PDA

View Full Version : Runlevel change won't "stick"

arijarot
November 18th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I tried to change from the default runlevel 2 to 3 using
telinit 3. I check to see if it works using
runlevel and it does. But, on rebooting, I enter runlevel 2 again.

Why won't /etc/rc3.d save the changes?

Iandefor
November 19th, 2007, 03:49 AM
telinit changes the current runlevel. It doesn't change what the default runlevel is.

I'm pretty sure the default runlevel on Debian is set in the configuration file /etc/inittab. There is a manpage (http://www.netadmintools.com/html/5inittab.man.html) describing the format if the contents of the file aren't descriptive enough.

arijarot
November 19th, 2007, 05:58 PM
telinit changes the current runlevel. It doesn't change what the default runlevel is.

I'm pretty sure the default runlevel on Debian is set in the configuration file /etc/inittab. There is a manpage (http://www.netadmintools.com/html/5inittab.man.html) describing the format if the contents of the file aren't descriptive enough.

Thanks a lot :)

Iandefor
November 20th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Thanks a lot :)Not a problem.

FYI, /etc/inittab is no longer used on Ubuntu systems because Ubuntu is transitioning from a System V-style init system to Upstart.

arijarot
November 20th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Hmmm... I'm using debian. It boots into runlevel three, but it's not what it's supposed to be. I read that runlevel 3 is cli, networked, multi-user, but it just boots into the gui as usual. Which runlevel boots into the tty, is networked...?

Pobega
November 23rd, 2007, 07:15 AM
Hmmm... I'm using debian. It boots into runlevel three, but it's not what it's supposed to be. I read that runlevel 3 is cli, networked, multi-user, but it just boots into the gui as usual. Which runlevel boots into the tty, is networked...?

You may be interested in the program sysv-rc-conf for changing what starts/stops at which runlevels.

Edit: Or perhaps you'd be interested in file-rc, which I find easier than sysv-rc-conf. file-rc changes the whole sysv system to a faster, easier to configure (/etc/runlevel.conf) version of sysv.

sillyVM
August 5th, 2008, 05:35 PM
To make it stick do:

sudo vi /etc/event.d/rc-default

Change the

telinit 2

To desired runlevel.

Or if you read the script, you can actually created a a /etc/inittab file to make the run level change. but it's up to you.