PDA

View Full Version : PDA's - Favorite Programs

Bruce M.
November 17th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Since I use my Palm Tungsten E2 a lot and have no problems syncing with JPilot ( v0.99.9.2 ) in Feisty. I'm curious as to what other PDA's people use and your favorite programs.

My list (although not complete):

DateBk6 (Commercial) - pop in a "floating appointment - no time" - Create a Catagory: ToDo and do away with Palm's ToDo program. JPilot recognizes DateBk 3/4/5/6 tags

CardTXT (Free) - read/edit (up to 4MB) TXT files on your card and EBooks on the machine or card. If you don't need the formatting of DocsToGo this is FAST!

CardReader (Commercial) - turn your Palm Card into an external drive ( works well with Linux ) Used it to transfer my Windows based Thunderbird Email to Linux.

3XCom (Free Version & Commercial) - File manager for the Palm

TrueTerm - (Commercial) English-Spanish Dictionary, Thesaurus, Verb Conjugater ( other languages available)

NoahPro - (Free) English Dictionary. It was commercial with a free version: NoahLite

MetrO - (Free) If you travel a lot, this has the subways of more than 350 cities around the world.

Currency (Free) - Exchange rates downloadable daily.

In Prefs:
CutPaste5 (Free) - Really increases the size of your cut/paste ability.

ShorCut5 (Free) - create really "large" shortcuts.

Switch5 (Free) - switch between programs very fast, and back again.

Folder (Free) - (from the MetrO people) put a file on the card, and folder, when configured, will automatically move it to the proper folders. It does configured to do the MetrO databases automatically, but you can add to it. My addition: Creator ID: REAd - Type: TEXt - Directory: Documents

Brautigam
November 17th, 2007, 10:07 PM
wow that is a very good list, i cant top that!!

rsambuca
November 17th, 2007, 10:08 PM
wow that is a very good list, i cant top that!!

Let's quit with the spam posts Brautigam.

daynah
November 17th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Due Yesterday - kept my classes in order. It will calculate you GPA is you go through college, which is pretty nifty.

MyCheckbook - VERY Powerful checkbook.

Handy Shopper - Great for making lists in addition to helping for shop. When used for shopping, it has mad features like putting in the price of an object at multiple stores, and what lane it's on in multiple stores. Organize just what you need by lane, you already know what it's going to cost and you're out of the grocery store like a speed demon (important when you're going with kids).

All free!

fuscia
November 17th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Let's quit with the spam posts Brautigam.

campaigning for moderator?

rsambuca
November 17th, 2007, 11:58 PM
campaigning for moderator?

No, but this kind of stuff bugs me. This poster joined the forums today, with a spam signature, and then proceeds to make 30+ posts in the first 20 minutes, most of which were usesless posts.

Bruce M.
November 23rd, 2007, 05:46 PM
Due Yesterday - kept my classes in order. It will calculate you GPA is you go through college, which is pretty nifty.

I wonder if they have a teachers version to track students.

MyCheckbook - VERY Powerful checkbook.

Tried that until I thought, "What if I loose my Palm?"

Handy Shopper - Great for making lists in addition to helping for shop. When used for shopping, it has mad features like putting in the price of an object at multiple stores, and what lane it's on in multiple stores. Organize just what you need by lane, you already know what it's going to cost and you're out of the grocery store like a speed demon (important when you're going with kids).

That sounds interesting except for the isles/lanes. They are constantly moving things here. The idea is to keep people in the store, possibly increasing the things you purchase. It's a pain in the .... well, you know.

All free!

This is good. I should edit my post to reflect the same.

ticopelp
November 23rd, 2007, 06:06 PM
I haven't had a PDA for awhile, but when I did, I found Wordsmith, MobileDB, and Space Trader quite invaluable. The last is a game, but it's an incredibly fun game. I also used Silver Screen.

Bruce M.
January 5th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I haven't had a PDA for awhile, but when I did, I found Wordsmith, MobileDB, and Space Trader quite invaluable. The last is a game, but it's an incredibly fun game. I also used Silver Screen.

I have three games, names are linked:

Cribbage (http://www.freewarepalm.com/games/cribbage.shtml) - (free) - His homepage isn't working but the game is available at the link. I have it for nostalgia reasons, my father and I would play til all hours of the night/morning. See: What is your possession/s you are most proud of? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=631241&page=3)

and because I'm addicted to Sudoku

SuLite (http://onrsir.com/sulite.html) - (free) - light weight Sudoku game. I do medium levels between 12 and 15 minutes on the subway. :)

Sudoku (http://www.scss.com.au/family/andrew/pdas/palm/myprogs/sudoku/) - (free) - by: Andrew Gregory ~ a very well done game. And if you're stuck, the hints "explain" things, not just "do this". GREAT for learning.

aonegodman
April 1st, 2008, 11:51 PM
Hey Partner, found you here looking for Sudoku for Ubuntu, and better yet I'm trying to get wife interested in my old Palm Zire. PalmO/S 4.1 w/115mb left.

So she loves Sudoku and I followed the last link and dl'd the latest version(zip and prc).

So, I've hot-Synched it once, but now I get an error about not having "visor" installed and resetting the USB designation. I'm using the cable. :)

When I get passed this . . . how do I get the game onto my Palm? Thanks Bruce.

EDIT > ok I figured out "sudo modprobe visor" and that got me re-synced.

I'm running gnome-pilot and have FILE enabled. Placed the file "Sudoku.prc" in the folder "MyPDA" and re-synched several times, but file don't transfer.

I've done the Google thing. I got J-PILOT and installed that and no luck there.

I've tried the command line sugestions like "gpilot-install-fole -later /home/aonegodman/MyPDA/Sudoku.prc" got bash: COMMAND NOT FOUND.

Soooooooooooo . . . . waiting for lightning to strike! :lol:

Bruce M.
April 2nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Hey Partner, found you here looking for Sudoku for Ubuntu, and better yet I'm trying to get wife interested in my old Palm Zire. PalmO/S 4.1 w/115mb left.

So she loves Sudoku and I followed the last link and dl'd the latest version(zip and prc).

So, I've hot-Synched it once, but now I get an error about not having "visor" installed and resetting the USB designation. I'm using the cable. :)

When I get passed this . . . how do I get the game onto my Palm? Thanks Bruce.

EDIT > ok I figured out "sudo modprobe visor" and that got me re-synced.

I'm running gnome-pilot and have FILE enabled. Placed the file "Sudoku.prc" in the folder "MyPDA" and re-synched several times, but file don't transfer.

I've done the Google thing. I got J-PILOT and installed that and no luck there.

I've tried the command line sugestions like "gpilot-install-fole -later /home/aonegodman/MyPDA/Sudoku.prc" got bash: COMMAND NOT FOUND.

Soooooooooooo . . . . waiting for lightning to strike! :lol:

Kaboom - Flash

Hey Buddy....

Well, I use jPilot - I hate Evolution.
You can find out here at: PalmDeviceSetup (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PalmDeviceSetup) how to get hotsync working. It has never failed me.
Also, I have a special folder: ~/home/Palm with nothing in it except the files I want to sync with my Palm. jPilot recognizes that as it's place to get files for me for some reason :)

Mind you, I have to do this myself today as I just reinstalled Gnome and this is one of the reasons, I could not get it to work in Xfce.

Any problems just ask :)
Bruce

aonegodman
April 3rd, 2008, 06:14 PM
BOOOOOM!!! Knew you'd be there soon. Thanks again Bruce.

Well, I went to my laptop in the mean time(WindowsXP) Shhhh! :redface: , and installed Palm Desktop and connected to it.

All I had to do was drop the files on the desktop and they synched and d'l'd to my Palm. So I got the Sudoku on it for now. :lol:

I may just use that set up for now for transfer. But I'll keep working on a better solution under Gnome desktop. Not been able to get gnome-pilot to work right to install files.

I also found out that you can't run more than one "pilot" software at a time on Ubuntu since it captures the "rights" to that function. I was told to remove gnome-pilot in order to even try and use J-Pilot.

When I went to remove it via Synaptic it said that it had to remove the whole Gnome Desktop and libraries in order to do it, so I was hesitant on that.

I understand that both programs are basically a GUI Interface that uses the actual source command script called "gnome-sync" and "gnome-xfer" in the background and you can use them in terminal if you want to figure out the command structure.

More to follow later . . .

herbster
April 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
DateBk6 is the BOMB! I've been using it for 3 years, since about a week after I got my Treo 650. It just blows away Agendus and others. The big thing for me is instant and quick logging to contacts of a summary of the call and it whoops *** for that, among many other features.

And I cannot believe none of y'all have mentioned Minitones! (Though it would only be for the PDAs with a phone service). For so long when I first got my Treo, the ring tone/mp3 issue was all the rage. There was Ringo Pro and some others, but Minitones took the crown. You can take any MP3 off your SD card and trim it to any point in the song, boom, there's your ringtone. And it's free :D

Bruce M.
April 4th, 2008, 12:25 AM
DateBk6 is the BOMB! I've been using it for 3 years, since about a week after I got my Treo 650. It just blows away Agendus and others. The big thing for me is instant and quick logging to contacts of a summary of the call and it whoops *** for that, among many other features.

I've used DateBk since V3. It is beyond a doubt far better than anything else in the "Calendar" category. Because of it I don't use the "ToDo" application at all, just create floating appointments with no time. One less application to worry about.

Couldn't agree more with the quick logging to the Contacts. It's priceless, I use it everyday.

And I cannot believe none of y'all have mentioned Minitones! (Though it would only be for the PDAs with a phone service). For so long when I first got my Treo, the ring tone/mp3 issue was all the rage. There was Ringo Pro and some others, but Minitones took the crown. You can take any MP3 off your SD card and trim it to any point in the song, boom, there's your ringtone. And it's free :D

Well, a T|E2 isn't a phone so that's why for me. :)