up with either type of power and some do not so just get the SATA power cable to be safe.

Deanodriver
September 2nd, 2005, 05:22 PM
Don't you have to install extra drivers for SATA controller chipsets?

IDE is the system that most computers have been for years, they're generally using the thick 40 or 80wire ribbon cables (although some have been rounded). That's likely to be the connection for your CD/DVD drives as well.

Serial ATA is the new type of connector, which is faster than IDE, but not all computers support it just yet (chances are nearly all modern motherboards do, though).

No, Serial ATA isn't backwards compatible, however most boards will continue to offer both for a good while yet.

mstlyevil
September 2nd, 2005, 05:24 PM
I remember hearing oddly somewhere that SATA Isnt compatable with linux... Is this true?

ANd are they backwards compatable? Like could I, with my IDE drive, take it out and replace it with a SATA one? :)

I am running SATA with LINUX. You will have to buy a SATA controller to run SATA on a old PC. SATA is not backwards compatrible.

mstlyevil
September 2nd, 2005, 05:25 PM
Don't you have to install extra drivers for SATA controller chipsets?

IDE is the system that most computers have been for years, they're generally using the thick 40 or 80wire ribbon cables (although some have been rounded). That's likely to be the connection for your CD/DVD drives as well.

Serial ATA is the new type of connector, which is faster than IDE, but not all computers support it just yet (chances are nearly all modern motherboards do, though).

No, Serial ATA isn't backwards compatible, however most boards will continue to offer both for a good while yet.

Ubuntu found my SATA controller vwithout having to install drivers.

xequence
September 2nd, 2005, 05:45 PM
I found I can build a decent computer for 278 canadian... Includes shipping from america, taxes, etc.

THe sempron barebone posted at the first
256 MB RAM
80 GB HDD
CD-RW Drive

ALl this stuff, buying different cables and all... DO I need all the different cables to use them with the barebone one posted at the first post?

mstlyevil
September 2nd, 2005, 05:59 PM
Just ask if it ships with all the cables. If not then go ahead and buy the cables you will need. Most Mo bo's ship with the sata cables. Some may or may not ship with the IDE cables for your CD rom. Just ask the sales person that takes your order.