PDA

View Full Version : Time to upgrade the cellphone, and it's harder than buying a new computer!

lunaz
November 16th, 2007, 11:42 PM
I've used a motorola v something since 2006 & I've been happy enough with it, but now I want something with bluetooth for the headset. Mp3 ringtones would be nice but not necessary. I hate text messaging & I never use the cameras. What's a good start? Should I be looking for bluetooth 1.x or 2.x? Does it matter?

marco123
November 17th, 2007, 12:10 AM
http://www.gsmarena.com/ is a decent site with reviews and specifications.

I'm thinking of upgrading my RAZR V3i to the RAZR2 V8 by the end of the year. If you like Motorola the RAZR2 would be the place to start in my opinion.:)

mips
November 17th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I could also do with a phone but want something that does 3G/HSDPA.

ComplexNumber
November 17th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I've used a motorola v something since 2006 & I've been happy enough with it, but now I want something with bluetooth for the headset. Mp3 ringtones would be nice but not necessary. I hate text messaging & I never use the cameras. What's a good start? Should I be looking for bluetooth 1.x or 2.x? Does it matter?
a few questions:
a) what's your budget?
b) are you on contract or PAYG (it seems obvious that you're on PAYG, but i just wanted to confirm)?
c) can you expand a lot more on your requirements, please? every new phone has bluetooth headset compatibility, and virtually every new phone has mp3 ringtones.
d) i notice that you're in the states. so do you absolutely require the 850 band? ie do you need a quadband phone?
e) what form factors do you prefer - slider, clamshell, candybar?

the main difference between bluetooth 1 and 2 is is the speed and distance.

budget? other features required?

zekopeko
November 17th, 2007, 04:30 PM

i believe RAZR2 has HDSPA/3G

ComplexNumber
November 17th, 2007, 04:43 PM
i believe RAZR2 has HDSPA/3G
the v9 does but the v8 doesn't (there are 2 RAZR2's).

timpino
November 17th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I would say check out P1i from sonyericson, it has bt2 with a2dp, 3g but not hdspa, it also has a special qwerty keyboard that does feel a little strange from the get go, but realy grows on you. If you prefer using the stylus to write with you can and it does support t9, so if you hate texting you might just get fond of it with this phone.

did i mention it has 802.11b with wpa, rss reader, opera mobile browser and comes with a bt gps unit (at least in sweden it does)

oh and btw sorry about spelling I am writing this from my phone.

mips
November 17th, 2007, 08:24 PM
budget? other features required?

As cheap as possible. I basically just use a phone for calls (want good quality), text, alarm.

I'm considering getting a 3G/HSDPA usb adapter but I wont use it that often as I have adsl at home but would be nice to have connectivity on my laptop when i'm away and I though I could kill two birds with one stone if I got a phone that supports HSDPA. Obviously it has to work with Linux ;)

ComplexNumber
November 17th, 2007, 08:47 PM
As cheap as possible. I basically just use a phone for calls (want good quality), text, alarm.

I'm considering getting a 3G/HSDPA usb adapter but I wont use it that often as I have adsl at home but would be nice to have connectivity on my laptop when i'm away and I though I could kill two birds with one stone if I got a phone that supports HSDPA. Obviously it has to work with Linux ;)
i suppose you could a cheap and early 3G phone such as the motorola e1070, but i doubt that you will find that many available now. they weren't a flagship phone, so their sales were limited. motos tend to have great phone features - call quality and reception, etc.
my currrent phone(ie samsung u600) allows modem connectivity so that you can plug your laptop into your phone to use the phone as the modem, but no 3G/HSDPA.

you could try out the following: samsung u700, moto v6, SE w910i, and moto v9.

Mazza558
November 17th, 2007, 09:17 PM
In the UK, you can get a PayGo Sony Ericcson K800i (3.2mp camera) for £80.

Dimitriid
November 17th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Personally I like Nokia but thats just me. Also I was checking some phones on that website and some of them have wifi cards already. Now I also browsed around a bit and found that there is skype versions for both j2me and symbian...if you are following that means the phone would get skype rate calls on any hotspot :guitar:

Man I gotta get me one of those. Also no driver except windows CE but there is a microsd wifi card (http://www.slashphone.com/69/5594.html). Now if we can get a symbian or even better, a j2me driver then that would be awesome.

rowanparker
November 18th, 2007, 11:40 AM
I'd never not buy a Nokia.
I had one Moto and it was sooo bad I'm never going near one again.

Most phones now have 3G, a camera, mp3 player, etc.

cklinux
December 14th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Hey guys after hell on earth with Windows Mobile 5 I want a new smartphone with EASY linux sync.
I am considering the following
Palm Treo 650/680 (Palm 4.5.3+)
Motorola A1200e (it is linux based but with no linux connectivity software !!!)
Sony Ericsson P1i (Symbian)
Open for any other sugestions and for info if any of the above or ANY other model at ANY price range WORKS EASILY with Evolution or other PIM.

Thanx