PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] what is the name of this song

-grubby
November 16th, 2007, 11:40 PM
I did I random search for "radiox" into Googlevideo (radiostation in the Game GTA:Sanandreas, plus, I'm bored) anyway, they made a video of themselves playing and I can't remember what song that's playing in the background(it cuts off before the "main" lyrics start) Here's the LINK (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7754298732400620470&q=radio+x&total=2209&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0)

shad0w_walker
November 16th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit

-grubby
November 16th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit

thanks!

Frak
November 17th, 2007, 12:01 AM
That was quick :)

Palmyra
November 17th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Great song, huh? Smells Like Teen Spirit is awesome.

-grubby
November 17th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Great song, huh? Smells Like Teen Spirit is awesome.

weirdest name ever

Frak
November 17th, 2007, 04:15 AM
weirdest name ever
Great song nonetheless

Palmyra
November 17th, 2007, 06:03 AM
weirdest name ever

No, it is not weird at all. If you felt the mood of the song at all, you would know why that name was picked. The story goes that one of Kurt Cobain's friends spray painted "Kurt Smells Like Teen Spirit" on his wall. He understood "smells like teen spirit" to mean something literally being the spirit of teens, whom I suspect were his largest base. His friend actually meant Teen Spirit, a deodorant.

Before I read about this, I was thinking along the lines of Kurt Cobain as well. I thought it meant the drive, or spirit, of teenagers, or the youth, I should say. I still think of it like that, because everything about the song says Kurt Cobain wanted to convey this.

From the onset, the name may sound strange, but when you understand the emergence of the new Generation-X, you see that it does fit well, probably more so than any other song. According to me, it is most representative of the pre-Emo, pre-punk early 90s Gen-X. It can be contrasted with the raw appeal of underground Hip Hop at the time, but in this case, the raw appeal of Gen-X music.

This is the generation that was on one side the "whatever" generation that replied to everything with whatever, and on the other side, the "I don't give a *****" generation. The whatever side represents shows like Clueless, and the I don't give a ******* side represents those who followed Kurt Cobain.

But yes, I dig the song.

crimesaucer
November 17th, 2007, 06:22 AM
"... According to me, it is most representative of the pre-Emo, pre-punk early 90s Gen-X..."

You mean "post-punk" or "post-punk alternative", of which Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, and the Pixies were all part of.

Whatever said in the correct way can also be translated into: "Whatever man... who gives a ****", instead of some late 80's valley girl.

p_quarles
November 17th, 2007, 06:34 AM
According to me, it is most representative of the pre-Emo, pre-punk early 90s Gen-X.
There's no such thing as "pre-punk early 90s Gen-X." Cf. Crass, the Subhumans, the Stooges, the Ramones, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Patti Smith, the Clash, the Buzzcocks, and the Descendants

But, yeah, Kurt Cobain was awesome too.

crimesaucer
November 17th, 2007, 06:40 AM
There's no such thing as "pre-punk early 90s Gen-X." Cf. Crass, the Subhumans, the Stooges, the Ramones, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Patti Smith, the Clash, the Buzzcocks, and the Descendants

But, yeah, Kurt Cobain was awesome too.

Don't forget the Bad Brains since 1978. (pictured in a t-shirt in that video)

p_quarles
November 17th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Don't forget the Bad Brains since 1978. (pictured in a t-shirt in that video)
D'oh. I did forget them. I also forgot Social Distortion, X, and Black Flag. "oops" :)

crimesaucer
November 17th, 2007, 06:45 AM
D'oh. I did forget them. I also forgot Social Distortion, X, and Black Flag. "oops" :)

And too many more to list.

adam.tropics
November 17th, 2007, 10:48 AM
weirdest name ever

Speaking of weird, Weird Al Yankovic did an awesome take off of this track years ago. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixyTNd-Ln38)

crimesaucer
November 17th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Speaking of weird, Weird Al Yankovic did an awesome take off of this track years ago. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixyTNd-Ln38)

No he didn't. I mean, I don't find it "awesome" at all. I can't even think of the word "awesome" being used to describe anything having to do with Weird A Yankovicl.

How could Weird Al even try to clown Nirvana. I can see making fun of Michael Jackson or some other 80's pop bs in such a cheesy way, but not Nirvana.

n3tfury
November 17th, 2007, 08:08 PM
he's done some funny stuff (Amish Paradise), but i agree with crimesaucer, that one was weak.

Frak
November 17th, 2007, 08:49 PM
He had permission from Nirvana to do that, they actually wanted him to do it. Nirvana considered it a sign that they had "made it" as a band.
Quote from MTV from 1994

MTV: What about Weird Al's "Smells Like Nirvana"?

COBAIN: Oh, I laughed my butt off. I thought it was one of the funniest things I ever saw. He has some good people working for him. Those people really know how to... I mean, I'm sure he has a lot to do with it, but they really know how to reproduce things to the T. He had the exact same setup. It's the same video with him in it. It's great.

MTV: Do you go along with the idea that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

COBAIN: Sure. Yeah.

lyceum
November 17th, 2007, 08:55 PM
No, it is not weird at all. If you felt the mood of the song at all, you would know why that name was picked. The story goes that one of Kurt Cobain's friends spray painted "Kurt Smells Like Teen Spirit" on his wall. He understood "smells like teen spirit" to mean something literally being the spirit of teens, whom I suspect were his largest base. His friend actually meant Teen Spirit, a deodorant.

Before I read about this, I was thinking along the lines of Kurt Cobain as well. I thought it meant the drive, or spirit, of teenagers, or the youth, I should say. I still think of it like that, because everything about the song says Kurt Cobain wanted to convey this.

From the onset, the name may sound strange, but when you understand the emergence of the new Generation-X, you see that it does fit well, probably more so than any other song. According to me, it is most representative of the pre-Emo, pre-punk early 90s Gen-X. It can be contrasted with the raw appeal of underground Hip Hop at the time, but in this case, the raw appeal of Gen-X music.

This is the generation that was on one side the "whatever" generation that replied to everything with whatever, and on the other side, the "I don't give a *****" generation. The whatever side represents shows like Clueless, and the I don't give a ******* side represents those who followed Kurt Cobain.

But yes, I dig the song.

The friend was the lead singer of Bikini Kill, and awesome all girl punk band. The song is making fun if traditional youth. We are board, we don't want to think for ourselves, so just entertain us. It is ironic that the people he was mocking found the song so rocking. Very soon after Nirvana hit it big mainstream, the band stopped playing the song. They got sick of it really quick and the fake fans it generated. Also, it is ironic that the person that started this thread is from Washington.

Lostincyberspace
November 17th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Nirvana said they didn't realized they had really made it into the business until he called them up to do a parody.

Palmyra
November 17th, 2007, 09:12 PM

When I say punk, I am talking about musicians like Avil Lavigne. My understanding of punk is different from your understanding of punk, and it is important to keep in mind that I am not a music expert.

How could Weird Al even try to clown Nirvana. I can see making fun of Michael Jackson or some other 80's pop bs in such a cheesy way, but not Nirvana.

Michael Jackson? Pop BS? Funny how Michael Jackson and pop have and will endure for much longer than Nirvana or anything Nirvana inspired. I am not trying to knock Nirvana, but please don't try to diss Michael Jackson and the quality pop music that is out there.

Very soon after Nirvana hit it big mainstream, the band stopped playing the song. They got sick of it really quick and the fake fans it generated.

Fake fans? Yeah, that would include me, because I don't really listen to anything else Nirvana, or any other music similar to Nirvana. I prefer music that isn't drowned with musical instruments so much so you can't pay attention to the lyrics. This is one reason I would like to listen to Creed, but I can't listen to them, because the musical instruments are much too loud. I would much rather listen to the lead singer sing, than listen to all the noise.

n3tfury
November 17th, 2007, 09:27 PM
avril lavigne is considered punk? but i agree with you re: mj. he may be a freak, but when he was on top he was definitely awesome.

lyceum
November 18th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Fake fans? Yeah, that would include me, because I don't really listen to anything else Nirvana, or any other music similar to Nirvana. I prefer music that isn't drowned with musical instruments so much so you can't pay attention to the lyrics. This is one reason I would like to listen to Creed, but I can't listen to them, because the musical instruments are much too loud. I would much rather listen to the lead singer sing, than listen to all the noise.

If you liked Nevermind, you would like In Utro, it was very similar, but with more pop. I always thought Incesticide was their best album myself.

Creed's ex-lead singer has his own project now. I can't tell the difference, but you might want to check them out. Also, you may like Pearl Jam unplugged. I always though Creed sounded like a heavier version of Pearl Jam myself.

Earthwormzim
November 18th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Smells like gay.

-grubby
November 18th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Smells like gay.

what the heck?

adam.tropics
November 18th, 2007, 01:01 AM
what the heck?

Don't feed him.!

Frak
November 18th, 2007, 08:07 AM
what the heck?
Don't feed trolls. They like to hear that.

crimesaucer
November 18th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Michael Jackson? Pop BS? Funny how Michael Jackson and pop have and will endure for much longer than Nirvana or anything Nirvana inspired. I am not trying to knock Nirvana, but please don't try to diss Michael Jackson and the quality pop music that is out there..

Michael Jackson is totally bubblegum pop bs.

Anything after "Thriller" and "Off The Wall" is fake as hell, and the Jackson 5 **** was all a "boy band" gimmick that can't compare to RnB of that time, such as: Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Al Green, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Smokey Robinson, Otis... and everyone else in that early RnB era.

Then when Funk came around, and Disco after that, Michael Jackson was only putting out a "pop" version of the truly funky music that artists like Bootsy Collins, George Clinton, Rick James, Sly Stone, The Meters, Ohio Players, Zapp, Kool and the Gang, Rolls Royce, Earth Wind and Fire, Prince, Morris Day, Gil Scott Heron, Herbie Hancock... and so many other funky musicians were making at that time.

Yeah, Thriller might have had a few good songs on it like "PYT" and "Billie Jean", but even they can't compare to "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" or "Rock With You" from "Off The Wall". Those 2 songs still sound good when spun in the club today. Those are the only songs I still respect of his. And it was probably more Quincy Jones than Michael Jackson anyway.

And even at the time of the Thriller album, Prince with Purple Rain was WAY better than Michael, and Prince never turned into the freak show that Michael Jackson did. Instead Prince did Rainbow Bridge with George Clinton and Aretha Franklin, and then continued to write his own music at a genius level.

As for your comment:

"Michael Jackson and pop have and will endure for much longer than Nirvana or anything Nirvana inspired."

I seriously doubt that. Have you looked around at music today? Seen any silver gloves and crotch grabbing?

Basically no... (maybe some crotch grabbing, Usher... Cisco... and I guess his hair was silver), but really, todays music is much more Kurt than Micheal.

Honestly, the only thing of Micheal Jackson's that will endure longer than the history of Nirvana is Michael's freak-show life: nose jobs, skin lightening, elephant-man bones, Bubbles, little boy fetishs, hair on fire, silver gloves, his baby from the balcony, his fake marriage to Elvis's daughter, his kid wearing a mask, and his slip into insanity only to be joked and parodied for the next 20 years.

"Thats ignorant...you're just ignorant" -(said in a southpark tone)

... Take a look at the music of the last 20 years and you'll see a bunch of grungy long haired screaming vocalists that like to smash their instruments and play loud fast music. Seriously, there has been 17 years of Nirvana inspired bands, and there will always be Nirvana inspired bands in the future... nobody wants to be Michael Jackson.

Kurt Cobain's legend will grow to the status of Jim Morrison, Jon Lennon, and Jimi Hendrix. His songs will always have value.

As for your comment about pop music, I would say that New Edition and Bobby Brown, as well as Boys to Men BBD, had more of an influence on "pop" music than Michael Jackson ever did. And so did early rap.

Pop RnB went a completely different route than what Michael Jackson was doing. Michael Jackson became a type-casted video, packaged with the same sounding song, and the same dance, with the same clothes... (like Justin Timberlake)

Listen to RnB today, there's not much Micheal Jackson influence in anything other than fake corny boy bands like nsync and backstreet boys. (god, I can't believe I just typed those names... it felt so weird.)

If you think about it, Nirvana got the whole world moshing and slam-dancing, and banging their heads to crunchy music. I was around then. I was going to punk clubs in D.C. where everyone had been moshing way before Nirvana had become popular or even existed, but that was the old punk scene.

I had been into newer sounds such as Primus and Janes Addiction, early Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Fishbone, and I was used to moshing at the 9:30 Club to NY bands like 24-7 Spies and Murphy's Law, or local D.C. bands, but once Nirvana hit Mtv, Radiohead was next, and then Soundgarden even got on Mtv, and everything on Mtv and the Radio went from the sound of U2's Joshua Tree, to the sound of Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger, and then even into the sounds of Rage Against the Machine and TOOL.

People today are still finding out how good Kurt Cobain really was. I know I am.

I first heard Nirvana when I was 16.

Back in 1989 my friend had a mix tape of different bands like Mudhoney and L7, and on that tape were some songs from Nirvana Bleach (I love that one). I liked it then, but I didn't really give it a true listening.

Then when Nevermind came out, I immediately liked it because it sounded good as hell, and my favorite punk band "the bad brains" had been represented on one of the mosher's t-shirt.

I got over the video being played so much, and I also got sick of how all these people that I had went to school with (that didn't listen to punk or hardcore), were all of sudden into my music scene. Before that, Guns and Roses was what they listened to.

So, after a few months, I sat down and relistened to Nevermind and I really liked it. I think it was one day that me and some friends really got stoned, and my friend put the tape cassette in and I finally really felt it, plus I got to check out the songs that weren't on Mtv like, "Something In The Way". Plus, I had matured a bit, and Nirvana's music is for the mature and intelligent, the people that have been through some things

Then it seemed that all we played when we went skateboarding and surfing was either Nirvana Bleach/Nevermind, Sonic Youth Dirty, Smashing Pumpkins Gish, or Beastie Boys Pauls' Boutique... I have listened to Nirvana ever since and it just gets better.

-grubby
November 23rd, 2007, 05:01 AM
Don't feed trolls. They like to hear that.

but he's had like 50 legitimate posts?