PDA

View Full Version : Imagine if Microsoft.......

khurrum1990
November 18th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Hi, I was thinking what if, I know it can't be true but what if Microsoft release their own version of Linux with all the hardware support and software Windows has. What if they finish of all problems in the current kernels such as hibernate and stuff. Lets say games don't work but don't u think if Microsoft releases a really awesome version of Linux they could take over 100% market share?

Arwen
November 18th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Even if Microsoft did that,we'd had to pay for it..(That would be creepy,sth like Windux:-P)

PriceChild
November 18th, 2007, 10:31 PM
What is "Linux" in this question?

The kernel?
An open source software operating system?
An oss os with a gajillion supported apps?
An oss os with a gajillion apps for free?
An oss os with a gajillion supported apps for free (in beer, speech and whatever else)?

SomeGuyDude
November 18th, 2007, 10:32 PM
What is "Linux" in this question?

I'm assuming it means if MS made their own Distro of some kind in the same way that so and so makes Debian or SuSE or Gentoo.

DoctorMO
November 18th, 2007, 10:32 PM
khurrum1990: failure to understand free and open source software, Error on line 1

If Microsoft help us by creating their own version of Gnu/Linux, almost anything they do would have to be shared with the rest of the world at the same time they'd be giving all their competitors the same benifits and removing windows dominance for us.

It's all about platforms, gnu vs windows; it's not linux vs kernel32 or Microsoft vs Linux Torvalds. There is a lot of confusion apparently but anything Microsoft does to improve their own open source will benefit everyone.

mthakur2006
November 18th, 2007, 10:35 PM
khurrum1990: failure to understand free and open source software, Error on line 1

If Microsoft help us by creating their own version of Gnu/Linux, almost anything they do would have to be shared with the rest of the world at the same time they'd be giving all their competitors the same benifits and removing windows dominance for us.

It's all about platforms, gnu vs windows; it's not linux vs kernel32 or Microsoft vs Linux Torvalds. There is a lot of confusion apparently but anything Microsoft does to improve their own open source will benefit everyone.

maybe what if they released their version of BSD? that license is more suitable for them....or even worse, they took BSD kernel in next windows release without acknowledging it?????

khurrum1990
November 18th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the replies, u r right, even if they do release their own Linux version we will all benefit from it. That means they never will. Yeah and what if they make their own version of BSD??????

Ultra Magnus
November 18th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Yeah and what if they make their own version of BSD??????

You mean like Apple did?

Then we might actually have a windows that works and then everything would be unix just as people in the 70s thought it would be!

popch
November 18th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the replies, u r right, even if they do release their own Linux version we will all benefit from it. That means they never will. Yeah and what if they make their own version of BSD??????

By that you mean the BSOD, surely? I am not quite sure if that is a legitimate fork of BSD. Perhaps blueBSD?

coolglobal
November 19th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Windows is going to self implode. It just won't be able to keep up with Linux. Microsoft is now working with Novell ~ SUSE.

LaRoza
November 19th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Yeah and what if they make their own version of BSD??????

I see someone already got the BSOD line in.

Microsoft Live FreeBSOD

adamklempner
November 19th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Maybe they would call it Lindows?? Looks like the money I paid for that way back in the day may have finally made its way to M$. :)