PDA

View Full Version : Ubutu Statanic edition - Discussion thread

n3tfury
November 17th, 2007, 02:35 AM
no luck finding the Christian Edition facts thread :/

Nano Geek
November 17th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Hey guys.

I don't really appreciate you making fun of my faith. You don't need to agree with me, but you could at least follow the old saying, "If you can't say something nice, it's better to say nothing at all."

I'm sure you see where I'm coming from with this. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if I made pithy little quips about Ubuntu. And I don't appreciate it when you do the same to me.

So if you would, please stop.

daniel of sarnia
November 17th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Hey guys.

I don't really appreciate you making fun of my faith. You don't need to agree with me, but you could at least follow the old saying, "If you can't say something nice, it's better to say nothing at all."

I'm sure you see where I'm coming from with this. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if I made pithy little snips about Ubuntu. And I don't appreciate it when you do the same to me.

Sorry but no, I'll make fun of any crazy idea that has no scientific evidence supporting it that I want. At the end of the day, that's all any religion is, another crazy idea with no evidence supporting it.

Have a good one :guitar:

r76
November 17th, 2007, 05:09 AM
no luck finding the Christian Edition facts thread :/

Aren't 'facts' and 'faith' contrary concepts by definition?

Apparently there are fossil remnants of something called Windows 3.1 but that's surely impossible as first there was the Warthog (which Shuttleworth created in His wisdom) and nothing existed before He created it.

My satanic edition is licensed from Bill Gates, I wish I'd read the bit about selling him my soul in the EULA... :twisted:

Spike-X
November 17th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Hey guys.

I'm sure you see where I'm coming from with this. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if I made pithy little quips about Ubuntu. And I don't appreciate it when you do the same to me.

Nobody in this thread has said a damn thing regarding Christianity.

Nobody has the right to not be offended or not made fun of.

xArv3nx
November 17th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Sorry but no, I'll make fun of any crazy idea that has no scientific evidence supporting it that I want. At the end of the day, that's all any religion is, another crazy idea with no evidence supporting it.

Dude, stop being an *******. He asked nicely.

Oh, and btw, your reply is exactly the way a religion flame war starts.

daniel of sarnia
November 17th, 2007, 07:17 AM
what did I say that was harsh at all, "sorry" or "crazy" or was it the oh so brutal "evidence". I'm not the one that took this thread off topic in the first place either. Nothing I said was a personal attack or vulgar. Only legitimate criticism, in the face of someone trying to shut people up with opposing vies that are not even directly confrontational. Classic presumption that for some reason people should be extra sensitive to religion, as if it is any different than discussing any other idea. Your the only one here implying explicative with you '*' as if people don't know what you mean to smear me, you might as well just type the rude comment you imply. All of this still has nothing to do with ubuntu SE in witch asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33 took us off topic in the first place. In a thread that was not at all attacking his religion or him. Back on topic people!

edit: your right spike, maybe it was going to far haha

Spike-X
November 17th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Only ligament criticism...

Come on, criticising a man's connective tissue is just going too far!

jeremy
November 17th, 2007, 08:47 AM
To be honest, the fact that they made a "Satanic Edition" of a Linux distribution offends me more than any of these jokes.
I found the Ubuntu Christian Edition pretty offensive!

popch
November 17th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I don't really appreciate you making fun of my faith. (...) you wouldn't like it if I made pithy little quips about Ubuntu. And I don't appreciate it when you do the same to me.

Are you being funny?

We all know that Satanism is not your faith. Or if it is, you have hidden it so far pretty well. So how can
a thread which is poking fun at some piece of software which is named after Satan make fun of your faith?

Alternatively, where is your religion being made fun of?

And who made pithy little quips about you, and which ones?

bapoumba
November 17th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Thread split from this one: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=371471

Nano Geek
November 17th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Are you being funny?

We all know that Satanism is not your faith. Or if it is, you have hidden it so far pretty well. So how can
a thread which is poking fun at some piece of software which is named after Satan make fun of your faith?

Alternatively, where is your religion being made fun of?

And who made pithy little quips about you, and which ones?No, of course I do not worship the devil. What I didn't like was the fact that you are treating what I and several others here on the forums believe in strongly as something to make fun of. You're treating it as a fairy-tale that has no meaning.

As I said before, I am not asking you to agree with my beliefs, but I ask you to at least respect them.

Wiebelhaus
November 17th, 2007, 03:50 PM
This is a battle I've been fighting my entire life , I've given the bible 100% real chance , I've even been inducted into their cult. My Best friend is a hardcore Christian, A man I trust with my life and my families - there's no other man you would rather want around "you and yours" BUT my heart & mind reject the church & Christian beliefs like my immune system rejects the cold and deep within my mind I know my Tombstone will be carved with a 666 , you must be honest with yourself and that honesty is what makes us different but NOT enemies.

so to quote the Bible which I know from back to front.

"Let us eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die" I Cor. 15:32; also Isa. 22:13

matthew
November 17th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Sigh. I'm moving this thread to Recurring Discussions where it belongs.

Old news, old arguments.

n3tfury
November 17th, 2007, 04:00 PM
*throws horns*

daniel of sarnia
November 17th, 2007, 06:44 PM
You're treating it as a fairy-tale that has no meaning.

Well when their is no evidence to support it at all, why should we not treat it as a fairy tale. I think it's fare to say christens treat Greek gods like Zeus as a fairy tale why should you be given a double standard?

oneadvent
November 17th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Are you being funny?

Hey now. It is mine. What you trying to say? I use SE and love it. Now to make it burn the fingers of my enemies.

(Joking about being mad, not about the religion.)

I think that it is more in good humor. I am not offended by CE, I just don't use it. How can you be offended by something you don't use?

Josh

smartboyathome
November 17th, 2007, 10:27 PM

By the way, there is plenty of historical evidence for a lot of the events in the bible. Look up these events, and you will see that they have been connected to past stuff. :)

orange2k
November 17th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I`ve installed the Satanic edition 6 days, 6 hours, and 6 minutes ago...

I think its quite cool.

What amuses me most about this edition, is the fact that the Whitebuntu folks hoped that Satanic Ubuntu folks would like to advertise their site...:lolflag:

Satan may be in hell, but he aint no racist, thats for sure...\\:D/

daniel of sarnia
November 17th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I`ve installed the Satanic edition 6 days, 6 hours, and 6 minutes ago...

I think its quite cool.

What amuses me most about this edition, is the fact that the Whitebuntu folks hoped that Satanic Ubuntu folks would like to advertise their site...:lolflag:

Satan may be in hell, but he aint no racist, thats for sure...\\:D/

Holy crap, whiteubuntu is real. I wonder if it violates the GPL which forces you to share with everyone. Defiantly not excluding any race or religion.

bdaniel
November 17th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I will not take sides in this discussion, but I think a short observation is important. So many absurd wars have been started in the past because people can think different to each other.

It is only natural we have our own ideas and beliefs about the world, it is our freedom to do so as long as we don't hurt others and respect their rights.

I am a science Science, but I accept that it is possible that our theories might be wrong. After all, that's how we build our knowledge, step by step, wrong idea by wrong idea. Theories could be thought as something we base upon and think to be correct to research our world and try to understand how it works. It will be arrogant to just shout out loud that only we hold the truth. We know very well that theories have been proven wrong in the past, then modified to reflect eventual experimental results. I think we can say that a valid theory is that one that has not been proved wrong yet. :)

We have to agree that others have different beliefs and faiths and respect it. Agree to disagree and respect each other.

bdaniel

daniel of sarnia
November 17th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Idea's that are not based on evidence are not theory's, Science is a method. You start with a question and hypothesize on what experiments would have to be done to answer that question with evidence from the experiments. Religion starts the other way, with a assumption and looks for ways evidence can fit to support their preconceived notions. which is conformation bias, and not how the scientific method works.

xArv3nx
November 18th, 2007, 02:05 AM
what did I say that was harsh at all
AFTER he told you to stop insulting Christianity, you go ahead and call his religion crazy.

Just think about it for a second, if you were Christian, and someone called your religion crazy.. wouldn't you feel insulted? Especially after you told them to stop in a NICE way.

you might as well just type the rude comment you imply
If I type it, I will get warned. :)

Spike-X
November 18th, 2007, 02:34 AM
AFTER he told you to stop insulting Christianity...

Which nobody was doing before he started crying over nothing.

Nano Geek
November 18th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Sigh. I'm moving this thread to Recurring Discussions where it belongs.

Old news, old arguments.I'm sorry if this bothers you Matthew, but I don't appreciate people making fun of what I, and several other forum members, believe in.

I will not take sides in this discussion, but I think a short observation is important. So many absurd wars have been started in the past because people can think different to each other.

It is only natural we have our own ideas and beliefs about the world, it is our freedom to do so as long as we don't hurt others and respect their rights.

I am a science Science, but I accept that it is possible that our theories might be wrong. After all, that's how we build our knowledge, step by step, wrong idea by wrong idea. Theories could be thought as something we base upon and think to be correct to research our world and try to understand how it works. It will be arrogant to just shout out loud that only we hold the truth. We know very well that theories have been proven wrong in the past, then modified to reflect eventual experimental results. I think we can say that a valid theory is that one that has not been proved wrong yet. :)

We have to agree that others have different beliefs and faiths and respect it. Agree to disagree and respect each other.

bdanielYes, that's what I was trying to say.

Which nobody was doing before he started crying over nothing.Well, as I said before, I don't like it that they are taking what I believe is something very serious as something to make jokes over. I'm sure you won't agree with me, but that's why I asked you guys to stop.

Spike-X
November 18th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Well, as I said before, I don't like it that they are taking what I believe is something very serious as something to make jokes over. I'm sure you won't agree with me, but that's why I asked you guys to stop.

So you actually believe there is a being named 'Satan' who will take you to a place called 'Hell' after you die if you haven't been a good little boy or girl?

yeah, I can't imagine why you'd be thin-skinned over something like that.

popch
November 18th, 2007, 11:40 AM
I'm sorry if this bothers you Matthew, but I don't appreciate people making fun of what I, and several other forum members, believe in.

Well, as I said before, I don't like it that they are taking what I believe is something very serious as something to make jokes over. I'm sure you won't agree with me, but that's why I asked you guys to stop.

You may not be aware of the fact, that the christmas season used to be a Christian holyday (as parts of its name still indicate), and that the western civilization has succeeded in perverting it in a merrymaking and most of all money making travesty of the original spiritual experience.

In that vein, I find it passingly strange that you adorn the symbol representing yourself in this forum with the main sign of that perversion of a Christian festival.

I really do not like do be a spoilsport, but I ask you to reconsider your choice of atavar.

Please be aware of the fact that you can easily avoid any thread discussing distributions geared to believers of religions other than yours. In most cases, they are clearly titled. If not, you have still the option of ignoring the thread once you become aware of its content.

I, however, can not take any precautions which prevent me from seeing that obnoxious brown cap as it is bound to pop up without warning in any kind of thread.

So, I beg of you, do what you ask of others.

Nano Geek
November 18th, 2007, 04:45 PM
So you actually believe there is a being named 'Satan' who will take you to a place called 'Hell' after you die if you haven't been a good little boy or girl?

yeah, I can't imagine why you'd be thin-skinned over something like that.Yes, I do believe in Satan. It isn't quite like you said, but that's close enough for right now.

You may not be aware of the fact, that the christmas season used to be a Christian holyday (as parts of its name still indicate), and that the western civilization has succeeded in perverting it in a merrymaking and most of all money making travesty of the original spiritual experience.

In that vein, I find it passingly strange that you adorn the symbol representing yourself in this forum with the main sign of that perversion of a Christian festival.

I really do not like do be a spoilsport, but I ask you to reconsider your choice of atavar.

Please be aware of the fact that you can easily avoid any thread discussing distributions geared to believers of religions other than yours. In most cases, they are clearly titled. If not, you have still the option of ignoring the thread once you become aware of its content.

I, however, can not take any precautions which prevent me from seeing that obnoxious brown cap as it is bound to pop up without warning in any kind of thread.

So, I beg of you, do what you ask of others.Brown cap? I'm not sure I know what you mean. But this thread is not about my avatar, about my beliefs, or how I treat others.

I was only asking if you would be somewhat respectful of the Christian faith. You have answered. So lets just drop it OK?

Artificial Intelligence
November 18th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Thread closed, as the discussion moved towards which are in violation of the forum guide lines.