PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to say Thanks

iceshaft07
September 1st, 2005, 07:32 AM
Hey, I just wanted to say thanks.

I searched your forums for a good amount of time..I came across an article describing the kind of people you should try to convert to ubuntu.

It taught me that I was not looking for linux, rather I was looking for something other than windows.

I just wanted to say thank you, for making me realize that I am a windows "Power User" or as the english teacher described me, a "Troll".

I realized that Linux is kind of like legos, rather than a car built in a package. I feel very enlightened.

I put the time and effort into getting Ubuntu working, and my problems are starting to clear up. Thanks.

Also, thank you for putting up with all the others of my kind. I now have the confidence to get this thing working. I've spent a lot of time working on this on my own, and I finally feel like I have learned something worth knowing. Soon my computer will be filled with all the windows alternatives I need.

Thanks
-Iceshaft07

matthew
September 1st, 2005, 07:38 AM
Glad to hear that the pieces are starting to come together. I hope you continue to enjoy the process and that your pleasure only increases.

Lord Illidan
September 1st, 2005, 08:01 AM
A troll is one who posts arrogantly, flames, and who thinks that his way of thinking is the right way.
People who thank other people are definitely not trolls...

matthew
September 1st, 2005, 08:07 AM
A troll is one who posts arrogantly, flames, and who thinks that his way of thinking is the right way.
and generally posts with an intent of stirring up trouble by starting arguments

People who thank other people are definitely not trolls...
Agreed. You are definitely not a troll.

benplaut
September 1st, 2005, 08:17 AM
as much as i chance being flamed for saying this, oinux is not for everyone. as a windows power user myself, i had a helluva time adjusting to the new environment- like anything else, it takes time to get used to.

now, about a year later, i am constantly finding subtle flaws in windows that really hinder work (and play, for that matter)

may thy penguins never adandon thee! :grin:

-Ben

poofyhairguy
September 1st, 2005, 09:11 AM
It taught me that I was not looking for linux, rather I was looking for something other than windows.

I just wanted to say thank you, for making me realize that I am a windows "Power User" or as the english teacher described me, a "Troll".

Hey, me too when I started a year ago. I just wanted something "better." And I can't program my way out of a "hello world " loop. But I like Ubuntu too.

Its because when I relearn things, its always like "thats a neat way to do it" rather than "I have to remember to click in that order if I want that to happen again.

Welcome and stay. but I had to move this.

darkmatter
September 1st, 2005, 09:50 AM
Welcome iceshaft07. :smile:

Glad to hear that you are finding yourself capable of adapting to the changes you've encountered during your migration.

Hope you stick with it. ;-)

Hobbsee
September 1st, 2005, 10:05 AM
may thy penguins never adandon thee! :grin:

-Ben

LOL! Love it! I'm very tempted to stick that in my many signatures over the internet.

Ever since I started to dual boot windows has annoyed me more and more - as soon as i figure out how to use dreamweaver with wine, or NVU, my windows will probably get turned into a pure gaming machine, not connected to the internet, and kubuntu will be the predominantly used operating system on my computer. Yay!

thepcdoctor
September 1st, 2005, 12:01 PM
Reassuring words guys (and girls) for someone who installed the OS only 2 days ago and is struggling to make the transition from Windows. Although this forum is for 'absolute beginners' most of the posts are gobbledigook to me...I obviously have a way to go before I make it to absolute beginner status...

weekend warrior
September 1st, 2005, 12:11 PM
benplaut wrote:
as much as i chance being flamed for saying this, oinux is not for everyone That's so true "oinux" is just for pigs - oink oink!

(sorry couldn't resist) ;-)

Brunellus
September 1st, 2005, 01:50 PM
That's so true "oinux" is just for pigs - oink oink!

(sorry couldn't resist) ;-)
yeah, you install it onto a FAT partition.

Brunellus
September 1st, 2005, 01:55 PM
Hey, I just wanted to say thanks.

I searched your forums for a good amount of time..I came across an article describing the kind of people you should try to convert to ubuntu.

I realized that Linux is kind of like legos, rather than a car built in a package. I feel very enlightened.

I put the time and effort into getting Ubuntu working, and my problems are starting to clear up. Thanks.

Also, thank you for putting up with all the others of my kind. I now have the confidence to get this thing working. I've spent a lot of time working on this on my own, and I finally feel like I have learned something worth knowing. Soon my computer will be filled with all the windows alternatives I need.

Thanks
-Iceshaft07
It's not often we get posts like this. It's actually rather heartening.

n00b-ness (n00bitude?) is a continuum, a matter of degree. I'm getting comfortable with Linux now, and this is my second distribution in a year (I spent about four months on SuSE, and ditched it for Ubuntu, and boy am I glad).

Moving to a new OS is like moving to a foreign city. You might not understand the language. The customs can be alternately charming and baffling. You don't know where anything is, and your appliances might not even plug into the wall.

After a few days, weeks, months, years, you begin to soak up enough knowledge and context to call yourself local. You know the bus schedules, where the markets are, a nice place to drink. You find a cafe where you pretend to read the newspaper you can still only just understand while flriting and chatting with the locals. You develop a taste for the food, even.

Every so often, you get homesick, but you put it aside--there's work to be done, after all, and lots of things to see.

xmastree
September 1st, 2005, 02:03 PM
Moving to a new OS is like moving to a foreign city.That's a good analogy.
And speaking as a British citizen living in the Philippines, I can say just how true that is.
We ought to call it Linux culture shock

rjwood
September 1st, 2005, 02:29 PM
Reassuring words guys (and girls) for someone who installed the OS only 2 days ago and is struggling to make the transition from Windows. Although this forum is for 'absolute beginners' most of the posts are gobbledigook to me...I obviously have a way to go before I make it to absolute beginner status...

Just stay on these forums as much as possible. I am 49 years old, so learning new things to me is very difficult. I only installed Ubuntu a couple of months ago. I didn't know anything except click and get excited. Now because of just reading and participating as much as I can I have more confidence. Like finding yourself in an unfamilure place, in the beginning your emotions are strong but, if you just relax and sit for a while you become used to your surrounings and can function and even get to like where you are. The people here truly are great too. Good luck!!!!

Brunellus
September 1st, 2005, 02:35 PM
Just stay on these forums as much as possible. I am 49 years old, so learning new things to me is very difficult.

I don't believe this for a minute.

Joseph Conrad was about that age when he started writing English--which wasn't his first language. Hell, it wasn't his second or his third language either--it was his FOURTH. He never learned to speak English without a pronounced (Polish) accent. And yet, he ended up one of the greatest novelists in that language ever.

Why do old people give up so easily on their capacities to learn?

Lord Illidan
September 1st, 2005, 02:41 PM
Because their way of thinking has become entrenched, and they are not willing to adapt...
They can learn new things..

My father, 47 is studying for an MBA certificate, and he is a doctor.. so he is learning things he didn't know before, but he is doing very well.

rjwood
September 1st, 2005, 02:41 PM
I don't believe this for a minute.

Joseph Conrad was about that age when he started writing English--which wasn't his first language. Hell, it wasn't his second or his third language either--it was his FOURTH. He never learned to speak English without a pronounced (Polish) accent. And yet, he ended up one of the greatest novelists in that language ever.

Why do old people give up so easily on their capacities to learn?

Your probably right but I have insecurities too you know. Maybe I still need to learn things in life too. Thanks for the wake up call though. ;-)

rjwood
September 1st, 2005, 02:45 PM
Because their way of thinking has become entrenched, and they are not willing to adapt...
They can learn new things..

My father, 47 is studying for an MBA certificate, and he is a doctor.. so he is learning things he didn't know before, but he is doing very well.

I thought that was the jist of my message. I was only encouraging pcdoctor to stick with it. My difficulty to learn new things at my age is my problem. I am well aware of it. But I do love your youthful enthusiasm---don't ever lose it. Thanks again!!

matthew
September 1st, 2005, 07:13 PM
Moving to a new OS is like moving to a foreign city.
Brilliant analogy. I'll be using it, with your permission of course. :)