PDA

View Full Version : Making a postive impact on the world?

phrostbyte
November 16th, 2007, 09:31 AM
What do you do to make a positive impact on the world?

rax_m
November 16th, 2007, 10:23 AM
giving up my lucrative IT career to become an ecologist / zoologist.

xyz
November 16th, 2007, 11:12 AM
I listen to what people have to say...mostly their problems.

curuxz
November 16th, 2007, 01:36 PM
dedicate my life to freeing people from religion and promoting humanity and science

n3tfury
November 16th, 2007, 01:59 PM
recycle and conserve energy when possible. volunteer with local charities to help out and not just during the holiday season.

thx11381974
November 17th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Once I stole my neighbor's news paper, a day later I gave it to a Homeless guy to use as shelter. Also I help put confused young girls (strippers) through college, one dollar at a time.

Kingsley
November 17th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Once I stole my neighbor's news paper, a day later I gave it to a Homeless guy to use as shelter. Also I help put confused young girls (strippers) through college, one dollar at a time.

You're joking but that deserves a serious WTF. :confused:

I recycle and help build houses for poor folks (Habitat for Humanity).

-grubby
November 17th, 2007, 12:55 AM
recycle

happysmileman
November 17th, 2007, 01:02 AM
For now I try stay out of trouble in school, then i plan to go on and study Software Engineering, then, assuming I get good enough I can work on OSS.

I can't think of much i do that benefits other people now, but I suppose I'm not exactly old/rich/skilled enough to do much yet. I did once try to fix a bug in Amarok, but failed horribly, didn't seem hard at the time to do, until i started looking through code :P.

In a non-computer way I recycle stuff, don't litter, I helped hand out leaflets for some play a while agol, but none of those really have that much of an effect in the long run.

popch
November 17th, 2007, 01:12 AM
I am not really interested in making an impact on the world at large. As they say, think globally, act locally.

Locally, I am dedicating some time to a non-profit organisation which provides housing at reasonable costs.

wersdaluv
November 17th, 2007, 01:39 AM
I start by loving my own self, my girlfriend, my family, my close friends...

:KS

:guitar:

ExpatPaul
November 17th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Not so much making a positive impact as minimizing my negative impact, but I cycle to work. It's quite nice in the summer, but I always wonder about my sanity when winter stats drawing in.

Frak
November 17th, 2007, 06:00 AM
I started a recycling program at the school I work for. I funded the entire project until the city happily took the helm.