View Full Version : Usng R for simulation

November 17th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to Linux, and have just downloaded R (to install it on my home machine). I want to use R for a simulation project, but I don't know if it is possible and how. Here is the description:

I want to give thousands of Means and Standard Deviations to the program, and get the returned p-value (and Confidence Interval if possible). The Mean, SD pairs are stored in a MySQL database (can be exported to a text file, if R works with them better) and I want to save the p-values in a separate table of the DB.

What I want to know is:

1) How to run t-test based on Mean and SD in R?

2) How to get the list of Mean and SDs from the DB/text file?

3) How to save the returned p-values to the DB/text file?

I would be grateful if you could help me with some of the above, or at least show me exactly where to find relevant information.

Btw, I have used SPSS in Windows for years, and have some experience with STATA, so don't bother yourself about the jargon.

November 17th, 2007, 05:42 PM

November 17th, 2007, 08:03 PM
1. See previous post
2. Use the 'mysql -e' command to extract data from the DB, into a text form. The command will take a bit of research and practice. Run '?read.table' in R, for instructions explaining how to import information from the filesystem into R
3. Check out '?write.table' in R.

November 17th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks for your replies. It'll take me some time to try to apply them. If I had a question, I'll come back.