PDA

View Full Version : No More Freespire

KingBahamut
September 1st, 2005, 09:33 PM
In a short story with a happy ending, the developer of a free version of Linspire called Freespire has agreed to change the name of his project, and Linspire is offering free copies of Linspire Linux for a few days. Freespire, which first popped up on Distrowatch last week, described itself as a free variant of Linspire Linux, with proprietary components and trademarks removed.

http://freespire.jasp.com/

Phantasman
September 1st, 2005, 09:38 PM
For a short time its "squiggle". They are looking for new names. Giving away a distro that doesn't have much on it out of the box, and going after the yearly charge of CNR, just doesn't sound appealing. Linspire got out of this cheap and trying to looking like heros. Remember when MS paid Linspire (then Lindows) $10,000,000 to change their name?

Linspire got off cheap.

TristanMike
September 1st, 2005, 09:48 PM
Thanx for the free Linspire. :)

KingBahamut
September 1st, 2005, 09:49 PM
Not like itll do you any good unless you cough up for the CNR membership.

and if you use Debians Repos or Ubuntus Repos, youll break it.

I think you could use Xandros' Repos, but I dont know what the ramification will be.

TristanMike
September 1st, 2005, 10:01 PM
Then I take my thank-you back! :razz:

Just kidding. :)

mstlyevil
September 1st, 2005, 10:11 PM
I'm going to download it and use the live CD for the fun of it.

xequence
September 1st, 2005, 10:21 PM
Ill download it... Ive heard good things about it.

As for paying for the CNR thing, couldent you just install stuff by compiling or whatever? Ill have to find out of I intend to use it =O

darkmatter
September 1st, 2005, 10:31 PM
Ill download it... Ive heard good things about it.

As for paying for the CNR thing, couldent you just install stuff by compiling or whatever? Ill have to find out of I intend to use it =O

Not with Linspire...at least not until you cough up the CNR membership to install gcc and any libraries you may need. :roll:

xequence
September 1st, 2005, 10:37 PM
Not with Linspire...at least not until you cough up the CNR membership to install gcc and any libraries you may need. :roll:

There has got to be SOME way of installing software free, right? That is odd... Charging for linux is one thing, I think it can be excused, but charging to install things!

Wikipedia says this:

"They achieved this using an application called CNR (click and run), a program based on Debian's Advanced Packaging Tool, providing an easy-to-use interface and a slightly modified package system for an annual fee (apt-get costs no money, but has less user-friendliness). "

That could mean apt-get is buried somewhere in there O_O

Also linspireguide.com says:

"If I can't afford CNR, how can I install programs?

Linspire is a Debian-based, so you can install programs like any other Debian-based linux distro. See apt-get and Hint 305 - Different methods to install Linux software"

Sorry if I seem like im trying desperatly to prove you wrong, im just thinking if I can apt-get, it might be worth a try on another partition.

For a short time its "squiggle". They are looking for new names. Giving away a distro that doesn't have much on it out of the box, and going after the yearly charge of CNR, just doesn't sound appealing. Linspire got out of this cheap and trying to looking like heros. Remember when MS paid Linspire (then Lindows) $10,000,000 to change their name?

Linspire got off cheap.

Oh, and thats not true... Quote from wikipedia:

"As part of an estimated $24 million cash and licensing settlement from Microsoft, Lindows agreed to change their name to Linspire."

neighborlee
September 1st, 2005, 10:45 PM
In a short story with a happy ending, the developer of a free version of Linspire called Freespire has agreed to change the name of his project, and Linspire is offering free copies of Linspire Linux for a few days. Freespire, which first popped up on Distrowatch last week, described itself as a free variant of Linspire Linux, with proprietary components and trademarks removed.

http://freespire.jasp.com/

do you really look like this..man you are a dead ringer for the guy in LOTR <wink>

cheers
nl

neighborlee
September 1st, 2005, 10:47 PM
Thanx for the free Linspire. :)

yeah they didn't have to do that and it does indeed make some nice PR ;-)

linspire is a good OS if you can forgive some fallbacks like apps in CNR not always current and whats not there how do you install and not break the OS..maybe issues addresed by five-0 I dont know...

anyway it has merit even if it uses KDE by default <G>

cheers
a Gnome-fan ( not to be confused with Knome-fan)
nl

darkmatter
September 1st, 2005, 11:13 PM
"They achieved this using an application called CNR (click and run), a program based on Debian's Advanced Packaging Tool, providing an easy-to-use interface and a slightly modified package system for an annual fee (apt-get costs no money, but has less user-friendliness). "

That could mean apt-get is buried somewhere in there O_O

Also linspireguide.com says:

"If I can't afford CNR, how can I install programs?

Linspire is a Debian-based, so you can install programs like any other Debian-based linux distro. See apt-get and Hint 305 - Different methods to install Linux software"

Sorry if I seem like im trying desperatly to prove you wrong, im just thinking if I can apt-get, it might be worth a try on another partition.

I'm not saying apt-get won't work, just that the LINSPIRE packages may not be available through any other method, and we all know about the compatability issues between Debian and it's 'offspring'.

I'm dl'ing anyway. I'll install and check their sources.list. If the Linspire repositories can be accessed outside of CNR, then it may be fun to play with. (Once I re-enable a proper UNIX security model)

neighborlee
September 2nd, 2005, 01:31 AM
I'm not saying apt-get won't work, just that the LINSPIRE packages may not be available through any other method, and we all know about the compatability issues between Debian and it's 'offspring'.

I'm dl'ing anyway. I'll install and check their sources.list. If the Linspire repositories can be accessed outside of CNR, then it may be fun to play with. (Once I re-enable a proper UNIX security model)

You can get the 'free trial' of CNR and at least get the basic stuff you need...the before you forget and starting paying cancel it. I'm heard that apt-get via synaptic works and doesn't break the system like 4.5 did but I cant say for certain. IT would be in their best interest because clearly they dont have as complete a CNR env. as of course the respository.

Of course their main audience prob. wont 'need' all the other things but still....

Yes, of interest with another partition...Ive' see it before and its decent but the livecd does take quite some time to loadup compared to knoppix and such.

cheers
nl

poofyhairguy
September 2nd, 2005, 01:36 AM
One day, Linspire will get smart and just sell a fancied up Ubuntu. Soon as they learn that click-and-run won't work forever.

benplaut
September 2nd, 2005, 02:00 AM
if Linspire is giving away versions for a limited time, won't it be perfectly legal to keep circulating them after they stop doing it officially?

Phantasman
September 2nd, 2005, 02:04 AM
I have Linspire loaded now. Have for almost a year. I don't use it much because it is so slow. But I do know that there are people that use it without CNR. You really have to break the CNR program to make it use apt. It has a lot of Linspire proprietary stuff in the OS. I don't know how fast it is without CNR, Virus safe and Firewall. I never tried it. But to me the CNR repository was not up to date the last time I used it. I run PCLOS, UBUNTU and Linspire. The first two are much faster. And when my CNR subscription comes up in Oct. I will not be renewing it.

xequence
September 2nd, 2005, 03:33 AM
One day, Linspire will get smart and just sell a fancied up Ubuntu. Soon as they learn that click-and-run won't work forever.

I dont get how they can charge people money to use a graphical installer! If I know the program name exactly apt-get is good.

if Linspire is giving away versions for a limited time, won't it be perfectly legal to keep circulating them after they stop doing it officially?

We will probably see it on some torrent sites... Its on thepiratebay and has been for awhile. And no, I doubt it will be legal, though its not often that stops people ;)

I have Linspire loaded now. Have for almost a year. I don't use it much because it is so slow. But I do know that there are people that use it without CNR. You really have to break the CNR program to make it use apt. It has a lot of Linspire proprietary stuff in the OS. I don't know how fast it is without CNR, Virus safe and Firewall. I never tried it. But to me the CNR repository was not up to date the last time I used it. I run PCLOS, UBUNTU and Linspire. The first two are much faster. And when my CNR subscription comes up in Oct. I will not be renewing it.

Virus safe? But there arnt any linux viruses...

bjweeks
September 3rd, 2005, 06:36 PM
I dont get it why even use Linspire its worthless. Ubuntu is better and its free.

neighborlee
September 3rd, 2005, 06:41 PM
I dont get how they can charge people money to use a graphical installer! If I know the program name exactly apt-get is good.

We will probably see it on some torrent sites... Its on thepiratebay and has been for awhile. And no, I doubt it will be legal, though its not often that stops people ;)

Virus safe? But there arnt any linux viruses...

ha well there are a few ( no idea about them as I"ve never been affected by any since i've used linux, which goes back to redhat 5.2) , but its sold mainly as a way to help keep your M$ bud's safe as you use email as seen here:

http://www.linspire.com/products_virussafe_whatis.php
( even though top part says no linux virus's yet second P tries to convince you otherwise LOL )

cheers
nl

DJ_Max
September 3rd, 2005, 06:50 PM
Linspire giving their OS away free doesn't entitle you to do with it as you please. You still have to follow the terms and licensing.

I wouldn't use Linspire if they paid me to.

bjweeks
September 3rd, 2005, 06:56 PM
Linspire giving their OS away free doesn't entitle you to do with it as you please. You still have to follow the terms and licensing.

I wouldn't use Linspire if they paid me to.

Yes, I aggre it is pointless to have to pay for apps that are free. I will never pay to install Firefox or any other open source softwear.

Ubunted
September 3rd, 2005, 07:24 PM
I followed the directions for the free download to the letter several days ago and the ISO or bittorrent link has yet to appear in the appropriate location.

az
September 3rd, 2005, 07:45 PM

No. You need to get a licence, and that is what you are doing. You are purchasing a licence with a discount, so it costs you nothing.

I do not think linspire is useless. I beleive it has proprietary formats (mp3...) out-of-the-box, legally (they paid for the licence to redistribute it). So the fact you do not get Click and run means you cannot install any of their software from the click and run archive, but I still think the install cd has a lot of intereting stuff.

Ubuntu is my choice because I am an advocate for free libre open source software. Not everybody wants that. I think linspire is great if you are interested in a linux OS, but are also in the market for a proprietary OS because you cannot be bothered to find free alternatives to the things you are used to.

This is great marketing for them. Well, the poor serformance of their shopping cart is slightly off-putting, to those who do not realise that this is a big promotional event...

darkmatter
September 3rd, 2005, 10:16 PM
I beleive it has proprietary formats (mp3...) out-of-the-box, legally (they paid for the licence to redistribute it). So the fact you do not get Click and run means you cannot install any of their software from the click and run archive, but I still think the install cd has a lot of intereting stuff.

Though I'm not a supporter of Linspire, and prefer the truly 'free' alternatives, I would like to point out that a free trial of CNR is available.

You could just use that to grab all the software you need and create an 'extras' cd so you always have that software available, then cancel CNR before the trial period expires.

Oh, apt (and thus synaptic) works in Five-O.

az
September 4th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Though I'm not a supporter of Linspire, and prefer the truly 'free' alternatives,

Well, that is the problem with proprietary formats. It is possible to use free and open source software to use those formats, but it breaks the law.

Now, I object to the law calling the use of that format someone's property, but that still is the law.

The real answer to the real problem is to get users to move away from using those formats in favor of truly free alternatives, such as ogg instead of mp3.

Once people (developers, engineers and designers) get the hang of the fact that you do not have to pay to
1. encode something in ogg.
2. distribute it
3. decode it.
the format will become more and more prevalent.

In some way, Linspire brings a user closer to that free software than if they were to stick with an OS like Windows or Mac. Even though they are still using MP3 licences.

I guess I am saying that linspire is better than nothing. Rather, it is better than what non-linux users are using now.

xequence
September 4th, 2005, 02:59 AM
Well, that is the problem with proprietary formats. It is possible to use free and open source software to use those formats, but it breaks the law.

Now, I object to the law calling the use of that format someone's property, but that still is the law.

The real answer to the real problem is to get users to move away from using those formats in favor of truly free alternatives, such as ogg instead of mp3.

Once people (developers, engineers and designers) get the hang of the fact that you do not have to pay to
1. encode something in ogg.
2. distribute it
3. decode it.
the format will become more and more prevalent.

In some way, Linspire brings a user closer to that free software than if they were to stick with an OS like Windows or Mac. Even though they are still using MP3 licences.

I guess I am saying that linspire is better than nothing. Rather, it is better than what non-linux users are using now.

I do aggree on your point that linspire is beter then nothing. I dont have a problem with linspire, but I dont like they are charging for CNR. If I had my way the OS would be 30$ and CNR would be free.

The reason OGG isnt used much is everything works with mp3... I use mp3 because its whats on the P2P networks and the fact that if I re-encoded it, it would be worse quality then ogg or mp3, plus it would take me along time to encode to ogg, and my mp3 player works with mp3 and atrac3 (sony = mean, who accually needs atrac3?)

az
September 4th, 2005, 03:19 AM
I do aggree on your point that linspire is beter then nothing. I dont have a problem with linspire, but I dont like they are charging for CNR. If I had my way the OS would be 30$ and CNR would be free.

I think there are worse things. They seem to stand more for the customer paying for the service than for the customer paying for the software, which is a significant difference when you are a free software zealot who adimantly beleives that software is _not_ property.

The source for everything in the CNR archive, with the exception of the relicenced apps, is made available to anyone.

bjweeks
September 4th, 2005, 04:16 AM
But dont you have to pay to download from CNR?

aysiu
September 4th, 2005, 04:37 AM
But dont you have to pay to download from CNR? Yes, but you're paying for the installation of the software, not for the software itself. It's a fine distinction, but it's there. It's sort of like how you pay the post office to deliver your mail but not for the mail itself (what's in the envelope).

bjweeks
September 4th, 2005, 04:39 AM
I ment dont you have to pay to download the sourcecode?

az
September 4th, 2005, 04:46 AM
But dont you have to pay to download from CNR?

Yes. But you pay for the service, not the software.

My point is that many people think Linspire is taking a free thing and charging for it. They are, but there is more to it than that.

They give back to the open source community. All of their own applications (Lsongs Lphoto) (with the exception of the CNR client) is GPLed. All of the custom fonts and icons as well as translations they did are given back. They are not taking a free product and turning it into their property.

It is not like they are making mozilla-firefox theirs by adding patches to it and preventing you from using it freely. No one is pointing a gun to your head to use their software, either. But some people are willing to pay for their service.

That is the way to make money from open source software. You pay the programmer. You are not purchasing the programmer's ideas (because those are free) but you are paying her to gome up with the ideas.

So, here, the customer is paying Linspire for delivering and supporting some free software.

It's not much worse than someone paying me twenty bucks to install Ubuntu on their computer.

I had it can be worse: I do not know of any way that Xandros contributes anything back to the community. i do not know how they are not violating the GPL by not making the source available for the applications they sell - which are mostly GPLed software. I have not read their licencing agreement, though. Perhaps someone can fill me in.

az
September 4th, 2005, 04:47 AM
I ment dont you have to pay to download the sourcecode?

No, you don't.

Galoot
September 4th, 2005, 08:23 AM
I followed the directions for the free download to the letter several days ago and the ISO or bittorrent link has yet to appear in the appropriate location.
I ran across this copy of the torrent file (http://members.shaw.ca/pixelarts/torrents/linspire_5.0.59.torrent). Maybe it'll get you in. It doesn't look like an official link, but the tracker it leads to is the real deal. I don't know how long the file will be there, though.

Mishura
September 4th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Disclaimer: Not a Linspire user, never used it.. but I have heard a lot about it.

Technically you can install packages directly from Debian's repos. In fact, their sources.list file has the Debian repos in there, just commented out. So.. comment out CNR's repos and uncomment Debian's, and what you have is some kind of Frankensteinian Debspire (or Linian?).

Thing is: there's no point to using Linspire if your not using their CNR. I can install Debian and do the same thing. If you want the same thing as that, I suggest getting yourself a copy of Mepis, and making sure you are pointing to either Etch or Sid repositories and apt-get upgrade away. (This method is the easiest to install Debian I think, since Mepis boots into a Live CD, and you can install and browse the net or whatever. Pretty nice. I think Knoppix does this too.)

So you pretty much have to ask yourself, what does Linspire offer you. To me, they don't offer anything, because I know how to add extra repos and get that proprietary stuff added. Its not installed default, granted, but as long as I have net access, its all good. If you don't have net access, then SuSE is much more up your alley.

But, if you are a newbie, have NO IDEA what programs do what in GNU/Linux, and do have the money to pretty much make the hard things "go away", then this is your best option. Ubuntu comes close, but you still have to add the universe/multiverse repos, and deal with Synaptic, which isn't the best at usability, but still a powerful program.

benplaut
September 4th, 2005, 09:33 AM
If I had my way

then again, if you had your way... :roll:

aysiu
September 4th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Technically you can install packages directly from Debian's repos. In fact, their sources.list file has the Debian repos in there, just commented out. So.. comment out CNR's repos and uncomment Debian's, and what you have is some kind of Frankensteinian Debspire (or Linian?). Technically, and I've even tried to follow tutorials that claim to tell you how to do this, but it's never panned out for me. Some programs will install okay. Others will not. Sometimes the dependencies get all mixed up. There are some Debian repositories that won't stat. I also tried using Klikit! on Linspire 5.0 and got this error (http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/psychocats/982e0b9b.jpg).

The official word from Linspire's website (http://help.linspire.com/cgi-bin/linspire.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=996&p_created=1084920692&p_sid=LVDQhJOh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9OCZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT0mcF9wcm9kX2x2bDI9JnB fY2F0X2x2bDE9JnBfY2F0X2x2bDI9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2Vhc mNoX3RleHQ9YXB0LWdldA**&p_li=):

WARNING! -- both apt-get and synaptic can break a Linspire box since it might overwrite some Linspire specific stuff with standard Debians which might break some programs (apt-get works but it's not advised to be used by Linspire, Inc. staff).

JacX
September 6th, 2005, 02:16 PM
I guess you guys have read the linspire statement....

http://info.linspire.com/freespire/index.html

Phantasman
September 7th, 2005, 12:10 AM
I used Linspire for a year. I still have it loaded and never use it. Its slow, and CNR is not usually up to date.

I removed myself from the forum there pretty much, because my post of my heart going out to the people in London after the bombings, was deleted, due to community standards of politics.

They were excited the other day and posted so that they broke their record of people online at one time. 34.

az
September 7th, 2005, 02:18 AM
I was on call this weekend so I was awake at odd hours. I redeemed the coupon and downloed the iso.

Meh.

You *really* need a fast computer to use this OS. It is really really slow on a pentium II. I do not have the patience to try to get wireless networking going. It says it finds my card and everyting, but no connection.

Hey, I tried.

Phantasman
September 7th, 2005, 02:28 AM
I should have mentioned to read the requirements, sorry.

I have a K7 1.8 Ghz AMD and its slow. It needs 512 megs of RAM but some say they get by with 256. Firefox, sometimes like 10 seconds, unless you can live with that.

I have tried many distros ina years time, and believe me Ubuntu is about the best. PCLOS for KDE and RPMs is my favorite. And Kanotix if you need something simple like KLIK.

Mepis, using Debian stable, is OK and picks up hardware great. Its a liveCD also.