PDA

View Full Version : What Bugs Will Bugs Fix Once Stable?

jsmidt
November 17th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Once a version of Ubuntu becomes stable, such as 7.10, what bugs will the devs now fix. Only security vulnerabilities? If not, what others will they fix? Do they have to be a certain severity?

Thanks in advance.

happysmileman
November 17th, 2007, 09:04 PM
In the older versions of Ubuntu I think it's only security updates or severe bugs. Most effort is in developing new version or fixing current version

rsambuca
November 17th, 2007, 09:07 PM
For the most part, they will always fix security issues first, if they can. Also, some obvious bugs have to be addressed. If you want to see the current bug lists, as well as their priority level and status you can look here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/+bugs).

23meg
November 17th, 2007, 09:49 PM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates

moe_syzlak
December 10th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Ubuntu developers do not seem to understand that user productivity is inhibited by bugs and not just merely security bugs alone.

For example, Ubuntu 7.10 (also know as Gutsy Gibbon) had this nasty bug where DNS lookups would take over 20 seconds to resolve every time! It affected all applications that used DNS. But Firefox was the most affected, because it would take 10-15 seconds for the Google main page, www.google.com, to load into the browser. This bug was fixed in earlier releases (Feisty Fawn), but it showed up in Gutsy to plague us all again.

Now, don't you think that a college student or web developer using Firefox on Ubuntu 7.10 for their tasks would have his or her productivity slowed to a crawl? Yes, it did. Ubuntu needs to change it's current policy of 'only security updates,' otherwise Ubuntu will become an abomination of Linux.

23meg
December 10th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Ubuntu 7.10 (also know as Gutsy Gibbon) had this nasty bug

Link?

but it showed up in Gutsy to plague us all again.

It didn't plague me, so it certainly didn't plague us all. May it be specific to your configuration?

Ubuntu needs to change it's current policy of 'only security updates,' otherwise Ubuntu will become an abomination of Linux.

If or when things change regarding the amount of workforce, amount of work to be done in other areas, overall risk of regressions in the main component and length of the release cycle, the policy may be tailored accordingly. For now, it's unlikely that it will, because it's made to fit the current situation.

I know that there can be painful situations where bugs of moderate impact affect people's daily usage; I've been hit by them too, but they're part of the compromise.

rsambuca
December 10th, 2007, 05:23 AM
I never had the problem either.