PDA

View Full Version : Easiest Distro

drndrw
November 17th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Hey guys. A friend of mine wants me to build him a computer, and I am thinking about the OS I want on it. I was an easy to use, good looking distro that doesn't require any usage of the terminal to get easy things done. I know Ubuntu is nice, but I know if I was fresh to computers, I'd have no idea what I',m doing. And how is Darwin? Would that work? I know it's freeBSD based, but would that be good for a beginner? Thanks.

Lostincyberspace
November 17th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I would do Ubuntu it is the easiest i have used at least since gutsy, but then open suse isn't that bad. :lol:

SomeGuyDude
November 17th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Mandriva was pretty brainless when I used it (despite being buggy). If you know your way around KDE I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult.

Honestly though you probably won't need to do much terminal-ing outside of copy-paste in Ubuntu. Thanks to its popularity, 95% of the software I've installed has either been in the repository, come with a .deb installer, or had explicit directions for installation on Ubuntu.

drndrw
November 17th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Well yeah, but I'm talking about no prior Linux experience and wants to run Windows games.

Lostincyberspace
November 17th, 2007, 11:15 PM
To run windows games you need either a virtual machine or emulator Ubuntu has some of each in its repository's. :lol:

buzzmandt
November 17th, 2007, 11:19 PM
for windows games you're best off with windows.....
you can do wine which has explicit ubuntu directions, or cedega which is pretty easy in any linux i've tried.

Frak
November 17th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Read my sig. It would be difficult for an answer, but IMHO, Freespire, Ubuntu, PCLOS, OpenSUSE, Fedora, and Arch (once you get the hang of it) are pretty simple.

fuscia
November 17th, 2007, 11:25 PM
arch? are you kidding? even for end users?

Kingsley
November 18th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Well yeah, but I'm talking about no prior Linux experience and wants to run Windows games.
Then put Windows XP on it. That's a no-brainer.

SomeGuyDude
November 18th, 2007, 12:35 AM
XP/Ubuntu dual boot. If he wants to do things that are Windows-specific, trying to hurl a newbie at emulation and whatnot is going to be more than a little headache-inducing.

LaRoza
November 18th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Hey guys. A friend of mine wants me to build him a computer, and I am thinking about the OS I want on it. I was an easy to use, good looking distro that doesn't require any usage of the terminal to get easy things done.

Don't think about the OS you want on it. You are building it for someone else, put what they want on it.

In this case, Windows XP would be the best choice. If this person wants a Linux, you can dual boot it or install VirtualBox on XP, so your friend can try out various distros.

Your name is familiar...

Mr.popo
November 18th, 2007, 12:39 AM
I would say ubuntu would be the best os to go for, but if he wants to play window games, then i would most definetly go for windows xp.

HermanAB
November 18th, 2007, 12:42 AM
As others have pointed out, if you want to play ******* games, then you have to run *******.

If you wan to run the easiest (and fastest) Linux, then get Puppy Linux.

If you want Linux with wizards for everything, then you need Mandriva Linux.

If you want a middle of the road Linux, then get Ubuntu.

RAV TUX
November 18th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Hey guys. A friend of mine wants me to build him a computer, and I am thinking about the OS I want on it. I was an easy to use, good looking distro that doesn't require any usage of the terminal to get easy things done. I know Ubuntu is nice, but I know if I was fresh to computers, I'd have no idea what I',m doing. And how is Darwin? Would that work? I know it's freeBSD based, but would that be good for a beginner? Thanks.

Ubuntu then install the e17 CVS Deb in my signature.

Oz OS e17 CVS Deb. (http://ruialeixopais.planetaclix.pt/linux/e17_cvs_0.0-3_all.deb)

This will keep him on a Ubuntu base, and Enlighten his world with the simplicity and beauty of e17.

guillelo11
November 18th, 2007, 12:47 AM
I think Ubuntu is the easiest

ericartman
November 18th, 2007, 12:53 AM
XP / Ubuntu dual boot. While wine and Cedega work, both take care, effort, and dedication. Nothing like the experience XP would give you for an easy enjoyable experience gaming in my experience. Dual booting for me has been rock solid and easy, just install xp first and you should be good to go with Ubuntu. I hate CLI and haven't had to do much more that cut and paste with Ubuntu.

Cart

drndrw
November 18th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Ah, okay. Well I guess I'll go with XP then. And LaRoza, you were at my forum for a while (link in sig if that rings a bell :P).

LaRoza
November 18th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Ah, okay. Well I guess I'll go with XP then. And LaRoza, you were at my forum for a while (link in sig if that rings a bell :P).

Yes, I remember. I didn't really forget :-). How is the forum doing?

Linuxratty
November 18th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Duel boot,XP,Kbuntu, Freespire,Klikit when it's out of beta.

drndrw
November 19th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Wouldn't that slow down the computer? And we're pretty much dead now. Might start something new though :P.