PDA

View Full Version : help foreign output characters

opakedragon
November 17th, 2007, 10:12 PM
ok so I am currently trying to brush up on my programming and I pretty much know how to use g++ but My computer got unplugged while I was working (I also happened to be using pdfcrack but only my programming seems be affected by the interruption...) and now I keep getting output (being written out to a file) that what looks like foreign characters [see attachment]. I tried to reinstall g++ next im going to try pdfcrack reinstall (it works otherwise).

thanks for your help

LaRoza
November 18th, 2007, 01:13 AM
It looks like the file was corrupted.

opakedragon
November 18th, 2007, 05:45 AM
the thing is I copied the text over to a new file and named it something different but when I ran it it was still giving this output. could one of the libraries be corrupted?

opakedragon
November 18th, 2007, 06:06 AM
another note to add I just opened a brand new text file and wrote a totally different program (still writing out to a file but...) and it produced what looks to be the right number of characters but they were all foreign....

Kadrus
November 18th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Yeah like Laroza said..the file got corrupted..

smartbei
November 18th, 2007, 04:38 PM
@Kadrus - Yes, Laroza did indeed say that. We saw it too. Also, it may be worth reading new replies to see if new information has arrived (it has).

From what I understand, the problem is not that the original source file is corrupted, as the OP has stated that he copied the source into a new file and it still doesn't work (and he even wrote a whole new program and the problem persists). Rather, the problem is that the output of the program is gibberish.

@OP - Can you provide us with a bit of source? Are you printing to a file using vanilla c/c++ standard library functions? When you print to stdout (printf, cout) does the same thing happen? I highly doubt a library or g++ could be corrupted, since they weren't being edited when the plug was pulled, just used.

It could also be a problem of file encoding - This shouldn't be a proble for any English text, but other languages can cause what is shown in the screenshot if different encodings are used to write and read the file.

opakedragon
November 19th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I was using #include <fstream> and the data type ofstream to output to the file. also when I use cout (even at the same time as ofstream) I get gibberish in the text file and good output on the screen.

smartbei
November 19th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I really have no idea what the problem could be. Do you want to post a very short example program so that others can verify your results?

aks44
November 19th, 2007, 11:34 PM
@OP: Speaking of file encoding... what is the output of this bash command? It should be run the same way you're running your program.

echo $LANG

Granted, this is quite random but you never know...

opakedragon
November 20th, 2007, 05:27 AM
figured it out sorry about all this it turns out I was going out of bounds of my array by one sorry about all this