PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu and windows integration with virtual box

nsterjov
November 18th, 2007, 05:54 AM
If anybody wants to run commercial studio programs in ubuntu studio, one way is to run it in virtual box. I have got Zbrush 3.1, adobe flash cs3, toonboom 4 and photoshop cs3 extended in mine. I have allocated 700mb of ram to VBox but the higher the better.

I am running 1.5.2 VBOX

boast
November 18th, 2007, 07:54 AM
does adobe premiere work in virtualbox?

-grubby
November 18th, 2007, 07:56 AM
does adobe premiere work in virtualbox?
any program should run in virtualbox, it's just like windows running in a window except the fact thatit gets less hardware resources

akiratheoni
November 18th, 2007, 08:02 AM
any program should run in virtualbox, it's just like windows running in a window except the fact thatit gets less hardware resources

Not everything. A lot of games don't work, IIRC. Also, Windows Movie Maker didn't work for me.

ade234uk
November 18th, 2007, 09:09 AM
What is performance like?

I would use Virtual Box tommorow if I know apps would run as fast as they do in Windows.

I have intel core 2 duo and 2gb of ram and 256mb graphics card

de_valentin
November 18th, 2007, 09:41 AM
for me untill now sketchup, arcgis and office work even better in virtualbox but with arcgis the difference is the biggest.

miggols99
November 18th, 2007, 10:33 AM
What is performance like?

I would use Virtual Box tommorow if I know apps would run as fast as they do in Windows.

I have intel core 2 duo and 2gb of ram and 256mb graphics card
Well with those specs you'll get it pretty fast. I installed XP in it to see what it was like. and it ran pretty fast. I only have 1GB RAM...If you allocate 1GB to it, I will zoom ;)

n3tfury
November 18th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Well with those specs you'll get it pretty fast. I installed XP in it to see what it was like. and it ran pretty fast. I only have 1GB RAM...If you allocate 1GB to it, I will zoom ;)

then that leaves you 0 RAM for the host...

Depressed Man
November 18th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Well there's always pagefile or swap..but yeah that'll be slow.

And anything that requires sophisticated use of DirectX (like games) won't work.

ade234uk
November 18th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I might get myself a second drive and give it a go. I love Ubuntu but I have always been forced to go back to Windows because something always niggled me with Crossover Office.

JAPrufrock
November 18th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Because of the heavy memory use, I only use VirtualBox when Wine doesn't work with a Windows app (I only have 1 meg of memory). I would expect that a VM would work best with 1.5 meg or more of memory.

aysiu
November 18th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Then allocate 512 MB for each (host and guest OS), and you'll be fine.

spockrock
November 18th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I think what migotts99 means is he has 1GB of ram and it works fine for him, and is suggesting that if the person with a core2duo runs it he can allocate 1gb of ram and everything will be fine.

miggols99
November 21st, 2007, 05:43 PM
then that leaves you 0 RAM for the host...
They have 2GB RAM. If I put 1GB RAM for me, well that would be slooow.