PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Compiz Plugin

PatrickFisher
November 17th, 2007, 06:33 AM
I've recently been busy adapting the "Snow" plugin for Compiz so it works well with leaves. I've uploaded a preliminary video here (youtube) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHLDtJXc8fg)

Before you guys say "Oh, you just changed the pictures", that's not true (it looks really awful if you do). I've adapted the plugin so that the leaves rotate semi-randomly and drift more. I would like to develop this plugin further, but there is almost no point if there is no support from you guys.

So, what do you think? Would you install it?

Future development:
-Completely randomize rotation
-Better imitate left-right movement of real leaves
-Get permission from Snow script writers to distribute (big step)
-Better integrate with Compiz Settings manager.
-Gather ideas from community

-grubby
November 17th, 2007, 06:37 AM
I didn't even notice that as a desktop until I looked on the left and saw your desktop bar

FuturePilot
November 17th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Wow! With that wallpaper it looks like it's real! The movement looks so real!

Jose Catre-Vandis
November 17th, 2007, 07:07 AM
It's great, where can i get it, and the wallpaper :)

PatrickFisher
November 17th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the support guys! So far, it looks like I'll be continuing my development.

Unfortunately, I cannot release the plugin now. It uses large chunks of code from the Snow plugin, and I really do want permission from them before I release this to everyone. Plus, it's simply not ready (it doesn't even show up properly in Effects Manager)

but hey, in the mean time, here's the background (http://www.sverus.com/widescreen/Autumn_Park_Wall_Mural_WG271XL.jpg). I will attach a couple of the leaf textures too. If you use them with the Snow plugin, you should get a reasonable effect.

I wouldn't mind a bit of help from someone who would know how to integrate the plugin into the Manager. Please message me if you think you can help.

Thanks again guys!

jespdj
November 17th, 2007, 11:21 AM
It looks really nice! :) When it's ready, please tell us where we can get it! :KS

Golyadkin
November 17th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Cool, this reminds me of the ancient program by Rick Jansen ( http://www.euronet.nl/~rja/ ) who made xsnow for windows, and later Autumn Leaves, with mushrooms, variable winds, playing squirrels, heapes of leaves, etc. Very cool that you do this.

PatrickFisher
November 18th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Well, I did a bunch of work on it today and since it seemed pretty popular, I decided to release it.

I made a how-to here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3792520#post3792520

cabaro
November 18th, 2007, 07:42 AM
I just installed this and it works great. Looks very nice.

Good work!

nikoPSK
November 24th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I like how the leaves sway, tell me how hard is it to make plugins?

PatrickFisher
November 24th, 2007, 11:41 PM
I like how the leaves sway, tell me how hard is it to make plugins?

It's not too hard. You'll need to know some C/C++ before you even try though. The rest I got from trial and error.

I know that there are tutorials out there (check the Compiz community forums), but I hate tutorials, so I just kept trying different things.

Oh yeah, one piece of wisdom to pass on:

It's not a good idea to make a plugin start on boot while you're editing it. :)

ticopelp
November 25th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Incredible. Well done.

nikoPSK
November 25th, 2007, 12:14 AM
It's not too hard. You'll need to know some C/C++ before you even try though. The rest I got from trial and error.

I know that there are tutorials out there (check the Compiz community forums), but I hate tutorials, so I just kept trying different things.

Oh yeah, one piece of wisdom to pass on:

It's not a good idea to make a plugin start on boot while you're editing it. :)

I know some c/c++, but only a bit. I'm only in grd 8, I could get a book from the library.

stunner
November 25th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Very, very lovely.

Linuxratty
November 25th, 2007, 03:02 AM
I've recently been busy adapting . I would like to develop this plugin further, but there is almost no point if there is no support from you guys.

Would I install it!?
Do ducks swim?
Do birds fly?
Do rats dig?
Do squirrels climb?
if there was an easy way to install it,I'd do so in a heartbeat.
Ive also sent a link over to Klikit Linux and this also needs to go on Digg.
I'd like to see a springtime one with a budding and blooming cherry tree.

DoctorMO
November 26th, 2007, 02:00 PM
OK I got it installed and it's pretty good; I have found a bug though.

Larger leaves are naturally closer to the viewers point of view, yet they are not on top with tiny leaves crossing their paths it ruins the effect somewhat.

Make sure that the bigger the leaf is, the higher z-index it has.

PatrickFisher
November 27th, 2007, 02:16 AM
OK I got it installed and it's pretty good; I have found a bug though.

Larger leaves are naturally closer to the viewers point of view, yet they are not on top with tiny leaves crossing their paths it ruins the effect somewhat.

Make sure that the bigger the leaf is, the higher z-index it has.

Huh. Earlier today I couldn't reproduce this, but now I can. It's interesting because size is determined by z-index. Well, I'll definitely work on it and include the update in the combined plugin.

Exonimus
November 29th, 2007, 04:46 PM
nice! you should make this an all-seasons kind of thing! :D

anyway, I created a little variation for myself because I wanted to have something for next spring(actually, I did it just for the heck of it, I like messing around), with some falling flowers =) Only thing I did was change the pictures. I think it looks kind of colorful :P it's just for personal use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOuLa34Qp-Q

PatrickFisher
November 29th, 2007, 05:29 PM

anyway, I created a little variation for myself because I wanted to have something for next spring(actually, I did it just for the heck of it, I like messing around), with some falling flowers =) Only thing I did was change the pictures. I think it looks kind of colorful :P it's just for personal use.

If you send me the images you used, I'll include them in Elements.

n3tfury
November 29th, 2007, 05:44 PM
That's great! keep up the good work and i'll be looking forward to the plugin too :)

Tristam Green
November 29th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Simply incredible. I love it :D

Exonimus
November 29th, 2007, 07:54 PM
sure, I'll send them to you.

edit: I hate to say this, but I have no clue whatsoever how to include attachments in my forum posts =/

DoctorMO
November 29th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Huh. Earlier today I couldn't reproduce this, but now I can. It's interesting because size is determined by z-index. Well, I'll definitely work on it and include the update in the combined plugin.

Curious, well good look with your quest.

With the spring one, we need to have Japanese cherry blossoms falling down.

RAV TUX
November 30th, 2007, 01:08 AM
I've recently been busy adapting the "Snow" plugin for Compiz so it works well with leaves. I've uploaded a preliminary video here (youtube) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHLDtJXc8fg)

Before you guys say "Oh, you just changed the pictures", that's not true (it looks really awful if you do). I've adapted the plugin so that the leaves rotate semi-randomly and drift more. I would like to develop this plugin further, but there is almost no point if there is no support from you guys.

Future development:
-Completely randomize rotation
-Better imitate left-right movement of real leaves
-Get permission from Snow script writers to distribute (big step)
-Better integrate with Compiz Settings manager.
-Gather ideas from community
*****************Very nice.

Isn't snow under GPL? I would love to try this one day, perhaps you could make a realease for e17? perhaps as an animated background?

also it would be cool if a leaf stuck to the screen and then blew off. ;)

Curious, well good look with your quest.

With the spring one, we need to have Japanese cherry blossoms falling down.

My thoughts exactely about the Japanese Cherry Blossoms. ;)

prodigalson666
November 30th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Looks great would definently use it!!

nikoPSK
November 30th, 2007, 02:47 AM
I like ravs suggestions. Also the water plugin should have some other features I was ranting about to my buddy, but now forgot...

RAV TUX
November 30th, 2007, 02:53 AM
I like ravs suggestions. Also the water plugin should have some other features I was ranting about to my buddy, but now forgot...
The leaves could fall on a reflecting pool of water, something like MC Eschers "Three Worlds", with Japanese Koi below the water leaves on top and trees reflecting from above?

reference:

MC Escher "Three Worlds"
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=51823&d=1196387741

Inspired image:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=51824&d=1196387741

When the Leaves or even Cherry Blossoms hit the water the water effect would kick in.

nikoPSK
November 30th, 2007, 03:46 AM
awesome idea! I love Escher btw.;)

chewearn
November 30th, 2007, 05:22 AM
This plug-in is awesome!
:popcorn:

but... if you are taking feedback:

I got screen artifacts after enabling this plug-in. In my set-up, I turned on Desktop Cube, and enable cube opacity = 0. Then I also have dock opacity=70 (in General Options)

First, this plug-in invalid the dock opacity. Second, while the plug-in is on (leaves are falling), the side cubes (left and right) will flash every time a new window is created.

Just a feedback, it is still a very awesome plug-in, and I will continue to use it despite the minor hick-up.

RAV TUX
November 30th, 2007, 06:21 AM
The leaves could fall on a reflecting pool of water, something like MC Eschers "Three Worlds", with Japanese Koi below the water leaves on top and trees reflecting from above?

reference:

MC Escher "Three Worlds"
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=51823&d=1196387741

Inspired image:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=51824&d=1196387741

When the Leaves or even Cherry Blossoms hit the water the water effect would kick in.

awesome idea! I love Escher btw.;)I would have the leaves fall at a slower rate also.

-grubby
November 30th, 2007, 06:23 AM
I would have the leaves fall at a slower rate also.

About those Ideas, I think that would be great....having leaves floating in the water

nikoPSK
November 30th, 2007, 06:29 AM
I still don't remember my water rants...:(

Exonimus
November 30th, 2007, 03:28 PM
There you go, there's a pm with the images in your inbox! =) I might see if I can get a good japanese cherry blossom image :)

maniacmusician
December 9th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Have you considered just joining the Compiz Fusion team? It's quite possible, and I'm sure they would welcome your help with other stuff as well.

PatrickFisher
December 9th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Have you considered just joining the Compiz Fusion team? It's quite possible, and I'm sure they would welcome your help with other stuff as well.

As much as I'd love to, I don't really have the time or ability. Typically I do coding when I'm procrastinating from studying, and since I'm going out on an internship right away, I won't have my usual procrastination time. :P

maniacmusician
December 9th, 2007, 08:12 PM
As much as I'd love to, I don't really have the time or ability. Typically I do coding when I'm procrastinating from studying, and since I'm going out on an internship right away, I won't have my usual procrastination time. :P
If you joined the community, it would at least be easier to submit your plugin directly into their git repos to make it part of compiz-fusion. I'm sure people would love the plugin.

PatrickFisher
December 9th, 2007, 08:19 PM
If you joined the community, it would at least be easier to submit your plugin directly into their git repos to make it part of compiz-fusion. I'm sure people would love the plugin.

Well then, maybe I will. We'll see how long it takes me to get Elements together first, because I'd much rather have that in git than Autumn.

spiralx
May 4th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Ok, I'm officially lost now. Patrick, I am writing here because although there is another "Elements" thread, Search can't find it. I've downloaded and (I think, there was an abort message at the end) your newer "Elements" thing, but don't know how to locate it as a plugin. Ubuntu's "Help" is no help at all. I'm running 9.04, by the way.