PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Day

mark
November 25th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Today (11/25/04) in the USA is a holiday called Thanksgiving Day. As legend would have it, the first instance of this holiday occurred (in 1621, I believe) when the Pilgrims (the first European settlers) got together with the native Indians in the "New World" for a meal to celebrate the concepts of cooperation, peaceful coexistence and a bountiful harvest.

Since that time, America has had many proud (and shameful) moments in her history. However, we still celebrate Thanksgiving Day - and with good reason.

We (citizens of the United States of America) find may things to complain about, ranging from the high price of gasoline to the recent presidential elections. But it is because we live in the "land of the free and the home of the brave" that we have the freedom, the right of choice, to make these complaints in a (very!) public manner.

I believe that Thomas Jefferson would not have had it any other way.

So as we go through our day-to-day lives, griping about this, that and the other, let's remember that we do have "things" - concepts, philosophies, ideals - to be thankful for.

Since Linux, Ubuntu and Open Source in general stand for choice, I thought this would be a good day to express my thanks to everybody out there that's a part of this "phenomenon" - and to add that I think Mr. Jefferson would have understood exactly what we're doing.

Mark Tomlinson
Santa Monica, CA, USA

zenwhen
November 25th, 2004, 06:31 PM
I am stuffed with turkey and am currently Linuxing my GNU. I am very thankful for both of these facts. :)

eNiNjA
November 25th, 2004, 06:36 PM
heh.. i didnt have to work today ..

merry christmas!

amoser
November 25th, 2004, 06:38 PM
I have got the pumpkin pie cooking right now, and of course, I as playing on my Ubunut Box. This is a great land where I live, all of the freedom the I want. I can speak what I want, when I want it, I can choose my religion (Buddhist). And most importantly, I can choose what I want on my computer. Have a great thanksgiving.

~Alan

eNiNjA
November 25th, 2004, 06:41 PM
I have got the pumpkin pie cooking right now, and of course, I as playing on my Ubunut Box. This is a great land where I live, all of the freedom the I want. I can speak what I want, when I want it, I can choose my religion (Buddhist). And most importantly, I can choose what I want on my computer. Have a great thanksgiving.

~Alan
excellent!

jdong
November 25th, 2004, 07:04 PM
I'm resting up, to get up at midnight for black friday sales -- the $499 laptop at best buy! Will be back with Ubuntu/FC3 reviews on that laptop!

Magneto
November 25th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Today (11/25/04) in the USA is a holiday called Thanksgiving Day. As legend would have it, the first instance of this holiday occurred (in 1621, I believe) when the Pilgrims (the first European settlers) got together with the native Indians in the "New World" for a meal to celebrate the concepts of cooperation, peaceful coexistence and a bountiful harvest.

Since that time, America has had many proud (and shameful) moments in her history. However, we still celebrate Thanksgiving Day - and with good reason.

We (citizens of the United States of America) find may things to complain about, ranging from the high price of gasoline to the recent presidential elections. But it is because we live in the "land of the free and the home of the brave" that we have the freedom, the right of choice, to make these complaints in a (very!) public manner.

I believe that Thomas Jefferson would not have had it any other way.

So as we go through our day-to-day lives, griping about this, that and the other, let's remember that we do have "things" - concepts, philosophies, ideals - to be thankful for.

Since Linux, Ubuntu and Open Source in general stand for choice, I thought this would be a good day to express my thanks to everybody out there that's a part of this "phenomenon" - and to add that I think Mr. Jefferson would have understood exactly what we're doing.

Mark Tomlinson
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Thomas Jefferson was a slave owner- he enslaved people for his own monetary gain while mentioning grand notions like freedom and justice - I am not thankful for that.
Just had to say that- people invoking murderers and slave holders as great people kinda bothers me.

Resume turkey day- The Lions are getting a beatdown by Indy :)

Magneto
November 25th, 2004, 07:28 PM
I'm resting up, to get up at midnight for black friday sales -- the $499 laptop at best buy! Will be back with Ubuntu/FC3 reviews on that laptop!
damn- 199 for a pc with monitor too 80gb hd 512mb ram 2.66ghz processor not bad
http://bestbuy.dailyshopper.com/lib/bestbuy//245204_b.JPG

BWF89
November 26th, 2004, 04:11 AM
I had TONS of turkey. But somehow I'm still hungry. Oh well, my mom is going to make some of her turkey this saturday (like she does every year) so it's going to be like Thanksgiving II...

I am thankful that: Bush got elected, Linux operating systems, and that my birthday is in 9 days and I'm asking for a USB Flash pen memory card!