PDA

View Full Version : can a class member function be used as a thread routine?

ibne.fazil
November 17th, 2007, 11:18 PM
:cry::cry:Hello

I have to make a udp server in c++ to service multiple clients at a time.
For this i would create a thread for each arriving client using pthread_create() function. Can i use a class member function as a thread routine?

I tried it but it using g++ but it gave an error saying cannot convert 'CServer::' to 'void *(*)(void *)'

Please help me on this!

I also tried to use an external function 'void * handler(void *)'which i defined in the header file of the class but when i compiled 'g++ -o k CServer.o main.o' it returned an error saying multiple definitions of 'handler(void *)' :cry:

CptPicard
November 17th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Seeing some code might help people help you... but off the top of my head, if using straight raw class member (static, in Java terms?) function doesn't work, you might just as well try wrapping the call by something that does work, that is, make your own wrapper function for the express purpose of calling YourClass::memberFunction().

DavidBell
November 18th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Can i use a class member function as a thread routine?

Well, assuming pthread is the same as windows threads, the answer is no, because member functions have a hidden pointer to this prepended to start of their arguments, so the function signature doesn't match correctly.

However, at least in windows, you can get around it by declaring the member function as static which gets rid of the hidden this. (Cast the void* argument to this to get to member data if you need to).

HTH DB

ibne.fazil
November 18th, 2007, 04:24 AM
I tried to use a wrapper function, but it dint work. My implementation was like this...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Server.h

class CServer
{

};
CServer *obj;
void* Wrapper(void *arg)
{
obj->HandleClient(arg);
// HandleClient(void*) is the function that i want use as thread
//routine
}
// Server.cpp
#include "Server.h"

CServer::CServer()
{
obj->this;
}
int HandleClient(void *arg)
{

}
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// main.cpp

#include "Server.h"

int main(void)
{
CServer s;
}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Following two commands run fine...
g++ -c -I. Server.cpp
g++ -c -I. main.cpp

But when I put
g++ -o k -lpthread Server.o main.o

compiler gives an error, multiple definitions of function Wrapper(void*)

Please help me how can I remove this problem?
Thanx for ur answer...

Umar

dumbsnake
November 18th, 2007, 04:35 AM
You must nest the functions you wish to use inside a class... In general:

class myClass {

};

But mainly, I don't think you have ever written a working program in C++... YOu might want to learn the language first a bit. I'd recommend a book, but I might not be the best person to do that. I believe there are several threads on the forums that will help you get started with C++. Best of Luck.

ibne.fazil
November 18th, 2007, 04:46 AM
oh yes i really need to learn it first... but the thing is, as it is clear, we cannot use a class member function as a thread routine, we have no other way than to make a wrapper function, which could be of course global. Therefore i wrote Wrapper(void) function with such intentions.

Please tell me if this is not the correct way of writing a wrapper function, then what it is? I am sure it wouldnt be nested inside the class!

dumbsnake
November 18th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Most thread libraries (if they take a function pointer) will want it to be of type int (*)(void *) which translates to a function like:

int new_thread_function(void *){
// do whatever here
}

Then you pass the address of the function with whatever parameters you want in the void * argument as follows:

void *params;

(myclass *&)params = new myclass(9000, somevariable, "put", "your", "parameters", "here");

create_thread(&new_thread_function, params);

aks44
November 18th, 2007, 12:32 PM
// Server.h

class CServer
{

};
CServer *obj;
void* Wrapper(void *arg)
{
obj->HandleClient(arg);
// HandleClient(void*) is the function that i want use as thread
//routine
}
// Server.cpp
#include "Server.h"

CServer::CServer()
{
obj->this;
}
int HandleClient(void *arg)
{

}
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// main.cpp

#include "Server.h"

int main(void)
{
CServer s;
}

[...]

compiler gives an error, multiple definitions of function Wrapper(void*)

There is a rule in C++ : the One Definition Rule. It means that a function or variable can be defined only once in the whole program, however you can declare it numerous times.

declare = make the prototype available (typically in headers)
define = make the implementation available (typically in units aka .cpp)

In your code, the definition of Wrapper() is in Server.h, which gets included by both Server.cpp and main.cpp.
As a result, Wrapper() is defined in *both* units, hence the "multiple definitions" error. Move the definition to either .cpp, and in the .h replace it by a declaration, and all will be fine.

You don't have a problem with pthreads, only a problem of basic C++ syntax (not to mention the numerous other errors in the code you provided). I would strongly suggest that before messing with multithreading, you learn how C++ really works, otherwise you *will* screw up badly. Concurrent programming is a very advanced topic, definitely not for beginners. Just my 0.02...

uljanow
November 18th, 2007, 05:33 PM
#include <cstdlib>
#include <pthread.h>

class foo {
pthread_t tid;

static void* run(void*)
{
// do something
return NULL;
}
public:
void run()
{
if (pthread_create(&tid, NULL, foo::run, this))
exit(-1);
}
void* join()
{
void* ret;
if (pthread_join(tid, &ret))
exit(-1);
return ret;
}
};

int main()
{
foo f;
f.run();
f.join();
}Here is an example. The real thread function is static. A better way would be to define an abstract class Runnable and let foo derive from that class (like in java).