PDA

View Full Version : Why don't forum moderators participate more in discussions??

kevdog
November 18th, 2007, 09:01 PM
With most of the forum moderators the most experienced users with Ubuntu, I just wonder why they don't participate actively in more discussions?? I can point to many exceptions, however it seems as a general rule the moderators truly moderate, and dont get involved in the nuts and bolts of many threads. Is there a rule that the moderators can't throw their hat into the ring more often?? They are some of the most experienced users out there.

KMadhla and Aysiu -- you two guys are known exceptions to this rule!!

zenwhen
November 18th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I steer clear of many discussions because it leads to a conflict of interest if anyone who disagrees with me on a point then breaks a rule or fails to abide by the Ubuntu CoC. If I edit a post that is pointed at me, it makes me look like I am censoring any dissent. I don't want to be looked at as a fascist, so I steer clear of most debates on the forums.

I would rather be able to effectively do my duty here than be able to be an active poster. I feel I am doing more for the community this way.

kevdog
November 18th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I wasn't really referring to threads in the Community Cafe -- these can sometimes and oftentimes wander off track -- but more in the other sections of the forum where usually information and not opinion is the rule.

Im not trying to bad mouth the moderators, but think in general they usually provide the most insight to problems of all the users. I would like it if they shared this knowledge more freely -- unless bound by some sort of gag CoC

Niedzwiedz
November 18th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I been browsing here from the day I first installed Ubuntu as a dual boot, I trashed windows months ago and use only Ubuntu now.
I think the Moderators have plenty to do as I understand this only volunteers anyway. I not had to ask many questions and when I have the community was able to help. I guess a moderator can jump in if they feel there a better way. But, watching here over time, Posts are made fairly quick/often and I think it hard for the few and mighty ;) to catch everything being posted. It seems to be overwhelming at times.. So, what I do is wait for a few posts to see what people say do and go from there with a little forethought and research. I hope if someone steer me wrong a Moderator will come to my defense, but, I also understand they can not be here 24/7 either. So, I always read a little about what I am told before I act.
Hope this helps.

PriceChild
November 18th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I think it would be very very dangerous and wrong to always take the moderator's side in a technical argument... we were not invited to perform this role because of our technical knowledge.

Yes we may not seem to participate as much in public... but imagine....
Right I've got a cheeky 20 minutes I can spend on the forum...
Check for new reported posts, review thread's posts, posters' posting history(ies) act, infract, whatever
Check Staff Forum... anything important there I should take note of whilst browsing today?
Check my subscribed threads... half subscribed to because I believe they should be watched, the other half just interesting if I have the time.
Anyone need help in the Forum Feedback and Help section?
Has the Backyard exploded again? (many mods don't even dare... :P).... ok and now lets go browsing and see where I end up... oh wait that 20 minutes is probably long gone :)

We participate when we have the time. :)

samjh
November 19th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Having been a moderator on a prominent military/police/politics discussion board, I'll point out that moderation takes time! You need to monitor important discussions, look for spam, posts that break the board's terms and conditions, threads in wrong forums, special requests from members, etc., all while writing high-quality posts yourself (which means multiple proof-reads, comprehensive source citations and fact-checking, etc).

It' not a job you can do half-heartedly if it is to be done properly.

kevdog
November 19th, 2007, 01:02 AM
I guess as in any forum but particularly in this forum there seem to be a ton of beginners with a very steep pyramid up to the top. Just would like to see the number of experienced users offering informative solutions increase -- moderators are an excellent resource. Again I would just like to see the slope of the pyramid flatten out a bit.

loell
November 19th, 2007, 01:15 AM
in addition, I think many moderators are also involve in foss projects , aside from monitoring the forum.

KiwiNZ
November 19th, 2007, 01:21 AM
The staff whom are volunteers give many hours service now. Their work loads are very high . This is a large and busy Forum.

bapoumba
November 19th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Hmm. I always end up spending twice as much time as I was supposed to.
We have a rule: do not moderate the threads you are involved in, which is wise.

I'm sure we were all asked to join the Staff team partly because we were helpful in the support areas, and moderating such a busy forum means we have less time to get involved directly. Not even talking about jobs, studies and families..

This is another way to help, for ex move a misplaced thread to the proper forum and bump it for other members to have a look and answer, delete or merge the duplicates, split off topic discussions, verify posted links, keep an eye on the gallery, clean the spam, start a thread in the Staff area when we have doubts, and then discuss it, follow up some threads during several days etc. I'm sure I'm missing some of the things we do ^^

frodon
November 19th, 2007, 11:53 AM
As zenwhen, PriceChild, KiwiNZ and bapoumba well said it the work load here is very high so it's sure that the time we spend bearing with this work load is time we don't spend in forum discussions and like you said some are also involved in other projects.
But there's many way to help, i found myself that one of the best way to help is to write detailed tutorials as they are some recurrent needs and good documentation always help. But it's always a pleasure for me to jump in the beginner talk or general help section to help randomly some users, that was the first reason for me to register here at the time :).

matthew
November 19th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I just don't like people and don't really want to help...

Just kidding. :)

Honestly, I try to help users here and there with problems, but I'm also running a business, doing research, writing books and papers, and trying to have a happy marriage and raise three kids. Like you, I try to do what I can to be of service to the community. Sometimes that is just hanging around and making sure things are going smoothly and watching another forums user come up with a great answer before I have time to do so. :)

kevdog
November 19th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks moderators for at least answering this thread. Its nice to see you guys all in one place at one time.

dark_harmonics
November 19th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Yes it is rare to see a moderator's tag next to a large tutorial. Guess they are busy keeping people like us in line :). It's still interesting to learn more about the inner workings of the forums and its community. Nice interesting topic drew me from opening my work for the day :)