PDA

View Full Version : Any other Oklahomans celebrating?

Frak
November 17th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Nov 16 was Oklahoma centennial, and was wondering what other Sooners were doing to celebrate.

I didn't have to go to work today, so I watched Oklahoma!, and then wondered why I watched it.

TeaSwigger
November 17th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Not being from Oklahoma, I didn't celebrate it and in fact had no idea. No matter what state you're from - and to some extent perhaps no matter where you're from, period - it is interesting to reflect on the changes that accompany the anniversary. The (few) folks I've met who were from Oklahoma hardly cared, except that said they were glad to leave. What would the people so passionate about their lands becoming the state of Oklahoma have to say about the feelings their ancestors didn't have for it? On the other hand, it's an awesome change from the range wars to today with a heck of a lot of positives to go with it.

I didn't have to go to work today, so I watched Oklahoma!, and then wondered why I watched it.

Shoot there could be all kindsa reasons.

- To test your video card?

- To test your audio card?

- To be reminded that our home setups often don't match the experience the (better) old theaters had, and that can help to leave some films like this feeling flat?

- To wonder why they made such a mindless mangle of the peddler role?

- To ponder why Hollywood was so bad with accents?

- To confirm that the eastman 70mm print has appalling damage and the 35mm Technicolor is still lovely?

- To wonder what I Cain't Say No would sound like if it were sung by a good singer?

- To view the second or third rate film work and transfer given to most any film if the original production folks aren't still active in the industry?

- To marvel that Rod Steiger stayed awake?

- To see if you could spot any differences between the 35mm and 70mm versions?

- To wonder how those ladies got into those corsets let alone tried to dance?

- To wonder if those panaramas are now parking lots or how the corn is doing under the effects of Global Warming?

- To appreciate the work 20th Century Fox's sound department could do back then - that is, best one can through an indifferent solid state transfer and a ton of smothering digital signal processing?

- To wonder why they had such delightful music and flat, careless and apparantly sleeping script writers?

- To ponder why they call him Curly?

- To hear some decent orchestrations of 'standards'?

- To catch some z's at Jud's psuedo-funeral?

- To wonder if Shirley Jones was ever your kind?

- To get yourself ready for watching the theatre version?

- To enjoy a few moments like seeing a steam locomotive :)

Cain't say... :popcorn:

Frak
November 17th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Not being from Oklahoma, I didn't celebrate it and in fact had no idea. No matter what state you're from - and to some extent perhaps no matter where you're from, period - it is interesting to reflect on the changes that accompany the anniversary. The (few) folks I've met who were from Oklahoma hardly cared, except that said they were glad to leave. What would the people so passionate about their lands becoming the state of Oklahoma have to say about the feelings their ancestors didn't have for it? On the other hand, it's an awesome change from the range wars to today with a heck of a lot of positives to go with it.

It depends on who you ask. I like Oklahoma, just don't like some of the laws and some of our politicians. We have the highest divorce/teen pregnancy rate in the nation. But I like it here, just because it's where I grew up and it's my kinda folks.

JAPrufrock
November 17th, 2007, 10:02 PM
I'm still celebrating the Red Sox winning the World Series. Whoops, wrong thread. Man, I gotta get it together.....

jr.gotti
November 17th, 2007, 10:43 PM
TeaSwigger...that was amazing. You are my hero.

TeaSwigger
November 18th, 2007, 03:52 AM
TeaSwigger...that was amazing. You are my hero.

Thank you, thank you :mrgreen:

And though the details may have all changed, there's still some truth to be found. To this very day, if you've never been to a big city and you go to Kansas City on a Friday, by Saturday you'll have learned a thing or two.

:-\"

Frak
November 18th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Thank you, thank you :mrgreen:

And though the details may have all changed, there's still some truth to be found. To this very day, if you've never been to a big city and you go to Kansas City on a Friday, by Saturday you'll have learned a thing or two.

:-\"
I, and some many others, have been to New York countless times, Tokyo once, and yet, I nor much anybody else would leave this place.

TeaSwigger
November 18th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I, and some many others, have been to New York countless times, Tokyo once, and yet, I nor much anybody else would leave this place.

Huh. That's as good as a testament as you can get. Do you refer to KC or the state in general? What do you like about it? Are things well integrated or do you think there's a strong urban / rural divide (a definate diff out here)? Frankly the tornadoes kinda scare me off (but should I talk, what with quakes out here). Beside that, about all one's likely to hear about OK out here is rare mention of KC BBQ (and folks probably think Kansas there). That despite what I gather that it's easily among the top-growing economically in the nation. But then it's hard to get much of interest from the news etc. So talk it up if I can get you to ;)

I think I might be able to identify at that. The area I'm at isn't a single chip off a block of OC, Tulsa etc as far as size, what's around, etc. It's pretty small and very, very quiet, and can boast just about nothing (except perhaps an old Mission, a sourdough bakery and the Madonna Inn...). One hears a lot of complaint & folks leaving, but the only reason I've thought of moving elsewhere is the rediculous housing costs. Anywho despite everything, this next week (if all goes through) I'll be moving up to the next town and sticking it out. It's home.

Frak
November 18th, 2007, 06:50 PM
The main reason many live here is because of it's quaint charm, and because you will get away with nothing. Crime is almost none here, because one bank is robbed and everybody points at David... again....

Things are well integrated, there are not much difference between city folk and the boons. There hasn't been a tornado here in the last 8 or 9 years (knock on wood).

As for the difference between the city and rural, in OKC you can go from Coaches (sports bar that watches over Red Hawks stadium) to Marigold (Reservation 2 weeks in advance please) in about a 2 block radius. Regular and Upscale people really blend in with each other, and their really isn't a difference in class unless you are extremely poverish or extremely rich.

ntowakbh
November 18th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Nov 16 was Oklahoma centennial, and was wondering what other Sooners were doing to celebrate.

Glad to see another Oklahoman. :)

We pretty much did nothing, I heard fireworks going off almost everywhere though.

kevdog
November 18th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Celebrating that Oklahoma win over Texas Tech last night?? I think not!!

Frak
November 18th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Celebrating that Oklahoma win over Texas Tech last night?? I think not!!
Yeah, ok, that's totally on topic.

kevdog
November 18th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Not to be a smartass but wasn't this the topic?

Re: Any other Oklahomans celebrating?

Frak
November 18th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Not to be a smartass but wasn't this the topic?

Re: Any other Oklahomans celebrating?
Are any Oklahomans celebrating the centennial. It's in the first post.

kevdog
November 18th, 2007, 10:03 PM
My fault -- I didnt read the first post -- I just thought it kind of was an open ended question.